Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chevy Big Block (short block) 454 7.4 Gen VI (roller, 96+) 4 bolt main $1000 obo

Casting # 10237297 - 96 and up 454, 4 bolt main vortec 7400 L-29 - $1000 or best offer!

Long story short, I just bought an old Donzi boat "as is" with a non-running engine. My plan was to rebuild it, but with the weather being 20 degrees warmer than usual I decided to buy my friends turn-key engine and save the rebuild for someone who actually knows what they're doing so I can get in the water.

I got as far as taking the heads off and sending them to a locally well-known machine shop (Simon @ Tysons Automotive here in Northern VA) where they were taken apart and hot - tanked AND magna-fluxed, no cracks or damage - the valve guide was removed for the culprit stuck valve.

I'M PARTING OUT HEADS - this sale is now for the short block only, includes large oil pan and whatever valvetrain parts you want (roller lifters, whatever lol) - since the heads are ready for rebuild and are set already I think I should just sell those in a different listing. Lowered the price $400 as a result (good deal since I'll only get $200-250 for the heads anyways!

It looks like the previous owner (ahem, idiot) let the thing sit for a long time, and condensation / water caused slight rust in the heads and valve guide area. When he started it he probably hammered the throttle and as a result, the right rear exhaust valve stuck. There's is a SLIGHT superficial mark in the piston where the valve barely hit the piston - this is why I decided to proceed and send the heads off for rebuild till I realized how long it would take and I picked them up after he only had a chance to hot tank them. The valve, pushrod and guide are trashed (not included) but everything else was fine.

107.95 mm bore, 101.6 mm stroke

The pistons are .020 over which I suppose would make this a 458 technically.

My new engine will have ~150hp more than this, which is the primary reason I abandoned the rebuild. The shop doing the work doesn't want the engine, and thus I'm left with a 6th generation big block Chevy which has incredible potential for someone who knows how to rebuild these things.

NOTE: Pending notice from the shop doing the rebuild, I believe I'll be including the stock waterpump with this engine - it just depends if I'm able to adapt the belt system from the old engine to my new one with the external pump style.

I don't have too many other pictures since the boat is now 2 hours away from me, but it should be removed shortly and I'll ask my friends down there to shoot me some more images.

These late model 4 bolt main 454s are crazy strong and I wanted to keep this thing around and rebuild it for a jet boat project, but I need the $$ for mods to the DONZI so here she is.

Thanks! Email me if you have any other questions. [email protected] - I'll be checking the thread too :)grn

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Removed the heads from the listing and lowered price $400, I'll post the heads in a new listing since they were cleaned and magna-fluxed already so they're ready to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump - still haven't got around to listing the heads yet, so if anyone is interested in the package deal with the magna fluxed / cleaned up heads let me know and make me an offer. :stir:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sooooooooo against my better judgement I'll take like 40% off my initial asking price and say anyone who can come and pick this thing up near (Lake Anna) can have the heads and all the parts for $1100 :shock:

pm / email items @ athomas photo .com

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chevy Big Block (short block) 454 7.4 Gen VI (roller, 96+) 4 bolt main $1000 obo

Casting # 10237297 - 96 and up 454, 4 bolt main vortec 7400 L-29 - $1000 or best offer!

Long story short, I just bought an old Donzi boat "as is" with a non-running engine. My plan was to rebuild it, but with the weather being 20 degrees warmer than usual I decided to buy my friends turn-key engine and save the rebuild for someone who actually knows what they're doing so I can get in the water.

I got as far as taking the heads off and sending them to a locally well-known machine shop (Simon @ Tysons Automotive here in Northern VA) where they were taken apart and hot - tanked AND magna-fluxed, no cracks or damage - the valve guide was removed for the culprit stuck valve.

I'M PARTING OUT HEADS - this sale is now for the short block only, includes large oil pan and whatever valvetrain parts you want (roller lifters, whatever lol) - since the heads are ready for rebuild and are set already I think I should just sell those in a different listing. Lowered the price $400 as a result (good deal since I'll only get $200-250 for the heads anyways!

It looks like the previous owner (ahem, idiot) let the thing sit for a long time, and condensation / water caused slight rust in the heads and valve guide area. When he started it he probably hammered the throttle and as a result, the right rear exhaust valve stuck. There's is a SLIGHT superficial mark in the piston where the valve barely hit the piston - this is why I decided to proceed and send the heads off for rebuild till I realized how long it would take and I picked them up after he only had a chance to hot tank them. The valve, pushrod and guide are trashed (not included) but everything else was fine.

107.95 mm bore, 101.6 mm stroke

The pistons are .020 over which I suppose would make this a 458 technically.

My new engine will have ~150hp more than this, which is the primary reason I abandoned the rebuild. The shop doing the work doesn't want the engine, and thus I'm left with a 6th generation big block Chevy which has incredible potential for someone who knows how to rebuild these things.

NOTE: Pending notice from the shop doing the rebuild, I believe I'll be including the stock waterpump with this engine - it just depends if I'm able to adapt the belt system from the old engine to my new one with the external pump style.

I don't have too many other pictures since the boat is now 2 hours away from me, but it should be removed shortly and I'll ask my friends down there to shoot me some more images.

These late model 4 bolt main 454s are crazy strong and I wanted to keep this thing around and rebuild it for a jet boat project, but I need the $$ for mods to the DONZI so here she is.

Thanks! Email me if you have any other questions. [email protected] - I'll be checking the thread too :)grn
Hi, Is thy short block still available, if so how much, I have other questions if we move forward.

Alan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts