Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried pre-cooling their fuel with this CO2 fuel log device?

http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=3

This is another spin on the "cool can" idea where you supposedly get a denser charge by pre-cooling the fuel between the pump and the carbs. I was thinking of this system without the car-related parts, just the fuel log.

Do you know of dyno testing based on pre-cooled fuel?

·
Spiral out
1,545 Posts
Maybe if you needed every last HP available then it might be worth something.

I can't see any realworld need for it though in any other type of racing other than drag racing in a class where mph and e.t. is king.

The evaporation of the fuel by the carb already does a pretty good job of taking the heat out of the charge.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Maybe if you needed every last HP available then it might be worth something.

I can't see any realworld need for it though in any other type of racing other than drag racing in a class where mph and e.t. is king.

The evaporation of the fuel by the carb already does a pretty good job of taking the heat out of the charge.
i agree. my polished single plane will freeze up at times.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Atomization is the word you are looking for Shaun.

Gasoline (liquid) will not burn, no way, shape, or form.

Gasoline VAPORS burn very nicely in air and you want them to be as numerous and well mixed with the air, over a distance of as little as 6 inches in some manifolds, in a horifically short time.

Cool the fuel to near or below it's vapor pressure, and you will get nothing good.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Correct. You want the air as cool as possible not the fuel.

Cooling the fuel at the river or the lake is not a bad thing, so it wouldn't hurt.

The fuel in a fuel tank at the river on a 110* day sitting in the sun all day is very hot. Cooling it down to 80* or so would help performance with a higher air temp.

Sleeper CP :D

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Cooling the fuel at the river or the lake is not a bad thing, so it wouldn't hurt.

The fuel in a fuel tank at the river on a 110* day sitting in the sun all day is very hot. Cooling it down to 80* or so would help performance with a higher air temp.

Sleeper CP :D
i totally agree...if cooling fuel down was a bad idea, why did they do it in drag cars??...i picked up .01-.02 in my drag car by useing a cool can filled with dry ice & alcohol...i have seen racers use dry ice on there manif's around the carb...i think it has some merit to cool the fuel down! :)

FastRat

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i totally agree...if cooling fuel down was a bad idea, why did they do it in drag cars??...i picked up .01-.02 in my drag car by useing a cool can filled with dry ice & alcohol...i have seen racers use dry ice on there manif's around the carb...i think it has some merit to cool the fuel down! :)

FastRat
Thanks for that info!!! There is a certain SS/PS boat that regulary waxes everyones ass out there, and they use a cool can. Rather than monkey see, monkey do, I thought some real life results would be good. BTW, the guy that owns that boat is a former drag racer...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts