Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Brendella 2" Runner NoS
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the terrible loss of our fellow V-Driver, it's now time to make sure we take responsibility for making CFW a more safe, organized, and fun event.

Here are my thoughts, please add or edit as you please.

1. We all Step-Up our Individual Safety Standards.
a. Gear; vests, helmets, sure, I'll wear an open face.
b. No booze if you're going to be driving.
c. The rig; steering, kills switches, Whirl-a-Ways, etc.
d. Finally, the pass. Let's realize that water conditions, other boats, wind, and your own inability to take your foot out of it. Yes, you know who you are. I'm guilty as well, but remember, "the longer you stay in it, the better your chances are of something going wrong." I made some passes at CFW in '01 that were legendary in my own mind, starting at very shallow the end of the cove and went all the way out, damn near 1/2 way to the bridge! That was stupid, I know that now, I was just so excited to be there....

2. We all are *required* to assess, evaluate, and assist in a fellow V-Drivers rig. This means not only ensuring your own machine is up to safety standards, but also being aware of your friends or fellow hot boater if you see something. A fresh set of eyes looking at our rig can sometimes spot something we may have missed. So when we are admiring our fellow boaters machine, we should always talk about safety. So talk about speed, [email protected]$$ go-fast goodies, how she takes a set, but also safety. I hear this all the time with my 2” Runner Brendella Dragster.

3. Policing the Event: Cash Up-Front.
(Cash contributions pooled together for each event to pay a couple boaters in their 'float boats' (ski boats and a jet ski, whatever) to be on-hand to:
a. Keep the jet skiers out of 1/4 mile cove. Sorry, you guys have the entire lake, we need you away from the area. Some rope and bright buoys will mark the spots, the float boats will enforce. Later in the evening, we could use the bouys for boat crossing for times – fun stuff.
b. Quickly arrive at the scene should something go wrong.
c. Direct traffic, alert racers, and be in communication with the shore.

4. Right Of Passage:
a. Can we all agree that we'll make some races in one direction instead of racing back-forth? ( I'm also guilty of this).
b. Should we always go counter clockwise and reduce speeds on the downwind and final approach?
c. Time between runs, the waves Jesus we kick-up some sh^t water.
d. Limit to 2 boats wide? I hate this one because there's nothing better than racing 4-5 boats wide – I LOVE this, one of my favorite things to do and witness a CFW! Should we limit this to only 2 boats at a time?
e. How about a flag on the shore, I raced a guy and then realized I was fairly close (within 100 feet) to a hydro that had stalled off the shore. I have this on video and feel like an assh^ole for not doing the right thing and getting out of it! Also when I was a CFW rookie, but what if my boat went hard right at the wrong time?

5. Have a least one person in the group that has some medical training.
a. CPR training.
b. Emergency tech basics, check for this first, than that, etc.
c. Tie a tournicate, I can do this one.
d. Some basic medical supplies on hand.
e. Neck restraint for pulling someone on the beach. I
(Can you imagine if we were better prepared and actually either saved a
Life or prevented further physical damager just because we have a home-built neck restraint for of our injured V-Drivers).
f. Does anyone know where the nearest hospital is? This should be a must in case we need to make a drive and moments count.

6. Sanction The Event:
a. Can we somehow illustrate to the powers that be that we are making some radical and necessary changes to ¼ Mile Cove @ CFW?
b. Can we avoid closure of this great place?
c. Who can we lobby to ensure that a knee-jerk reaction will not forever banish us from CFW?
d. What other lakes and reservoirs will follow the same suit?

- Gary Arneson

·
Registered
234 Posts
Great post ..... Looks like you have put a lot of thought into this ... What you have described sounds more-like a sanctioned race deal .... But i agree , something must be done ..... The caliber of boats that i have scene in some of the pics , in my opinion , Way to much to be running on the same waters as & at the same time along with Jet-skis & wake-boats & party barges ....... As bad as things turned out .... Could of been much worse ..... Little johnny & his kid sister not paying attention on a jet ski gets vaporized by hydro at 130 MPH + Well you see what i getting at , Don't want the powers at be to have any more ammo or reasons to enforce even more rules on the hot boat crowd .... To many of those already .

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
With the terrible loss of our fellow V-Driver, it's now time to make sure we take responsibility for making CFW a more safe, organized, and fun event.

Here are my thoughts, please add or edit as you please.

1. We all Step-Up our Individual Safety Standards.
a. Gear; vests, helmets, sure, I'll wear an open face.
b. No booze if you're going to be driving.
c. The rig; steering, kills switches, Whirl-a-Ways, etc.
d. Finally, the pass. Let's realize that water conditions, other boats, wind, and your own inability to take your foot out of it. Yes, you know who you are. I'm guilty as well, but remember, "the longer you stay in it, the better your chances are of something going wrong." I made some passes at CFW in '01 that were legendary in my own mind, starting at very shallow the end of the cove and went all the way out, damn near 1/2 way to the bridge! That was stupid, I know that now, I was just so excited to be there....

There is no way I could agree with this any more :)devil

2. We all are *required* to assess, evaluate, and assist in a fellow V-Drivers rig. This means not only ensuring your own machine is up to safety standards, but also being aware of your friends or fellow hot boater if you see something. A fresh set of eyes looking at our rig can sometimes spot something we may have missed. So when we are admiring our fellow boaters machine, we should always talk about safety. So talk about speed, [email protected]$$ go-fast goodies, how she takes a set, but also safety. I hear this all the time with my 2” Runner Brendella Dragster.
While I like the idea, I see problems as well, there are way too many different personalities and I think this is asking for petty little pissing matches and arguments, what happens then?

Maybe make it fun by calling it a boat show, also how will you identify which boats have been "evaluated"?

I don't disagree, but I would be careful.

3. Policing the Event: Cash Up-Front.
(Cash contributions pooled together for each event to pay a couple boaters in their 'float boats' (ski boats and a jet ski, whatever) to be on-hand to:
a. Keep the jet skiers out of 1/4 mile cove. Sorry, you guys have the entire lake, we need you away from the area. Some rope and bright buoys will mark the spots, the float boats will enforce. Later in the evening, we could use the bouys for boat crossing for times – fun stuff.
b. Quickly arrive at the scene should something go wrong.
c. Direct traffic, alert racers, and be in communication with the shore.

I like this also, but.....to keep the whining down to a minimum, allow some type of Jet Ski "sub event" so that the exclusion is less abrasive. Just a thought (they can't complain if allowed to participate).

4. Right Of Passage:
a. Can we all agree that we'll make some races in one direction instead of racing back-forth? ( I'm also guilty of this).
b. Should we always go counter clockwise and reduce speeds on the downwind and final approach?
c. Time between runs, the waves Jesus we kick-up some sh^t water.
d. Limit to 2 boats wide? I hate this one because there's nothing better than racing 4-5 boats wide – I LOVE this, one of my favorite things to do and witness a CFW! Should we limit this to only 2 boats at a time?
e. How about a flag on the shore, I raced a guy and then realized I was fairly close (within 100 feet) to a hydro that had stalled off the shore. I have this on video and feel like an assh^ole for not doing the right thing and getting out of it! Also when I was a CFW rookie, but what if my boat went hard right at the wrong time?

Some kind of warning system would be great.

5. Have a least one person in the group that has some medical training.
a. CPR training.
b. Emergency tech basics, check for this first, than that, etc.
c. Tie a tournicate, I can do this one.
d. Some basic medical supplies on hand.
e. Neck restraint for pulling someone on the beach. I
(Can you imagine if we were better prepared and actually either saved a
Life or prevented further physical damager just because we have a home-built neck restraint for of our injured V-Drivers).
f. Does anyone know where the nearest hospital is? This should be a must in case we need to make a drive and moments count.

Cool! Be careful again of legal liabilities.

6. Sanction The Event:
a. Can we somehow illustrate to the powers that be that we are making some radical and necessary changes to ¼ Mile Cove @ CFW?
b. Can we avoid closure of this great place?
c. Who can we lobby to ensure that a knee-jerk reaction will not forever banish us from CFW?
d. What other lakes and reservoirs will follow the same suit?
This is an awsome start. Thanks for taking the time.

We lost the use of the Rogue River for many years because of all the "green people", we recently ran a race there and it was awsome, unfortunately the economy blows and there are no races scheduled for this year, still, we got the use of the river back and it was sorely missed, if everyone thought like you are, we may not have lost it to begin with.

We used to have several racetracks for Sprint cars, Late Models and Motorcycles, not to mention Drag Racing, they are all but gone now.

If something proactive is not done, these types of places will be gone too...

GT :)hand

·
Registered
380 Posts
You're not gonna like this but cancel the Father's Day event altogether and plan something else. After those plans are made.....DO NOT POST IT ON THE INTERNET!! Stick to your group of friends....you know, the ones with common sense.

In the beginning of attending CFW outings I had lots of fun. Last 3 yrs I could really careless about the place, except for casual, low key, non advertised, telephoned invites. Then and only then its enjoyable.

Your ideas are great but realistically don't think it could happen.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
You're not gonna like this but cancel the Father's Day event altogether and plan something else. After those plans are made.....DO NOT POST IT ON THE INTERNET!! Stick to your group of friends....you know, the ones with common sense.

In the beginning of attending CFW outings I had lots of fun. Last 3 yrs I could really careless about the place, except for casual, low key, non advertised, telephoned invites. Then and only then its enjoyable.
Ding Ding Ding...We have a winner....Thats the best idea yet.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Exactly.
No more "role calls".
Anybody asks me my answer will be "Camp Far Where?"
You are probably right ..... That would work and then we would have small and very secret groups getting together ........ Over the years ... I see the powers at be passing more & more laws & regulations that seem to limit our type of boats from public water ways .... It would seem to me that just the opposite should take place ..... The louder the noise , The more will be heard , I think that bigger and more get togethers with a self policing and common sense policy or a no race single run type deal ......... Need to show how many of us love this type of boating ... more now then ever

·
Just Me
4,104 Posts

The don't post it and stick to the "Safe Group" mentality has been mentioned before. There is one big problem to this thought. While the experienced safe drivers will be able to have fun safely, all the new and inexperienced drivers are left to fend for themselves and hopefully not kill themselves or the sport by their uneducated actions. Having large groups with experienced drivers gives valuable knowledge to rookie drivers. Sure have a couple private outings, but why not sanction the on the beach activities and not the one the water activities. Have a show and shine, a boat tech inspection (non-mandatory), have a seminar type class or two like: driving techniques, hot boat safety, and even boat rigging. Sharing the knowledge and experiences of the skilled safe drivers will do more to promote the sport than secretly meeting while the rookies are out making rookie mistakes in full view of the regulating lawmaking public. If you do this, the liability ends at the shore line for the sanctioning group. If boaters then decide to go out and play on the water on their own, that is exactly what it is "on their own". If they employ the wisdom they just garnered, then it is a win win for everyone. Heck if you want to go all out, throw in a hot boating safety course with classroom and on the water training and give out certificates. This might just help persuade the insurance industry to take a second look at insuring our toys.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts

Exactly K-flat...And Fiat and 058 have the same thoughts as I do...You can say we need to do this we and need to do that but the bottom line here is you can do everything right but put a brain in the drivers head. And if the guy(s) operating the boat don't use there head it's all for not. COMMON SENSE is the key and some people just don't have it!!!:)devil

·
Distinguished Member
5,842 Posts

Unfortunately, it seems this is what it has come to....

The don't post it and stick to the "Safe Group" mentality has been mentioned before. There is one big problem to this thought. While the experienced safe drivers will be able to have fun safely, all the new and inexperienced drivers are left to fend for themselves and hopefully not kill themselves or the sport by their uneducated actions. Having large groups with experienced drivers gives valuable knowledge to rookie drivers. Sure have a couple private outings, but why not sanction the on the beach activities and not the one the water activities. Have a show and shine, a boat tech inspection (non-mandatory), have a seminar type class or two like: driving techniques, hot boat safety, and even boat rigging. Sharing the knowledge and experiences of the skilled safe drivers will do more to promote the sport than secretly meeting while the rookies are out making rookie mistakes in full view of the regulating lawmaking public. If you do this, the liability ends at the shore line for the sanctioning group. If boaters then decide to go out and play on the water on their own, that is exactly what it is "on their own". If they employ the wisdom they just garnered, then it is a win win for everyone. Heck if you want to go all out, throw in a hot boating safety course with classroom and on the water training and give out certificates. This might just help persuade the insurance industry to take a second look at insuring our toys.
The thing about advise is it's seldom listened to unless it's asked for. If a new guy is reasonable and asks, there's lots of experienced guys that will go out of their way to help out. My first time back in a flat after being away almost 15 years, Tony and Joey both took time out of their days to come help me out at a test session (which included a thourough going over my boat). Since then, I've seen both of them do that for a bunch of guys... And they aren't the only ones willing to help.
However, I've seen the opposite way to many times. A new guy shows up at the lake or the track and isn't gonna listen to anybody...We've all seen guys at races giving tech guys crap about enforcing rules outlined. Several have stated the safest way to learn to run a fast boat is to go to the races... preferably as a participant. I agree with this point.
In retrospect, maybe the tragedy at CFW could have been prevented if the driver made some different choices. However, by all accounts he WAS a very expereinced hot boater and knew what he was doing. While I'm concerned about the safety of all participants in our sport, who am I to tell him to wear a different vest or helmet.
Jim Tucker was killed in a similar accident at a race in St. Louis the same weekend. He had a top quality hydro, competeing in a sanctioned event, with all the safety gear mandated and had no mechanical failures. My point is we all must recognize the risk in what we do and be willing to accept responsiblity for our choices.
I hope the recent incident at CFW doesn't impact future usage and that drivers think twice about their choices in safety equipment. If anyone wants help with their boat, just ask. Otherwise, a lot of us aren't going to tell another adult what they should, or shouldn't do....

·
Registered
234 Posts
Exactly K-flat...And Fiat and 058 have the same thoughts as I do...You can say we need to do this we and need to do that but the bottom line here is you can do everything right but put a brain in the drivers head. And if the guy(s) operating the boat don't use there head it's all for not. COMMON SENSE is the key and some people just don't have it!!!:)devil
Billy ... I know you guys do your thing a few times a year & keep it on the down low .. Cool , But i hope this is not going to always be the case .... I hope that you to can agree that events that draw more of the performance type boaters to all get together at the same time is a good way to show just how many of us love this type of boating , You have had a large part in putting these kind of deals together .... with great success ....I hope you still plan on doing the same in the future .... Thanks

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
No one can regulate or modify human nature. Too many times I have personally seen people who were new to hotboating [rookies] drag their boat to a lake with out a clue of saftey or common sense, let alone know what saftey equipment is for. When approached about wearing a vest or checking the boat for safe steering or even a shaft collar you get the deer in the headlight look and usually followed with a comment like: "It won't happen to me" or "Its just a lake boat" The human nature part comes in because nobody wants to be thought as a "Newby"/Rookie or ignorant. I just recently met a fellow who just bought a flat and in the conversation he commented that the boat is scary to drive and it'll "Stand on it's tail when I nail the throttle" I asked him a few questions about the plate and it's 2 pedals. Come to find out he was using the "Up" pedal and had little idea what the "down" pedal was for. On top of that the plate was severly out of adjustment. I could clearly see why that boat was scary to drive. I offered him help to adjust his plate and invited him to my shop where he could see how my boat was set up and give him some help on how to safely run his boat....I never saw him again.

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
X2, X3, X4 Let's give all these threads a break.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I like the idea of some one with medical training, why not look into the cost of having an ambulance with one paramedic and one emt ? They have had the training, are licensed, got the gear in the rig, know where the hospitals are, have a radio in the rig to call for help (not on hold for 911 for 10 minutes). Any one running a boat or boats puts out some $$ to pay for it, have the rig there from sun up to sun down Sat and Sun. No runs after the Rig leaves. It may cost some bucks, but you have Trained people there, not some one who thinks he knows what he or she is doing.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I like the idea of some one with medical training...
I am and I know Tony is. But also how far is one willing to test the "Good Samaritan" laws. Not sure about Tony but if I'm at the lake I will have oxygen, stif-neck collars, big bandaid bag and the famous yellow blanket. I keep them in my pickup at all times.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am and I know Tony is. But also how far is one willing to test the "Good Samaritan" laws. Not sure about Tony but if I'm at the lake I will have oxygen, stif-neck collars, big bandaid bag and the famous yellow blanket. I keep them in my pickup at all times.

Good Samritan laws used to be if you did harm to the injured you where in deep poop, now it is if you don't do something you're in deep poop. Glad to hear that you have first aid stuff with you, I have a pretty well stocked first responders kit - cpr mask, yellow blanket, wide assortment of band aides, gauze, 4x4's ect. I don't have a collar or oxygen, I am a certified first responder. The question is how many other people have any type of training, or any type of medical supplies? And if they have any training are they willing to use it?

·
Rollin With Fink
534 Posts
Originally Posted by Lost Wages
The best idea is to keep ALL publicity about Camp Far West OFF the internet. Bringing up self inflicted crashes from 7 years ago will accomplish nothing

Exactly...................:)devil

EXACTLY EXACTLY!!! let it go................................... Before it goes.

Then me and my friends and others wont be able to use it as we have, by keeping our lips shut and our activites to ourselves for 20+ years.

It will not change by regulating anything. All good idea's tho and those that have spent the time trying to make it better/safer my hat is off to you. But it wont work. Do all that with your own private program.

Staying under the radar may help to slow down the inevitable.

I'm done or I am just perpetuating the problem...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.