Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a bit if searching and couldn't come up with the answers I needed so here's a question; What is the purpose of the small center cav plates I see on some v bottom v-drives and would this be a worthwhile addition to my Spectra since I'm in cav plate mode? I could flatten the section between the cav plates (outlined in red below) and add one to the bottom, or mount it on the transom like others I've seen. If I mount it to the bottom, there would be a step from the back of the blast plate to the little cav plate.
Any input would be appreciated.

little_cav.jpg

·
Registered
544 Posts
Cav plates

From the boats I have observed and my Schiada I would run from out side edge of the boat to the center. No flat only 2 plates.

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the boats I have observed and my Schiada I would run from out side edge of the boat to the center. No flat only 2 plates.
This boat has a rounded keel. Can't run the plates all the way to the center.

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
126 views and no one has any input on this? :notsure:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pads are usually for out boards or stern drives. I know what you are doing with making the hull plane on the stakes and the pad for a more efficient hull, but v drives can be a bit weird with lift.
George will tell you to get the strut as tight and shallow as possible if you go this route. You will have to balance the boat very carefully and motor placement. Talk to George.
Bob on the other hand would say the further he put the prop under the boat, it ran faster and the stakes ending before the strut.
Both guys were very successful with thier setups.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also to be clear. I'm not speaking for anybody, it was advice given on a boat like yours. With the strakes kinda like yours, it was fast with little power. It would start to chine walk. I'm sure if I had the want for the boat I had, George would have sorted it out in person. He helped thru advice and I agree with his aproach, I sold the boat and got my first schiada at that time for more room. Ha.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey Scott, I have no personal knowledge of how this impacts performance but I believe I have seen these on a Cole and an Eliminator, I was told they are called a Delta Pad and they were playing with them on these rounded Keels. The Cole was interesting and I know someone has to know this boat, so if I am mis-remembering please correct me, I did a quick search but could not find a pic of the transom. The boat was all red and named Rushin Roulette. I saw the boat at B&K boats in Bellflower with 3/4 of the port side blown out of it after it hit the water hard running pretty quick, my memory is telling my that boat had a delta Pad. The Eliminator was a day cruiser with a blown BBC that was pretty healthy and it ran good. Maybe try and track down some of the old Cole or Eliminator guys and learn from their experiments with this. ill try and track down the gent with the eliminator and get some intel.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
For what it's worth. I have had 3 Eliminator cruisers 2 21 ft And currently have a 20 ft v-drive, none of them have been race boats but all never had a flat center plate. Just a question, why would you add a skid plate to a boat with a V-bottom especially a cruiser.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Center pad on V drive cruiser.

This is how my 21' Eliminator V drive was set up when I got it. The Minegar family owned it for years and did many upgrades with the guidance of Phil Bergeron. This one has a center plate as I believe you were asking about. Please forgive the condition of the trailer. I has been completely rebuilt.

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
This is how my 21' Eliminator V drive was set up when I got it. The Minegar family owned it for years and did many upgrades with the guidance of Phil Bergeron. This one has a center plate as I believe you were asking about. Please forgive the condition of the trailer. I has been completely rebuilt.

Paul
Hi Paul! I personally never seen an Eliminator set up like that but have seen other manufactured with a center plate so I can't respond as educated as Phil Bergeron R.I.P. I do know my 20ft Eliminator runs and turns with-out one just great. Not a triple digit boat by no means but this is a family boat. M

·
Village Idiot
3,533 Posts
Scott, I stayed out of it as I have next to no experience with v-bottoms. Any info I would give would be a guess at best. With all the work you have done I would hate to give you bad advice.

Paul

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I started a thread on the V-Drive page on FB and got some really good information, especially from George Shilala. Turns out that simply adding a small cav plate wouldn't be effective and as narrow as it is, could be counter productive. I have learned, however that a true delta pad for teh bottom of this boat is the way to go with it;s rounded keel, so it seems this bottom project will enter into phase 3.

The back will be squared off with the cav plates but this is the general idea. 1 degree taper off the keel, ~8" wide at the transom. Now we're talkin'. :partyguy:

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Paul! I personally never seen an Eliminator set up like that but have seen other manufactured with a center plate so I can't respond as educated as Phil Bergeron R.I.P. I do know my 20ft Eliminator runs and turns with-out one just great. Not a triple digit boat by no means but this is a family boat. M
Eliminator made a 21' with a delta bottom but it was signed more for stern drive. It was called the Monaco and I know of only one. For anything with a round keel, seems the delta bottom is the hot ticket.

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Paul
Thanks Paul. Does this boat have a delta bottom or just the added plate on the transom?

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Scott, I have no personal knowledge of how this impacts performance but I believe I have seen these on a Cole and an Eliminator, I was told they are called a Delta Pad and they were playing with them on these rounded Keels. The Cole was interesting and I know someone has to know this boat, so if I am mis-remembering please correct me, I did a quick search but could not find a pic of the transom. The boat was all red and named Rushin Roulette. I saw the boat at B&K boats in Bellflower with 3/4 of the port side blown out of it after it hit the water hard running pretty quick, my memory is telling my that boat had a delta Pad. The Eliminator was a day cruiser with a blown BBC that was pretty healthy and it ran good. Maybe try and track down some of the old Cole or Eliminator guys and learn from their experiments with this. ill try and track down the gent with the eliminator and get some intel.
That Cole is a very cool boat. I know a guy very well (built a couple engines for him) who had the 21' Eliminator with the delta bottom. The boat was rock solid at almost 100mph. Took a little more power to get there but none the less. Thanks!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Rounded keel?

Scott, mine has the rounded keel. I never drove the boat prior to the center plate being added so I do not have any data for you on that. I'm not running a lot of HP(Maybe 450) and 15% gears behind a PG trans. It tach's at 6000 at around 60 MPH. The engine has more RPM left in it but I'm out of gear. The next step is to swap out the 15% gears for some 29's. (Not fun on the C-500 cases). That should load the engine a little more as well as hopefully increase my MPH by a few.

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had a great conversation with George Shilala yesterday. Not going to go with the Delta pad after making the changes to the strakes. We have a new game plan. George was a great guy to talk with and was gracious enough to answer all my questions and offer lots of very good advice. :thumb:

·
Village Idiot
3,533 Posts
Good to hear you feel good about the direction you are taking. I still enjoy your build thread.

Now if we can just get some engine talk going here.

Paul

·
Upstanding Member
12,715 Posts
Had a great conversation with George Shilala yesterday. Not going to go with the Delta pad after making the changes to the strakes. We have a new game plan. George was a great guy to talk with and was gracious enough to answer all my questions and offer lots of very good advice. :thumb:

He's the right guy to listen too on this. :))THumbsUp

1 - 20 of 25 Posts