Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this little problem wont sound like much after what happened saturday night, but I think everyone should be aware
I had to camp by the main launch, no room in the cove, had the hydro on the trailer sitting in my spot and had placer sherrif pull up in their boat, beach it and they got walked up and around the hydro asking whos boat, when I told them it was mine they asked wheres the CF numbers, I told them it was a race boat and had no numbers, they wanted to know where the HIN numbers were, told them again its a race boat and has no numbers, I was told not to put it in the water because CFW is a public lake, I told them it only runs in the cove, early morning and late evening, they said they dont care it has no CF numbers, well apparently they said I was giving them dirty looks and threatened to impound the hydro for being an undocumented vessel and then threatened to go into the cove and start checkin and enforcing all the laws over there and they said they would tell everyone to thank the guy with the black hydro, also they harrased a couple of the clearlake about not havin baffles in the headers, is CFW turning into another typical lake where the law enforment are a bunch of asses, I thought if we keep our fast boats in the cove and not bring them out into the main body we wouldnt have issuses, just thought everyone had the right to know what is happening with the local sherrifs at the lake

· Registered
7,995 Posts
Sooner than later

I know that this little problem wont sound like much after what happened saturday night, but I think everyone should be aware
just thought everyone had the right to know what is happening with the local sherrifs at the lake
Based on Saturday's tragedy I'm sure a lot will change at CFW. Rule enforcement will be very strict for a while. Remember, these cops will have to explain to their supervisors how the tragedy was allowed to happen on public water. All the old "look the other way" attitudes will disappear. I've seen it before, and I'm sure I'll see it again........Ray

· Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's always been that way! The only place you can get away with it is @ the track! I guy has to be on his toes in these hard times!
I've been going to CFW for years and have never been harassed for open headers, I just cant get over the fact that they made it a point to beach their and and make threats when the boat wasnt on the water, I could understand if it was bein run out of the cove, but whatever, I'm get it numbered this week, so no more threating ass sherrifs

· Registered
1,800 Posts
Earlier in the week the sheriff made a couple of fly bye's in the cove. He was looking at registration.

As Cole Man II & Wake up call learned zoomies & open headers were not a concern. Quote from sherriff "I am not worried about you guys."

· Registered
1,186 Posts
ill add to it. I'm a deputy sheriff so i know where they are coming from. (sorta) . your boat was on a licensed and registered trailer. the boat was not wet. they have no legal right in any way to impound the boat. as far as cf numbers. it don't need to have them when its not in the water. no hin numbers are identification but thats if you feel it could be stolen or tampered with. on impound only time this can be done is from fish and game and is if its a fishing boat and if you have fishing equipment to give reasonable suspicion that you may have fish hidden. or you are arrested on the lake in the boat. as far as dirty looks f$%k them I get them all the time and if you cant look past it then they might want to re consider the job. shit head cops like that make us look bad and is the reason were not liked by some. I saw your boat and a whole lot of others that are the same way . he should be frickin glad you were at least honest with him about it being a race boat and yes you have launched it. i got to stop now I'm pissing myself off. tell the bast%$D to look at section 22651 cvc and that will give him a frickin idea.

· Registered
1,186 Posts
like morg posted they weren't looking at zoomies then why the f^%k you looking at registration why dint they sit in the f*&kn green boat and do there job keeping the jet skis out of the cove for safety and have a good time and enjoy it. its almost profiling in a way you got to be careful telling one its OK to break the law and hit the next when we all see it.

· Premium Member
3,356 Posts
Have to agree with 77 Charger and Ray's comments. I'm working really hard to get my house finished and sold so I can move back to NorCal and be able to run with my kind of guys. I'm afraid CFW as we know it will be gone by the time I get back out west.
We all should be diligent in making sure we are in compliance with the few simple rules required (registration #'s, horn, throwable cushion, etc.)to run on any public lake.
In regards to safety (RACE JACKETS, SAFETY COLLARS, KILL SWITCH, ETC.) we are so lucky to have a place like CFW to run fast & loud, it is really foolish to not run without the proper safety gear. It not only is an endangerment to yourself, it will eventually get CFW shut down.
When I heard about Frank's crash today I was sick to my stomach, since my own son crashed only 2 months ago. Steve was lucky (was wearing a Lifeline jacket, but no helmet!). I apologize for the rant and mean no disrespect for Frank, I'm just really upset that a life was lost and it was preventable. Again, sorry for the rant..........Jocko

· Registered
2,149 Posts
I am probably going to come off sounding like a total dick when I say this....

Someone died Saturday night. look at the side of the Sheriff's truck and boat, "To Serve And Protect", these guys are doing nothing other than what they get paid to do. I have to feel some compassion for someone who has the horrific and thankless job of diving to recover someones Father, Son or Brother from the scene of an accident.

One of my best friends was a search and rescue Sheriff on the river and some of the stories he told would make you think twice about smack talking anyone with a job description that includes recovery.

These people deserve the respect and common courtesy they have earned by taking a job that IMO very few people could do.

Not trying to stir the pot, just trying to give credit where credit is do.

I am not going to say there are no "bad cops", but the vast majority are heroes in my mind.

GT :)hand

· Registered
1,186 Posts
i pray for the family of a loved one lost. yes they are doing there job and even i appreciate it. but its how we conduct ourselves. i heard of the loss today of a fellow boater who i really dont know. it is heart crushing when we hear of this because i have found the hot boat community is so close. i am very saddened to hear this , god bless all of us who drive and own these machines . i never like to hear the news of this nor does anyone else.

· Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have nothing but respect for law enforcment, this all happened saturday early afternoon, all the sherrifs out there know that MOST of us have respect for the rules of CFW when it comes to the fast boats about "keep it in the cove", I just dont understand why I was harassed when the boat was on the trailer and not in the water

· Registered
205 Posts
well , it was my first time out , and i was pretty dissapointed, all the jet skies, wake board boats , and idiots in bayliners, i was so pissed that i just loaded up my jet and took it 3 hours down the freeway to go home ,, i dont know if it is always that way or not , i tried to get away form the fools and followed a buddy over to the cliffs, as we got there a placer county sheriff pulled up and asked me if i had my bafflels in, i thought he was joking , so i said ugh ya. then he went ober and askedmy buddy if he had his, he said no , the officer gave him a big rash of shit, it was only then that i relized the he was serious , so i halled ass before he relized i was lieing to him,,, all an all the weekend kinda sucked,

i tried to show respect while in the cove , i only ran a few times, and always tried to idle while close to shore, and make the smallest wake possiable, i dont understand why , all the others either dont get it or dont care, but it made runs in even my jet a little sketchey,

so my question is ,, is it always that way , and if so why dont the cops shut down the cove to all non hot boats, for saftey if nothing else?

· "Try it Now!"
3,614 Posts
U know, they should have just walked up and gave you an "information only" friendly chat, along the lines of "hey, nice boat, but just so you know, technically you have to have cf numbers on this if u put it in the water, so be careful..blah blah blah" PR stuff goes a long way in that line of work. They do, however, have a job to do. They just need to work on how to sell it. Yes, it would be tough to deal with a bunch of cocky boat owners all day long, but just the same they have to know their audience.

That being said, for them to even mention the "dirty looks" thing is a freakin joke. Darn deputies used to dealing with inmates while workin' in the jail,...those conversations dont' go over well with the general public! (just joking deputies). I can't imagine being pulled over for something, and the cop saying "thank the guy with the black hydro" LOL id say, "hey the guy in the black hydro isn't the one writing me a ticket right now dumbass!" LOL.

Hydroman 916, if i get stopped ever again in the future it's your fault damnit!

· Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the dirty looks thing is kinda funny, because for aslong as I can remember i"ve been told by many people "why did you give me a dirty look", even my girl asks the same thing, half the time I wasnt givin any kind of look, I guess I do it with out tryin to, and you are right if they would have just come up and gave some advise about havin CF #s it would have been fine, but to get of the boat with attitude and threats is bullsh*t

· Registered
1,281 Posts
Franks family, deepest condolences for your loss.

There are a lot of good points of view on the harrassement, and the crash. Like my father and many others have said, we have to be careful to protect our PRIVELAGE TO RUN BOATS LIKE OURS.Unfortunately, there are plenty of noise laws that would prevent us from running these boats, so be as legal as possible, dont give them anything extra to bit** about. I have had the sherriff check my numbers 4 times in the 12 years Ive been going there.

Like my old man said above, I was the last cfw crash, and I got chills when I heard of this.Might be many different circumstances, but similar powered v drives, different lifejacket! Many others have said they didnt have lifelines due to the cost. Look at what we spend on gas for a weekend, or how much we have in our boats. Get the good jackets on.

Again, thoughts and prayers to the family and the boating community on the loss of a friend..

· Registered
2,149 Posts
I have nothing but respect for law enforcment, this all happened saturday early afternoon, all the sherrifs out there know that MOST of us have respect for the rules of CFW when it comes to the fast boats about "keep it in the cove", I just dont understand why I was harassed when the boat was on the trailer and not in the water
I totally understand where you are coming from, and have been on the receiving end before, but on the other side of where you stand, someone passed away on their watch, they feel they did not do enough. If you were in their shoes, how would that make you feel?

One thing is certain, you cannot protect someone from themselves, all you can do is make your presence known and hope that your making rounds and just pointing out potential safety and legal issues are enough.

If you are aware of other people that have the perception that you sometimes give off a dirty look, then maybe an extra effort should be made on your part to make adjustments to your attitude. (if you actually had one at the time).

Don't get me wrong, I don't know you and I'm making assumptions based on your own post, but I am certain we know some of the same people and will definately bump into eachother someday soon. I have been accused of giving off some negative energy myself, and have had to make an effort to keep it positive. It's easier to piss someone off than to drop your guard and make an effort to be positive.

GT :)hand

· Registered
7,995 Posts
Cove restrictions

I have only been to CFW once. It was New Years weekend. We, hot boaters, were not allowed to camp on the "cove" side, and were told we couldn't run there because the "Wakeboarders" would be there using the cove!!! Guess what? The wakeboarders never showed up because of the weather. Rainy and windy all weekend, and the rising water was up to the entrance bridge on the south side.....A lot of sticks and logs floating, and still, the few boats that went out were flying through the debris......I loaded up enough logs on my deck to build a nice fire when they dried out. I brought my old Tahiti jet as a "tow barge", and possible rescue boat if anything happened. The staff required I pay for the weekend for the boat, whether it hit the water or not!!! Not cool, IMO, since they had nothing to respond to an emergency, and should have welcomed a service boat with open arms......Maybe it was the "off season" and they needed every last dime to survive, I don't know. I would go back if I was in the area for something else, but not a specific CFW trip. Now I'm hearing the "look the other way" attitude of LE is changing, just like everywhere else......Sorry for the rant.......Ray

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.