Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was in Muskegon, Mi. today so I stopped by and checked out www.bullseyepower.com today.

Very impressive, I never saw so many turbos in one place before. They have the foundry and machining facilities right there too. Thousands of turbos on the shelf. From diesel turbos to small car replacement turbos to race car stuff.

In talking to the owner, Dave, a comparison of turbo sizes came up and I have changed my mind on what I want to be running.
Next on my list are a couple Borg Warner S475 turbos.
They are on the shelf there, polished compressors and all.

Some food for thought,
Gale Banks system Rajay turbos, 56 mm compressor inducer, T4 turbine housing flange

Garrett TV77 turbos I have been running, 65 mm compressor inducer, T6 flange.

Borg Warner S475 turbos, 75 mm compressor inducer, T6 flange.

So guess which one is going to have the most HP capacity and the least back pressure ?

My spool up time with bigger turbos is going to increase by 1/2 to 3/4 second or so and I can live with that. With the Garrett's my spool up time is 17#/sec. and lag is not even noticeable.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
I've been considering them also. Do you think thet will work on my 622cu. in. build?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I was in Muskegon, Mi. today so I stopped by and checked out www.bullseyepower.com today.

Very impressive, I never saw so many turbos in one place before. They have the foundry and machining facilities right there too. Thousands of turbos on the shelf. From diesel turbos to small car replacement turbos to race car stuff.

In talking to the owner, Dave, a comparison of turbo sizes came up and I have changed my mind on what I want to be running.
Next on my list are a couple Borg Warner S475 turbos.
They are on the shelf there, polished compressors and all.

Some food for thought,
Gale Banks system Rajay turbos, 56 mm compressor inducer, T4 turbine housing flange

Garrett TV77 turbos I have been running, 65 mm compressor inducer, T6 flange.

Borg Warner S475 turbos, 75 mm compressor inducer, T6 flange.

So guess which one is going to have the most HP capacity and the least back pressure ?

My spool up time with bigger turbos is going to increase by 1/2 to 3/4 second or so and I can live with that. With the Garrett's my spool up time is 17#/sec. and lag is not even noticeable.
we may go with the s475's as well mark, me and hass are trying to talk him into a smaller cube motor and just run 3-4lbs more boost to make up the difference in cubes:D are the s475's at that site you linked me to(paradise) all polished up as well, or is that extra, kinda a race cover upgrade thingy?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I've been considering them also. Do you think thet will work on my 622cu. in. build?
you might go with the s480's, 80mm compressor, 1.12 ar, t6. even the 80mm is gonna be pretty smaller for a 622, but it'll spool up super fast and be pretty good to 25lbs or maybe a lil better. we were looking at building a 598 and its was gonna take the s480's to make big hp on pump gas and HUGE:)devil hp on good gas.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
As you can see there's quite a variety of turbo sizes that will work in twins on a BBC. This throws out what I read about turbos from my first experience with them in sand drags in the early 80s that picking the size was such an exact science :rolleyes:. Now the import guys are putting two 75mm or larger turbos on 3000 cc Supra motor and making 1500 hp.

And I thought my 540" motor was a monster with the 65 mm compressors.
The trade off of going big is going to be the spool up time but the hp they are going to make per # of boost is going to increase too.
I talked to MikeW in Houston and he has a pair of Garrett GT4788s on his 540ci motor. That's 88 mm compressor wheels. He said spool up time is not a problem at all. EFI tuning seems to be the key to fast spool up time.

The S 475 BW's come out of the box with a plain compressor housing and v band clamp flange for around $600.00 and the custom polished compressor housing for a hose clamp flange gets them up to $ 750.00 ea.
That's a tremendous good price as compared to a Garrett.
They also have special ball bearing race units that can get pricey.
I most certainly will get the polished compressor housing. :)devil

With any of the S 400 series the turbine housing can be changed to fine tune the spool up time and the compressor wheel and housing can be changed too.

By the way, inch to mm multiplier is 25.4

Attachments

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
just ordering the basic s475's for billy's build up. he decided to go alil smaller on the cubes and make it up with boost , it'll be a twin turbo , c&s 4 bowl carb blow thru set-up, with twin air to water coolers.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Those are the same turbos I will be running on my 496 this next season, almost have the engine complete and ready to drop in the boat. Just cant beat the price on the turbos for what they are!

I also just purchased Tony Skagens 19 eliminator daytona last week to put the new monster in, cant wait!

Travis

Attachments

·
Banned
742 Posts
If you think they might be 'lazy' spooling up, why not run the next smaller A/R and "stage 2 more wastegates"? "pick up the bottom and let her breath on top".

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Mark,

Are you going to run the standard 1.32 turbine housing's? What size housings are on the garrett's you have in the boat now? I steped down a little on mine and went with the 1.10's, I think they should work just fine but if not I will spend a little more and change to the 1.0's.

Have you seen gordons 509 BBC that steve morris built for him? Twin s480's (80mm wheel's) with 1.32 housings. 2100 hp at 6700 on gas and steve thinks the turbos are a little to small for that 509!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn7iTcjUmTo

Travis

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I intended on just running the standard 1.32s to see how they do.
After a season If I find the spool up unacceptable I'll switch to the smaller turbine housings. The turbos I have now have 1.15 A/R turbine housings. They came with 1.0 and I changed them after a couple years. Didn't really make any difference though.

I saw that video and it was awesome. They have really done wonders with the blow through carb setups. The carbs get real pricey though. A carburetor cost more then a new ECU now. I was glad to see that they did away with the enclosed box setups.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
i bought a bullseye s480(1.32ar) last weekkkk, be here wed:)devil gonna put together a 383. mark, gonna need some help finding a good blow thru 750cfm carb for it, keep ya eyes open for me brother;) found some brodix track 1's for it this weekend, so maybe by feb i'll have this thing ready for a dyno, cause i will tune da biatch on a dyno if i'm gonna be layin 23-25lbs of boost to it:)bulb then when i bring it home, it will get torn down and inspected before goin in the boat.

mark, we're ordering billy's s475's this week, found some for 599.00 each , so i told him to snag some up quik before they get more popular:D not sure what ar we need for a 496 yet, but i'm leaning towards the 1.32's for him since he can hit it on nitrous if there's any lag down low.

tt540, who made the headers? we're looking for a mild steel set for a 496 in a jet, rear turbo mounts, know of any that may fit anywhere used?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I think he made his own re 540. Impatient1 did I hear you say something about just going with 1 turbo?
yes sir, bought just 1 big turbo since my hp goals would be easily met with just 1 bullseye s480 turbo(guys make 1150hp on 355sbc's with em without a intercooler at all, just c16). i'm gonna be using a quick fuel 750cfm blow thru(which will work on a 350-540cid, as per quick fuel) for 650 bucks offa ebay, 200 buck set of ebay sbc turbo swept back headers, then make the rest myself. also using 1 of the air to water 2000hp intercoolers offa ebay for 150bucks. should make 25psi pretty damn easy and from 3500-7000 be in the peak on the compressor map.adding another turbo would ad another 60lbs to the set-up and wouldn't do me any good on a sbc. we're also building a twin 496 with twin s475's, twin 2000hp coolers, and goin with the big c& s 4 bowl carb on it, think they said the 950 would take us to 2khp:D the 496 otta make 1200+on pump gas, 1800hp or more on full boost, race fuel. i'm shooting for 1000hp on my 383, should make 1100+, but i'll settle and be happy at 1000hp.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Sweet, looking fwd to both of those builds. Someday I gotta get turbo'd.lol I'll go over and check that place out, work is so slow I've got plenty of time on my hands lately.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts