Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
City Council to hear major zone changes tonite, to accomadate developers wanting to transform the channel into condo canyon! Zone changes will increase the density and change the current height ordinance to 90 feet.
Recently the City has been promoting more water saving ordinances due to fears of lack of water. Now does this make any sense, short on water so let's approve more high density const. It's your channel and your water, tell us what you think. If your really serious go to the council meeting and tell them!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
City Council to hear major zone changes tonite, to accomadate developers wanting to transform the channel into condo canyon! Zone changes will increase the density and change the current height ordinance to 90 feet.
Recently the City has been promoting more water saving ordinances due to fears of lack of water. Now does this make any sense, short on water so let's approve more high density const. It's your channel and your water, tell us what you think. If your really serious go to the council meeting and tell them!
Listen carefully to what the wonderful (in his own mind) Mr Bruce Hinman (P & Z comm) wants carefully, it will be all condos from what I understand sooner or later.
I tried and attended some of the council meetings a while back, no thanks. They wouldnt listen or you couldnt even speak, and the drivel they did talk about was just that. Sad but true. NSF

·
LHC Architect
1,555 Posts
90' high will never pass in this city, if it some how does....I guarantee you the citizens will not only re-call the mayor, but might very well lynch him too.;)
35' from the street address is all thats going to happen

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
hey havi has the "mall", why not have Donald Trump build skyscrapers, and sell 5 million dollar condos, after all those million dollar homes are selling like hot cakes on the island !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! let the fing developers build the infrastructure first !!!, like the infamous 2nd brigde, then they get the condos !!! at thier expense, NOT THE CITIZENS OF HAVASU !!!, COMPRENDO CITY GUY, TELL TEHM THAT AT YOUR MEETING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
90' high will never pass in this city, if it some how does....I guarantee you the citizens will not only re-call the mayor, but might very well lynch him too.;)
35' from the street address is all thats going to happen
Let the lynching begin! It passed and when there are condos and hotels on both sides of the channel do you think that thier going to want our boats there any longer!!!!!!

·
HUNG Member
678 Posts
Let the lynching begin! It passed and when there are condos and hotels on both sides of the channel do you think that thier going to want our boats there any longer!!!!!!
If this is true, it will eventually kill the attraction that makes Havasu so special. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. :mad:

·
Registered
2,606 Posts

I really doubt it will effect the boating in the Channel. But if by a remote chance that it does there are plenty of other places to hang on the Lake. I don't really agree with the new height deal but any thing is better that the over grown plywood shed they call the English Village.

·
Registered
378 Posts
No Water

You are all out of luck I just saw on the news the river will be dry by 2021

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
This will further restrict the air ventilation into the channel which is already bad. Not good for boaters! I thought this was an issue last time this were proposed,
and what happened to the mayor, I thought he was pro-boating!! A city will always take the money!!:mad::|err

·
Registered
3,559 Posts

BINGO, give that man a a cigar. if you think a condo lined channel wont change the habits in the channel (by that I mean just being there) your crazy. They will be big money purchases and demands will be made to change everything as we know it.
The air quality thing is certainly going to be a factor also and that will mean more RESTRICTIONS. This city is hellbent on making the channel free of boaters, at least us FREELOADERS (we live here and pay taxes just like the rest of you BTW) that dont own a condo there. Remember the talk about a permit to go into the channel just a short time ago?JMHO, NSF:(

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Hate to be negative but the town has been so f'd up from a planning and zoning standpoint over the years that I'm not sure it makes a difference anymore. It's really a mixed bag of irreversible, goofy crap now.

It's really a shame too, Bob McCulloch left the town with a pretty good starting point. How one person’s vision could turn into such a bubble gum turd carnival is beyond comprehension. :)hammers

·
Other Side of River
1,235 Posts
2Driver; Bob McCulloch left the town with at a pretty good starting point. How one person’s vision could turn into such a bubble gum turd carnival is beyond c[COLOR=black said:
omprehension. :)hammers [/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

Have not heard his name mentioned in a long time.
He would appreciate your post.;)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
This will further restrict the air ventilation into the channel which is already bad. Not good for boaters! I thought this was an issue last time this were proposed,
and what happened to the mayor, I thought he was pro-boating!! A city will always take the money!!:mad::|err
Say good bye to the channel as we know it. I think sooner or later they will Ban all boats from parking in the channel and limit how many can go drive thru during peak times. It seems like they no longer want to cater to the boater. I thought the boater was the one who brought in the most revenues.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
Council takes step toward Riverwalk
Nexsen introduces raft of changes

By JOHN RUDOLF/Today’s News-Herald
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:45 PM MST

A plan to create a new zoning district along the Bridgewater Channel drew impassioned responses from the public, both in favor and against, at a city council meeting Tuesday night. In the end, however, the council voted unanimously in favor of an amended measure, which would allow for increased building heights and residential development in the area.

Mayor Mark Nexsen introduced a raft of changes to the proposed ordinance, lowering building heights in the proposed “Riverwalk District” from 90 feet to 60 feet, and setting a maximum of 336 condominiums for the area. Nexsen aimed his changes at those both in the public and on the council who feared that the district would create a ‘condominium row’ along the channel.

Nexsen said the new zoning district was critical to revitalizing an area that has fallen on hard times. “If we don’t make these ordinance changes, I believe the English Village will remain in its deplorable state for decades,” he said.

The mayor also pointed to the rising cost of land in the area as a reason that developers needed the option to build higher. When Robert McCulloch first bought the land for the English Village, Nexsen said, he paid only about $75 per acre.

Today, that land is on the market for $84 per square foot. The increased prices put pressure on developers go vertical to make a profit.

“If it doesn’t go up, it won’t be built,” Nexsen said.

Sentiment was closely divided at the crowded meeting.

Resident Bob Reynolds was one of many who spoke against the new district, expressing fears that it would turn the channel into an overdeveloped, crowded and generic area. “Do you really have the uniqueness of the channel in mind?” Reynolds said. “Make it happen the right way. Don’t vote for this.”

In the end, the council seemed satisfied that provisions governing the district would keep the character of the area intact, and offer substantial improvements. City Manager Richard Kaffenberger pointed out that architectural designs would have to pass review before approval. “One of the things we have in this ordinance is a design review component,” Kaffenberger said. “I think we will get architectural excellence.”

Familiar critics of the district, who have aired their differences in previous forums, were again on hand to oppose its adoption.

“I wish I could say that this district is exceptional,” said Planning and Zoning Commission Chairperson Laura Smith. “Unfortunately I cannot.”

Smith and other opponents stressed that a heavy residential component in the area would change the character of the channel, and went against public opinion, both expressed in voter surveys as well as in a general plan adopted by voters several years ago.

Yet the changes brought by Nexsen appear likely to forestall all but the most vehement critics of the plan. Several council members, such as Dennis Schilling and Allan Sturtevant, had expressed reservations about the district initially. But by the time the council came to vote, they had been assuaged.

“We aren’t going backward,” Nexsen said. “The past is gone and the future is here.”

The type of component requested is unsupported

·
Registered
572 Posts
So typical of Havasu City Council for the past decade. Quite a shame really.

I wish all of you could have seen this town 20 years ago. Friendly, quiet (except the big
weekends) loads of open space, no overcrowding, when you got to town you could park
in the empty lot next door and noone cared, very little crime etc etc etc.

Then came the "we need to build a mall and develop this sweet little town" people. Thanks
for coming, you've destroyed and are further destroying one of the coolest places I'd ever
been.

Pretty soon, the boaters will be out because the condo people won't want the noise and
we'll all be boating somewhere else. When that happens, this little town that grew will
become just another Bullhead City or Kingman. What a shame.

·
I got nothing
2,037 Posts
I'm sure I'll get flamed, but oh well...

<rant>

I think Bullhead is now larger than LHC...

What was the city supposed to do? The village, in its current state, is a COMPLETE dump. To change it takes investment dollars, dollars the city does not have so that means private developers. Developers don't develop an area for the helluva it, they develop it to make money.

You want a performing arts center there like the previous idiot Mayor Jackson wanted to do when he proposed the city buy the property?? Yeah, that's real smart, a performing arts center in a desert town devoid of what would be considered 'culture' to begin with. Tourist dollars are needed, and not just boating tourists.

Ground floor retail and upper floor residential is really the only compromise available. Perhaps I'm wrong. But instead of bitching and whining did any of you/us do anything to prevent what has happened to the village? When was the last time any of us shopped in the village? I can't remember the last time I went there and bought anything so the village was/is not for us. It's for the other tourists that don't have boats to come and buy stuff. Why the hell do you think they have/had tour buses there? Not so people could see all of the boaters it was to visit the shops.

Building heights are set to be limited at 60 feet, how does that relate to the Kings View Condos? I don't know. But that would be something recently developed to compare it to.

Also, this is a perfect situation where the Marine Association needs to work with all involved to ensure that boats are not gradually pushed out of the channel.

I don't have all of the answers, hell I've got none of them, I'm just a computer geek, but I do know that arm chair quarterbacking about what is done does not accomplish anything...Constructive criticism can go a long way...

</rant>

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
Good post. Unfortunately the good old days are gone, and you will see development in this town wether you like it or not. Before I condemn the city council, let's see where the planning leads.

·
Lavey Me Alone
1,417 Posts
Would it be too much to ask for a Condo w/a boat deep garage??? I'm all about compromise. :D

J/K!

RTJas :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts