Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a good (fresh) 454 that has been sitting for many years.... wow, like just shy of 30. Time flies when you're having fun.

It was in a hooligan street truck, PO had to go to prison for a bit and I bought it hearing it run and it was strong.

Never used it so I just started to disassemble, clean and inspect the rotating mass.

From what I've seen so far with the heads and pan off it's a basic 72-78 2 bolt main block. 3999289

Stock bore, flat tops with valve relief cutouts. No specs but it has a lumpy cam from hearing it run years ago.

Cylinder walls still have cross hatch. At this point I am assuming stock rods.

Gonna be topped with a 2x4 tunnel ram in a v-drive drag boat and raced with an occasional river/lake cruise.

Try to keep revs <6500 but you know how that goes. Just out to have fun, not rule the world.

I usually run non oxy pump gas in stuff like this, may mix some AV gas if needed.

Also have rev and timing control ignition for this project. Prolly use 10-40 earl.

Would like to make sure the clearance specs are within marine tolerance. if not, make them so.

After searching and reading way too many :)hammers threads on BBC bearing clearance for boats .....here's what I got.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Piston wall to skirt_______.007

Mains__________________.003

Rods___________________.025

Thanks for any input or comments. This is a great site.

·
Administrator
16,876 Posts
I would be OK with those numbers. I would look exactly where the piston manufacturer recommends measuring the piston. Add approx .0015 from their street car clearance if they do not recommend a clearance for marine use.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Does that .0015 apply to both cast and forged pistons?

·
Some guy
3,614 Posts
Thanks.

Does that .0015 apply to both cast and forged pistons?
Best to actually call the piston maker. If they are stockers at .007" you are probably pretty loose. I personally don't go .0015" on a mild NA engine, usually just .001" over. Different piston designs and materials require different clearances. Some of the newer pistons with shorter skirts are suggesting less extra clearance on marine engines.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best to actually call the piston maker. If they are stockers at .007" you are probably pretty loose. I personally don't go .0015" on a mild NA engine, usually just .001" over. Different piston designs and materials require different clearances. Some of the newer pistons with shorter skirts are suggesting less extra clearance on marine engines.
Got it.

Hope I can find out who and what the slugs are if I find some markings.

Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stock bore probably means stock, cast pistons. Are there two opposing valve reliefs?
Yup, reliefs at 1 and 7 o'clock. I kinda thought they might be stock.

Looked up in'er the best I could standing on my head and they looked like cast.

Did you measure the bore in several places to check taper and roundness?
Haven't measured anything yet as it's on a low wheeled cart with the tranny still on and heads and pan off.

Next up is to get it on an engine stand but it's -10 here on freakin MARCH 3 and I'm busy getting diesels started.

Fek this winter.:))ThumbsDwn

·
Registered
145 Posts
:D
Hi,

I have a good (fresh) 454 that has been sitting for many years.... wow, like just shy of 30. Time flies when you're having fun.

It was in a hooligan street truck, PO had to go to prison for a bit and I bought it hearing it run and it was strong.

Never used it so I just started to disassemble, clean and inspect the rotating mass.

From what I've seen so far with the heads and pan off it's a basic 72-78 2 bolt main block. 3999289

Stock bore, flat tops with valve relief cutouts. No specs but it has a lumpy cam from hearing it run years ago.

Cylinder walls still have cross hatch. At this point I am assuming stock rods.

Gonna be topped with a 2x4 tunnel ram in a v-drive drag boat and raced with an occasional river/lake cruise.

Try to keep revs <6500 but you know how that goes. Just out to have fun, not rule the world.

I usually run non oxy pump gas in stuff like this, may mix some AV gas if needed.

Also have rev and timing control ignition for this project. Prolly use 10-40 earl.

Would like to make sure the clearance specs are within marine tolerance. if not, make them so.

After searching and reading way too many :)hammers threads on BBC bearing clearance for boats .....here's what I got.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Piston wall to skirt_______.007

Mains__________________.003

Rods___________________.025

Thanks for any input or comments. This is a great site.
.025" seems just a hair loose :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts