Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Break Out Another Thousnd
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start a thread here looking for ideas/suggestions as to what we can do (more) to protect each other in the cove. My first is that when you have someone from your group go to the end (of the cove) to race or make a hot pass, stand on the beach with a skier down flag. Do not lower the flag until the water that you can see (preferrably at the big end) is safe. The driver would still be responsible for reading his/her own water, but another set of eyes certainly would not hurt. Maybe this could become a common practice. Maybe the wake boarders & jetskis might see a bunch of us holding flags and start asking why. With any luck, when told why they might stop and watch the runs. Every time a wake board/jetski/party boat comes in making a wake - we all run to the beach with skier flags. Hopefully they would realize that they're the only boat moving in the cove and get the idea. It would not be perfect, but it could be a start. I realize there are a lot of maybe's & mights here but would anyone be willing to try this? These would be actions taken by individuals and should thus keep management out of it liability wise. I'm pretty sure it is not illegal to stand on a beach with a flag.

·
Antique Member
855 Posts
Safety

Smash, I think that we need to start gearing up collectively to defend continuing to run in the cove. IF and when there is a hearing on this, it would certainly help to have our ducks in order and do an odrerly presentation to what ever board reviews this, wether it be the Sheriff or the County Board of Superviors. Maybe Michelle can keep us appraised on this, so we can prepare. I am 300 miles away, but would be willing to work with any of you so that a logical presentation could be made when the time comes. As this is a public water way, and probably falls under Coast Guard, State and County rules, anything that we come up as far as operational guidelines would not be inforceable, only voluntary. The most that we could do is apply peer pressure, which is light, but better than no action at all. As you work for the FAA, you know that you cannot fly VFR until the night time beacon is turned off. Maybe a simple start would be a beacon, with a timer at the point. When it is flashing, night rules apply-running lights and 5mph speed limit. I believe that the State or Coast Gurard only requires life jackets on children under 12. Maybe the powers to be need to be petitioned to change this. I have served on a lot of different Boards and know wording this right is everything. There has to be an Attorney in this bunch that would help us out. You got this started, keep it going. If we don't all hang together on this, it may be the end. If we have a hearing ahead, we need to start some statistical reasearch now. Can't go to a gun fight with a billy club.
Denis

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I would like to start a thread here looking for ideas/suggestions as to what we can do (more) to protect each other in the cove. My first is that when you have someone from your group go to the end (of the cove) to race or make a hot pass, stand on the beach with a skier down flag. Do not lower the flag until the water that you can see (preferrably at the big end) is safe. The driver would still be responsible for reading his/her own water, but another set of eyes certainly would not hurt. Maybe this could become a common practice. Maybe the wake boarders & jetskis might see a bunch of us holding flags and start asking why. With any luck, when told why they might stop and watch the runs. Every time a wake board/jetski/party boat comes in making a wake - we all run to the beach with skier flags. Hopefully they would realize that they're the only boat moving in the cove and get the idea. It would not be perfect, but it could be a start. I realize there are a lot of maybe's & mights here but would anyone be willing to try this? These would be actions taken by individuals and should thus keep management out of it liability wise. I'm pretty sure it is not illegal to stand on a beach with a flag.
Keep these deals off the internet.....Run during the week....Word of mouth on the dates so you can keep the guys who answer to stupid off the water and off your invite list. I always get asked, "why didn't I know you guys were all going to be down at the river running your boats"." What i'm not good enough"?...Not it at all. We have just had to go to guys we know that can police themselves without any questions. No matter how safe you try and be there will always be accidents. Thats why there called accidents. But when you start putting regulations on a public waterway your asking for some big problems. I don't know if you could even pull a permit for a deal like this there that would restrict Jet skis, Wake boarders, and those annoying 50mph jet boats shooting water 50 feet in the air and running back and forth jacking up the water like we want to see them do it out of the cove :(:(:):)punch. And if you could pull one who would put there name on it????:)bulb

·
Registered
640 Posts
We have never hit a roller between 7 am and 10 am. Get up earlier and run your boat, I personally dont think you can blame the others who want to drive there boats in the cove or not.

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
Good idea, the "regulators" are listening to all suggestions. A question for the operators of CFW. Why is the cove shut down for the Boy Scouts, the Seaplanes, etc., but we can't close it for Father's Day week? The people coming in from North Shore for the most part come to watch and are respectful and slow coming and going. The lake lice that venture in have no clue and if we use a barge with signs, they will have to be multilingual. Good judgement, proper gear, no drinking, self policing will go a long way. Everyone, please read the "The Great Divide" thread, one of the best posts on this or any other forum.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I hate to say this but ..

I'm with all of you in wanting to have a great place to run our boats fast and safe. The problem is that the only real place to to that safely is on a race track with rescue boats on hand. We push our luck running any boat fast in the cove because it is a public open waterway with lots of obsticles which can cause problems to a speeding boat. I was very lucky NYE day in 2008 to have not drown or died just because I hit something or had a equipment failure, there were 2 boats close to me at the time. Luck was on my side that day.

Maybe we need to watch for and warn drivers who need more safety equipment. Also we can let them know when we think conditions are not safe for running fast.

I don't think we can stop traffic in the cove because it is a public lake. Hopefully we can still a opportunity to use the lake as we have but really work on safety for all if that is possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think having a barge at the entrance of the cove is a great idea , while it wont stop all the idiots, the main objective should focus on awareness,and not policing the area , the policing part has too many far reaching implications as well as liability issues.maybe by keeping this a suggestion to the ski and board boats we can diffuse the liability , Just a thought , maybe we can simply voluteer to do 30 min or an hour on the barge, ill certainly volunteer to do what i can, its a start , like the idea about the flags on shore as well , however none of it will work unless we do it together ............god bless frank and his family we need to do something here for ourselves ,our families and our fallen brother ...

·
Re-member
144 Posts
I cant figure out why people dont start all the way back in the begining of the cove. When you start from the middle as I watched everyone do you end up out in the rough water that is not protected from the cove. when i went to make my pass there was 2 or three spectator boats just sitting in the middle. I sat in the very end idleing waiting to see if they would get a clue and move to the side until finialy i just got ontop of the water then cruised up to them then nailed it and lost 1/8 of the track forcing me to be shutting down farther out in the rough water. has anyone ever taken a measurement of the cove from end to end ? it sure looks to me like alot of guys are running way past 1/4 mile. And they must know they are risking hitting rollers out at the end. hell I watched all day long as guys would just run even when they could see rollers in plain sight. Have i got it all wrong and is it not a problem to drive over these rollers at 100 mph like they are nothing and dont worry about it and just keep your foot into it and it will all be fine ? or is it that the people i see doing this have a set of balls as big as watermelons or would it be a case of a brain the size of a BB rolling around in a trash can?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
the less attention you guys draw to your activities the better off you're going to be.

at the end of the day you can blame whoever you want but the bottom line is you're illegally racing on a public waterway. period.

·
Speedy Member
6,720 Posts
the less attention you guys draw to your activities the better off you're going to be.

at the end of the day you can blame whoever you want but the bottom line is you're illegally racing on a public waterway. period.
Mike,

You are a thousand percent correct. No matter how you slice it, this is what it comes down to. Everybody has the same right to use the water. ANY OF IT! The bad ass raceboats dont have any more rights to the water as anyone else. When you are on a lake where it is closed off people seem to think it is private water, when in actuality it is the same as being on a river. You must still follow rules and obey laws. The poor judgement calls are what get people hurt. Its like street racing. You find a street that is seldom used and good for a dragrace and you wait till it's clear to run. With water you open up a plethora of obstacles and variables. For people to blame anyone but the guy driving is ridiculous. It is almost like handing a kid a loaded gun.
It is sad that it happened. But when you get these boats dripping with horsepower and a lot anxious people to get them out there, you can't help but expect situations like this to arise. There are no rules or laws regulating non high performance boats to actually do the unthinkable and drive their boats into a cove. All of the suggestions are great to remedy the problems but when it comes down to it you cant control what is gonna happen.
In another thread, Quickjet called out Schmiddle. That is what has to happen. You call them out publicly. Hold them accountable. Let the LEOs know that there are problem drinker/drivers on the lake. They will appreciate it and will peobably look the other way at you when you are running your boat. This post could go on forever but, the main point of is the water is for everyone and it is up to the hotboater to do his homework, be suited up properly, make sure his shit is safe, and be smart about how hard to run his boat and at what times.

(taking cover now)

Tony

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Mike,

You are a thousand percent correct. No matter how you slice it, this is what it comes down to. Everybody has the same right to use the water. ANY OF IT! The bad ass raceboats dont have any more rights to the water as anyone else. When you are on a lake where it is closed off people seem to think it is private water, when in actuality it is the same as being on a river. You must still follow rules and obey laws. The poor judgement calls are what get people hurt. Its like street racing. You find a street that is seldom used and good for a dragrace and you wait till it's clear to run. With water you open up a plethora of obstacles and variables. For people to blame anyone but the guy driving is ridiculous. It is almost like handing a kid a loaded gun.
It is sad that it happened. But when you get these boats dripping with horsepower and a lot anxious people to get them out there, you can't help but expect situations like this to arise. There are no rules or laws regulating non high performance boats to actually do the unthinkable and drive their boats into a cove. All of the suggestions are great to remedy the problems but when it comes down to it you cant control what is gonna happen.
In another thread, Quickjet called out Schmiddle. That is what has to happen. You call them out publicly. Hold them accountable. Let the LEOs know that there are problem drinker/drivers on the lake. They will appreciate it and will peobably look the other way at you when you are running your boat. This post could go on forever but, the main point of is the water is for everyone and it is up to the hotboater to do his homework, be suited up properly, make sure his shit is safe, and be smart about how hard to run his boat and at what times.

(taking cover now)

Tony
Kinda like you told the guy with the larger boat at Needles to slow down he was making wakes and you were trying to run laps with the camera strapped to your helmet:):)punch:)grn

·
Registered
221 Posts
We have never hit a roller between 7 am and 10 am. Get up earlier and run your boat, I personally dont think you can blame the others who want to drive there boats in the cove or not.
I agree with you dale the bottom line is the cove is open to the public they have as much rite boating there as we do. they just dont have the boat racing smarts we think we have. theres no reason to run more then 800 feet remember were just playing at the lake.safety gear is probably a huge part we all tend to forget or dont want to take the time to put it on. the driver chooses the water he runs on not the safety-rescue boat there not there your at the lake. so we all need to sharpen are skills look and out for each other. if stray boaters are in the cove wate to run theres always another day,morning,evening,weekend.

·
Speedy Member
6,720 Posts
Kinda like you told the guy with the larger boat at Needles to slow down he was making wakes and you were trying to run laps with the camera strapped to your helmet:):)punch:)grn
That's right.

They shut down and watched. But I was the one that had to negotiate the water with all the other boats. I didnt blame them for actually trying to drive their boats on the water. I look back at those days and I think how stupid I was. I was lucky I didnt get hurt or hurt somebody else.

Ill add something to this.

There are people you can watch and you know that one day they are gonna go swimming because if their negligence.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
For what is worth, I would like to add to this thread. I have had two major scares a CFW. One, I sunk my boat there. That water on NYD was frigging cold. If I had not had a jacket on, fully clothed, the outcome very well could have been different.

The second time was hitting a roller ot 90+ at the end of the cove. It scared the HOLY F**K out of me. I now have ALL the gear. I always wear the Lifeline. If I am going to make passes, all the gear is on. I want to see my daughter get her Doctorate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIP Frank

·
WET MEMBER
741 Posts
Lake Elsanoir

How do they keep the people from comming in the cove there while there is racing? it is a public lake ?? Im not trying to start anything but it is an event such as fathers day with out he safety crew. I race at Ming and it is a man made lake that is secioned off from the Kern river but I still saw people putting their [ski] boats in the out ramp and going out on the course on a friday when there was not supposta be anyone out there. Sanchaned events get privalages . Why cant we get the same privalages as much as any other boating event. CFW makes enough money off of us to help us out. Make it safe police our friends and make them have the correct equiptment. No K-mart or walmart vests allowed, only lifeline or you dont run in the cove. God knows there are so many people there we all look at every boat at one time or another. Kill swiths saftey collars I did not see on 80 percent of the boats there. Just my 2 cents on my credit card. OK now tear me up on what I say . It is going to happen. Go for it

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Ill add something to this.

There are people you can watch and you know that one day they are gonna go swimming because if their negligence.
So why do they allow to let the guy with the Sanger hydro back time and time again? He won't come back one day and it won't be of his choice if he doesn't see the lite very soon...

·
Speedy Member
6,720 Posts
So why do they allow to let the guy with the Sanger hydro back time and time again? He won't come back one day and it won't be of his choice if he doesn't see the lite very soon...

He has been banned.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.