Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
'Glass slinger
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I began to address this in another thread, but didn't want to jack it. In any case, I wanted to address this post by Tom.

It would be nice if the forums were a little more permissive, with regard to what people are allowed to say, but it is what it is.

I feel the same way, but with a twist...

Lots of people were lurkers on the other board, and stayed that way because of the non-sensical stuff, post whoring and drama-only threads. I have participated fully in many of those threads, and hate censorship more than anyone you will ever meet, but have to agree that there is a place for them, and people who are interested in them can go there.

I like this mags policy of moving instead of deleting for the most part. I think they are trying to find a balance between one persons liberty to say, post or reply whatever occurs to them, and the negative effect that a small number of people can have because the same people do that over and over again.

The problem is that many of these types of thread starters are only doing it for the attention and not to encourage discussion or dialogue, so by moving the threads from a high visibility area to a low visibility area they actually feel that they have been censored. I don't think that taking away the main stage and putting these threads on a side stage is the same thing as deleting and censoring them.

By the time one person posts up that they hate post whores, spamming, scatalogical humor or anything else of that nature, they are way past pissed. While people should learn to ignore stuff that they don't like and grow a damn skin... the people doing the posting should act like they are in a social environment and not do things that piss other people off intentionally.

I have said my piece on post count races, attention whores and the like, and the sentiments are on record.

In closing... I appreciate the effort that the site is going through to encourage on-topic discussion related to the social and mechanical aspects of boating, and don't have a problem with poo-threads being moved.

There... rant over.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I began to address this in another thread, but didn't want to jack it. In any case, I wanted to address this post by Tom.

Lots of people were lurkers on the other board, and stayed that way because of the non-sensical stuff, post whoring and drama-only threads. I have participated fully in many of those threads, and hate censorship more than anyone you will ever meet, but have to agree that there is a place for them, and people who are interested in them can go there.

I like this mags policy of moving instead of deleting for the most part. I think they are trying to find a balance between one persons liberty to say, post or reply whatever occurs to them, and the negative effect that a small number of people can have because the same people do that over and over again.

The problem is that many of these types of thread starters are only doing it for the attention and not to encourage discussion or dialogue, so by moving the threads from a high visibility area to a low visibility area they actually feel that they have been censored. I don't think that taking away the main stage and putting these threads on a side stage is the same thing as deleting and censoring them.

By the time one person posts up that they hate post whores, spamming, scatalogical humor or anything else of that nature, they are way past pissed. While people should learn to ignore stuff that they don't like and grow a damn skin... the people doing the posting should act like they are in a social environment and not do things that piss other people off intentionally.

I have said my piece on post count races, attention whores and the like, and the sentiments are on record.

In closing... I appreciate the effort that the site is going through to encourage on-topic discussion related to the social and mechanical aspects of boating, and don't have a problem with poo-threads being moved.

There... rant over.
I would like to take this moment to say BNB SUX...

·
'Glass slinger
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to take this moment to say BNB SUX...
Seriously. The problem is, if you have one wacko, it makes people set rules for that new lowest common denominator, and good contributors that don't deserve censor are put on the same block.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,098 Posts

There... rant over.

No rant ........

"The people doing the posting should act like they are in a social environment...." I guess the problem there is what social environment ? A private club, a party with like minded friends or a public restaurant?

Some have social skill's that need improvement.

Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover:D

·
'Glass slinger
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No rant ........

"The people doing the posting should act like they are in a social environment...." I guess the problem there is what social environment ? A private club, a party with like minded friends or a public restaurant?

Some have social skill's that need improvement.

Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover:D
I think it is important to interact with anyone, at any level, in any medium like they are in the room with you, and there may be consequences for your sentiments.

As was mentioned when discussing this yesterday, if you are in a room with four people, and someone says "Don't you ever shut up?" a very uncomfortable silence will fall over the room, and the person it is directed at will look around, see if the sentiment is shared and then either shut up or leave. That doesn't happen on the internet.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i think there should be an aera for anything goes but i like the tech stuff the best. people helping people.......

first post:)hand

·
Canatard
3,341 Posts
Lots of people were lurkers on the other board, and stayed that way because of the non-sensical stuff, post whoring and drama-only threads.
I have no doubt, a more sedate environment will lure out some people who would not have de-cloaked on HotBoat.

On the other hand, there are some long time Internet hoes that aren't particularly interested in this place and prefer a more permissive environment like RD's Place.

I've heard a couple of prominent business people comment that the drama drives away potential business. I believe this is true but just as someone might not step up and ask a question or introduce themselves amidst a bunch of drama, others might not hang around a place where significant quantities of posts have been deleted that do not violate an objective rule set. Yes, I'm talking about this place.

If I knew how to provide some protection for the people who require it and provide the freedom others require, I would certainly offer that knowledge as a suggestion. I have no such knowledge.

Perhaps the bottom line is that not every site needs to suit everyone. This site certainly has plenty to offer and I'm sure it will do well. In fact, the current situation is probably the best case scenario.

·
Box Pimp
2,260 Posts
I have doubt, a more sedate environment will lure out some people who would not have de-cloaked on HotBoat.

On the other hand, there are some long time Internet hoes that aren't particularly interested in this place and prefer a more permissive environment like RD's Place.

I've heard a couple of prominent business people comment that the drama drives away potential business. I believe this is true but just as someone might not step up and ask a question or introduce themselves amidst a bunch of drama, others might not hang around a place where significant quantities of posts have been deleted that do not violate an objective rule set. Yes, I'm talking about this place.

If I knew how to provide some protection for the people who require it and provide the freedom others require, I would certainly offer that knowledge as a suggestion.

Perhaps the bottom line is that not every site needs to suit everyone. This site certainly has plenty to offer and I'm sure it will do well. In fact, the current situation is probably the best case scenario.

To Hell with you Brown! I am tired of your nonsense!!! :((((((

·
Nordic 35' Flame
529 Posts
This from someone who's Avitar is an abundance of shit humor...I love this country!!!

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
Throw a RickRoll in here and it'll be moved quick. :D

You cannot Censor Rick!!!!!

·
PB Administrator
1,205 Posts
I've been working all day and I am a little upset this hasn't been moved to GWS yet. :|err
Not a candidate.

Tom's comments are dead on, and I am going to take a moment to address them here.

This site might not be for everyone, or more correctly it might not be for everyone all of the time. Our goal is to create the largest community that appeals to the most people the greatest percentage of true boaters most of the time.

There are other sites available with a personal flare to them that might be perfect for you. If you enjoy waking up every morning and posting a thread about what you had for breakfast great, just don't do it here. The sandbar on Hot Boat had some great threads posted. Often they were on the second page in a matter of minutes due to a barrage of threads created either to bitch and be negative or simply to fill up space.

We are constantly refining the site and our rules, and if I can think of a way to reduce the restrictions without causing the site to turn into a copy of what HB was then great.

To reiterate what Tom says. Not every site has to suit everyone. Our mission is to reach to the largest relevant group possible. We plan on doing this not only through the forums, but through a large collection of content that will be very useful to boaters.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Personally, I really like the way this site is shaping up. So far it is very amicable and I sure don't miss the B.S. from hotboat.

Cudos to all involved in making it happen!

Ken F

1 - 19 of 19 Posts