Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my old dell after 8 years, the hard drive died on me:mad:. question what do i have to do to change it? or should i just buy a new tower. how hard is it to change out the hard drive?

·
Registered
264 Posts
How do you know it's the hard drive? What error are you getting? Does it start up at all? Do you have the old install disk for Windows XP and Office?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it will not even load to start up. i got a message saying it was working outside of the peramertives(sp) of the hard drive. tried to reload the software with my disk's that i got from dell which i have done before and kept getting reading errors, then it just quit all together and will not even read the disk's anymore. it also told me to change the hard drive

·
Registered
264 Posts
You can get hard drives pretty cheap these days. It's easy enough to switch out. Since you have the disks give it a try.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how do you make sure you get one that will match up with the old motherboard?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Go to the manufacture of the Hard Drive's web site and pull down there utility for the drive. It should let you create a bootable disk that will let you diagnose the problem.
While your there see if the drive is still under warranty.

·
deckboat owner
480 Posts
It is true that HDD are pretty cheap and easy to install. That is just your storage area though. If your system is 8 years old...it's time to move on. Even at $100 for a hard drive, I'd take that and put it towards a whole new tower. Maybe swap some of your other hardware like disc drives into a new "barebones" deal. Get some more / new RAM, mother board, better processor, video card etc. Take $350 to some site like Tiger.com and upgrade!

·
Registered
264 Posts
It is true that HDD are pretty cheap and easy to install. That is just your storage area though. If your system is 8 years old...it's time to move on. Even at $100 for a hard drive, I'd take that and put it towards a whole new tower. Maybe swap some of your other hardware like disc drives into a new "barebones" deal. Get some more / new RAM, mother board, better processor, video card etc. Take $350 to some site like Tiger.com and upgrade!
Oh ya if it's 8 years old it's time for an upgrade. I've had good success with www.egghead.com for parts. Even returns and tech support are pretty good.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh ya if it's 8 years old it's time for an upgrade. I've had good success with www.egghead.com for parts. Even returns and tech support are pretty good.
do i upgrade to a whole new system or do i buy new parts for this one?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Man 8 years is a long time and your not much into fixing computers so i would say it's time to invest some money on a new computer. There are great deals out there and every manufacture has their pro's and con's. I work with DELL alot and i know they have some good deals on pc's with flat screens.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
He's asking for help on how to replace the HDD and you guys are telling him to essentially build a new computer on his own:)sphss. Sure it's not difficult if you know what you're doing, but I have to assume he doesn't.

Slot, if you can afford it, I would get a new machine unless the existing one is adequate enough for you, otherwise replacing the hard drive is usually a matter of 2 screws and 2 harness plugs. Just make sure you unplug the power first;). When removing the old and installing the new, be sure keep one hand on the frame of the tower so as not to discharge an static electricity and possible fry other components.

You could go somewhere like best buy or and match up a new hard drive.

Did you backup your data before it crashed?

·
Registered
264 Posts
He's asking for help on how to replace the HDD and you guys are telling him to essentially build a new computer on his own:)sphss. Sure it's not difficult if you know what you're doing, but I have to assume he doesn't.

Slot, if you can afford it, I would get a new machine unless the existing one is adequate enough for you, otherwise replacing the hard drive is usually a matter of 2 screws and 2 harness plugs. Just make sure you unplug the power first;). When removing the old and installing the new, be sure keep one hand on the frame of the tower so as not to discharge an static electricity and possible fry other components.

You could go somewhere like best buy or and match up a new hard drive.

Did you backup your data before it crashed?
Then in a few months down the road you want more memory because of the programs your running requires it and you can't upgrade because your system is too old then you'll wish you upgraded. I think we already said pull the cover, the drive and go purchase a replacement since he has the install disks. But if he has the money for few hundred more he can upgrade and be good for the next 8 years. Take that information and make a decision.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
all my main information is on a external drive that i back everything up to, so i am safe there. it works for what i use it for, which is mainly playing on the boards. i am no computer whiz but ia m sure i could change out a drive, its just rebooting it and making sure it will interchange with my system. i am going to shop around and compare and see whats out there. right now moneys tight so really do not want to spend alot if i do not have to

·
MLC - Mid Life Crisis
1,132 Posts
8 year old system - UPGRADE TO A NEW SYSTEM! Systems are very cheap now. It will just be a matter of time before other things start to go bad.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
As others have said, changing the HD is easy. Fry's has 1T drives for $99; 300GB for a lot less. I have a computer about the same age - nothing else has broke, it works fine and I'm just now getting the imminent hard drive failure warning.

My new favorite computer is my 10" Asus laptop, weighing in at 3 pounds with a 6 hour battery, total plug and play for $250. It's almost the size of an old PDA!

·
Registered
373 Posts
As others have said, changing the HD is easy. Fry's has 1T drives for $99; 300GB for a lot less. I have a computer about the same age - nothing else has broke, it works fine and I'm just now getting the imminent hard drive failure warning.

My new favorite computer is my 10" Asus laptop, weighing in at 3 pounds with a 6 hour battery, total plug and play for $250. It's almost the size of an old PDA!

I almost picked one of those up back in December, Fry's had them on sale for about $250. I was thinking of using it as a Carputer & on the boat for running my ScannerPro software, How do you like it? pros, cons.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
slot changing a HD is pretty easy. Just be aware many of the older motherboards limit the size of the drive you can install. Just cause they make a 500 gb drive that will plug in doesn't mean it will work or that the system will see 500 gb.

Either get the same model drive (the easy and safe way) you have or go online and check to see what is compatible with the motherboard you have if you are trying to go bigger in drive capacity.

I have a lot of old boxes running and a few new late model ones. For average work and surfing the web you many times just don't need to spend a bunch on late model hardware. I just finished phasing out a couple years ago boxes that were 1996 vintage. Our current network consists of several boxes of early 2000's vintage and they work just dandy for office applications. For photoshop, web building, etc. obviously the old stuff is not adequate but I have a couple machines I do that stuff on and the rest are older. Keep it simple (and cheap) is my motto.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey guys i'm back:)hand $85.00 at best buys and reload my o.s. and its works. now just have to find all my websites.:mad:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
[/B]

I almost picked one of those up back in December, Fry's had them on sale for about $250. I was thinking of using it as a Carputer & on the boat for running my ScannerPro software, How do you like it? pros, cons.
The only con is no DVD due to its size. Other than that, like I said, it's the best $250 I ever spent on any computer product. I have a broadband USB stick with 8gb Micro mem built in, so it's a real compact package.
Also takes a Linux live jump drive without any issues, it really is turnkey.

These computers are the rage at courthouses - showing up all over instead of the bulky 13"-15" jobbers. I take mine everywhere.

I saw a 9" Asus (that uses jump drive memory only, no HD like on the 10" w/160GB) for $178 shipped. I know they're going smaller, and 9" is pushing it, I imagine anything smaller might get annoying. Still, $178 shipped for a full-blown laptop? Wow

1 - 20 of 32 Posts