Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 460 has 2 600 cfm vac sec holleys now. Interested in upsizing but don't want to buy new because they'd be for short time use. The engine is low compression, dished pistons, d3 heads. I don't have cam numbers but it's got a lot of lope to it, I know bad cam info!! Question is... 2 750 dp or could I get away with 2 850 dp. I know I didn't give much info, don't really know what to provide. Please ask what ever you need. Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
My 460 has 2 600 cfm vac sec holleys now. Interested in upsizing but don't want to buy new because they'd be for short time use. The engine is low compression, dished pistons, d3 heads. I don't have cam numbers but it's got a lot of lope to it, I know bad cam info!! Question is... 2 750 dp or could I get away with 2 850 dp. I know I didn't give much info, don't really know what to provide. Please ask what ever you need. Thanks!!!
And you interested in upsizing from a current potential of 1200 cfm, which I doubt you pulling in now, because why....?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Oh wow!!! I'm usually a pretty nice guy and I have laugh when I read guys bickering on the Internet but you, my friend, are something special!! Are you a complete dick in person too?
Don't hate the messenger, hate the message. Take a seocnd and think about what he's asking you...what are your goals? It's hard to give you advice on something unknown...if you don't know, how are we supposed to know?
Low compression, lots of cam overlap...you don't need bigger carbs, BUT...if you're trying to pick carbs for another build and just use them on this engine for now, that's a different story. For this engine, bigger carbs will doubtfully gain anything.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Don't hate the messenger, hate the message. Take a seocnd and think about what he's asking you...what are your goals? It's hard to give you advice on something unknown...if you don't know, how are we supposed to know?
Low compression, lots of cam overlap...you don't need bigger carbs, BUT...if you're trying to pick carbs for another build and just use them on this engine for now, that's a different story. For this engine, bigger carbs will doubtfully gain anything.
Is the proposed engine a warmed over version of this one, or one of Jon Kaase's killers. How long till you think you will be building the "new" engine"

How would anybody know if you will need 2 650 double pumpers, or 2 1250 dominators.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
931 Posts
Just going by your post, read your plugs, and go from there. If you are upgrading your engine to something with high hp, get the 750's when you do. I am no Carb guru, but if it works now, run it, and get the big holleys when you upgrade. Summer is here, enjoy!!!

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
How would anybody know if you will need 2 650 double pumpers, or 2 1250 dominators.
Because bigger is always better you idiot :p ;)

Hell they make 1,400's now he should use them.

S CP ;)

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
do you relealize that CFM need is dependant upon CI and RPM ?

What RPM does this engine turn and what do you plan on turning in the future ?

S CP :)bulb

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Just going by your post, read your plugs, and go from there. If you are upgrading your engine to something with high hp, get the 750's when you do. I am no Carb guru, but if it works now, run it, and get the big holleys when you upgrade. Summer is here, enjoy!!!
WOOP! There it is.:)devil

Keep in mind 08VMAX, if your engine doesn't take in 1200 CFM now, and it is doubtfull it does, then going to larger carbs does nothing but take away throttle response. Just because you have 2 850s does not mean it is taking in 1700. It will not pull ingest any more air jsut because you increase the size of the carbs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts