Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I AM putting together a blown 496 just a river play boat, as i am putting to bottom end together i have encountered a problem and i need some advice. My rod clearances are between .024 & .027 and all of my books say that should be between .016 & .020..... New eagle rods that are resized and new eagle crank. Whats the opinion........
1. Do i leave it and let it run?
2. To i try and fix it and how?
3. Do i send the rods back and try another set?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
i am putting together a blown 496 just a river play boat, as i am putting to bottom end together i have encountered a problem and i need some advice. My rod clearances are between .024 & .027 and all of my books say that should be between .016 & .020..... New eagle rods that are resized and new eagle crank. Whats the opinion........

Thanks
run it!!!!And why do you think its in the rods?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I know I am throwing myself under the bus with the sticklers on these boards, but I run anything over .0025 and under .003. I just don't loose sleep over it.
x3:)devil

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
I generally target mains at .0035 and rods .0027

And I've found eagle cranks to be to the big and require HX bearings rods all over the place and small ends needing honed.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice it put me at ease i will now check all journals for bearing clearance instead of spot checking. I did have all of the rods resized before in installed them ...

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
This is what i did to try to squeeze down the clearance spread.

I mic'd all my journals, i then took the largest journal and set my dial bore gauge. Went through a measured all my rods and then starting mixing and matchings rods. I put all my tighter rods on my smaller journals, in the end i had 6 rods at .0023, 1 rod at .0022 and 1 rod at .0021.

·
i'm back!!
687 Posts
I AM putting together a blown 496 just a river play boat, as i am putting to bottom end together i have encountered a problem and i need some advice. My rod clearances are between .024 & .027 and all of my books say that should be between .016 & .020..... New eagle rods that are resized and new eagle crank. Whats the opinion........

Thanks
Are you talking SIDE CLEARANCE?? as you state .024" NOT .002"

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Geez, soooooooo many people come on here and can't properly write .0027 that you start assuming that what they meant. Before you could even begin to change it, you would have to be certain where the problem lies. And then try to getthem to an exchange. GOOD LUCK!
Run it!!!!!That is not so loose as to cause anymore trouble than a little extra oil being thrown around. And even then, only what the bearing clearences can flow.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
Yes I am talking clearance from rod to rod
Blown Gas/Steel Rods -- 0.024"- 0.027" side clearance per throw (not per rod) is acceptable. I might even run more than that, not less like your book states (which is probably not considering your blown application but targeted more of a typical non-blower rebuild).

LO

1 - 20 of 21 Posts