Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to clean tanks that have been sitting for 6+ years that more than likely are varnished and have crud in them, Lacquer thinner, acetone, or some other product?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I can't wait to hear the reply on this.....I think I have some crap in my tanks and do not want to cut them out of the boat.....

:)bulb

·
Team CJ460
2,191 Posts
i used a shop vac to suck the old crap out then went to my local parts store and bought a product from bg to flush them out.had to do it three times til i felt it was safe to run and when done i have three feul filters i run 1 per tank and ond before the carb

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Tanks

There is no real magic in cleaning your fuel tanks. Because it's petroleium based you are going to have the problem for quite awhile. After cleaning the tanks the best you can make sure you install a good fuel filter on each tank and check it on a regular basis's. No matter how clean you try to get the tanks there's always going to be left over crap in the tank. If the chunks are to large you going to have to worry about the pickup's in the tanks , if you were to have one of the pickup's get clogged under power it could be real hard on the engine. Pulling tanks is an option.Once you have the tanks out you can clean them alot easier and in most case's they were glassed in so a little fiberglass would be used to reinstall. The last resort would be to have new tanks built by someone in your area.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the best way to clean tanks that have been sitting for 6+ years that more than likely are varnished and have crud in them, Lacquer thinner, acetone, or some other product?

Thanks in advance.
Thanks Greg- but besides the process of doing so, maybe I should have been a little more specific, what should I use (product) without removing the tanks to clean them out best I can. Both tanks have drain plugs if that helps.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nitro cleaner....

Try a little nitromethane for effect...nitromethane's main use is as an extremely powerful solvent. I have used it for cleaning various cruddy parts. Let it soak a bit....just a suggestion to try...:)hand

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
E-85 gasoline will clean them, if available in your area. let it sit for a few days. This is assumming you have aluminum tanks, if not dis regard, it will eat polyester resin tanks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice sleek-

E85 is available, not in the town I live in but about 50 miles away. I'll pick up several gallons When I go there next week.

Thanks for your input as well roto, however I would rather burn the nitro in my engine than use it for solvent! :)devil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts