552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a phone call.
Chet passed away yesterday.

Very sad :(

·
Islander Moho Trash
2,119 Posts
Chet beat a lot of challenges and was a true innovator in the racing world. Guys like him don't come around very often. He'll be missed.
RIP

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Sad deal. RIP Chet.

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Godspeed Chet

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
I e-mailed Doug this evening to offer condolences and received a response shortly thereafter. He truly has had a very tough past year and this was a considerable blow. Since parking his top fueler, he and his dad, Chet, had planned to go break a land speed record together. Another broken dream for a guy who suffered more last year than I could imagine. Chet was a wonderful man, great father, excellent businessman, innovator and all-around good person. He will be sorely missed.

·
Manufacturer
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found this on Yahoo Sports.

Drag racing pioneer Chet Herbert dies at 81 Apr 23, 10:22 pm EDT

ORANGE, Calif. (AP)—Chester “Chet” Herbert, a member of the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame who helped develop an exhaust header that blew smoke away from a dragster’s rear tires to improve traction, died Thursday. He was 81.
Herbert died of pneumonia at St. Joseph Hospital in Orange, according to Sara Fensterer, a spokeswoman for Herbert’s son, Doug, who followed his father into professional drag racing. The elder Herbert lived in nearby Villa Park.
Herbert was stricken with polio at age 20 and lived the rest of his life in a wheelchair, paralyzed from the chest down.
“My grandmother told me he was so wild about racing, that if he didn’t have polio to slow him down, he probably would have died,” Doug Herbert said in a statement. “When my dad was 12, my grandma bought him a trumpet and hoped he’d learn to play. But he traded the trumpet for a Cushman motorscooter and it was life in the fast lane ever since.”
Lying in a hospital iron-lung for six months in 1948, Herbert developed ideas for manufacturing racing parts in his head.
Among his engineering and design innovations were the first roller camshafts for race cars. He was among the first to try nitromethene fuel in a dragster after reading how the German army had used it to power torpedoes during World War II.
Herbert helped develop the Zoomie-type exhaust header that blew smoke away from a dragster’s rear tires to improve traction, helping dragsters surpass 200 mph.
Growing up in Southern California’s 1950s hot rod scene, Herbert turned a Harley-Davidson motorcycle into the fastest quarter-mile dragster of its time. Nicknamed “The Beast,” the motorcycle clocked 121 mph at one of the first drag races in Santa Ana.
Herbert’s rivals complained that motorcycles held an unfair advantage and should be disqualified from Top Eliminator competition.
Eventually, Herbert turned to building innovative cars that often tested the rules of the National Hot Rod Association, the sport’s governing body. He developed scores of dragsters, drag motorcycles and land speed-record streamliners for other drivers.
Herbert was one of the first to establish a successful speed shop and parts mail-order business and was one of the first racing parts retailers to advertise in national magazines.
“Despite the fact that he had polio and was in a wheelchair for much of his life, he never let that stop him from doing anything,” Doug Herbert said. “I’m glad I had the opportunity to follow in his footsteps and be involved in a sport that he helped to invent.”
Herbert is also survived by wife Leanne; daughters Heather Herbert-Binetti and Tracey Drage; and sister Doris, who as editor of Drag News was inducted into the sport’s hall of fame along with her brother in 1993. Herbert’s grandsons, Jon and James, were killed in a car accident last year.
At the time of his death, Herbert and his only son were in the process of building a Bonneville streamliner with which they hoped to achieve 500 mph and break the world speed record for piston-powered, wheel-driven cars.

·
Manufacturer
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A memorial service will be held at 10:30 a.m., Saturday at Covenant Presbyterian Church, 1855 Orange Olive Road, Orange, CA 92865. A private, graveside family service will be held that afternoon at 2 p.m. at the Fair Haven Memorial Park in Santa Ana, Calif.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to Doug Herbert's Be Responsible and Keep Everyone Safe (BRAKES) program that promotes safe driving among teenagers. Send donations to BRAKES, 1443 E. Gaston St., Lincolnton, NC 28092 or go online at www.putonthebrakes.com.

Attachments

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
RIP Chet. Did some work with him a couple years back. Great guy.:(

·
The Grand Wizard
2,912 Posts
Very sad, I remember him helping my Dad with some oddball cam many years ago, my Dad went to him for cams ever since.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Wow that sucks! He was quite an individual, helped me out with my project and was always willing to answer my questions. Last time I spoke he was designing a new straight line car for a world speed record. He will be missed, RIP.

~Brian

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Chet "reground" my first Hot rod cam for 35 bucks in 1968 ;) Chet lives on ! Got this one for my new motor today !

Get Real , very nice tribute !
RIP! Chet Herbert 4/2009

1 - 16 of 16 Posts