Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bass Lake Dream'n
3,116 Posts
Back in the 90's I was in the USCG. Spent a couple holiday weekends on duty there. Pulled a couple floaters out of Copper Canyon with the local police. Any body of water bordered by 2 or more states is considered federal waterways. Federal laws apply and are enforced by federal law enforcement.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Talked to them during Desert Strom at the Martini Bar and they said they would be back sometime during August. They do a free safety inspection
on your boat and give a cert. Those boys were buying me Duck Fart shots, damn I got wasted and had to sleep in my truck that nite.

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,812 Posts
Make sure you understand the difference between Coast Guard and the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

The Coast Guard Auxiliary are volunteers that have no Law Enforcement authority. They usually patrol in their own private boats and offer tows, courtesy safety inspections and teach Safety Classes. Their boats will be marked with small signs identifying them as a Coast Guard Auxiliary Safety Patrol.

The Coast Guard itself will be on officially marked Coast Guard Law Enforcement vessels. Officers will usually be armed and have full Federal Law Enforcement Powers.

The CG Auxiliary in Havasu are locals and patrol nearly every weekend.

The Coast Guard comes in from San Diego occasionally for holiday weekends or for special events.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in the coast guard, i was just thinking that would be the best billet if it existed haha. ive never seen any uscg boats at havasu but i heard that sta san diego sends out some 25's so i was just curious. I think if it was more well known how crowded havasu gets theyde have a permanant summer station their, at least in my dreams haha.

·
C Ya on da lake
6,831 Posts
saw the coast guard boat on havasu during the DSPR last April. Also watched them get very agressive with a few peeps during the shoot out, there was no need to run boats down and get pushy... a little over zellas imo...

·
C Ya on da lake
6,831 Posts
Make sure you understand the difference between Coast Guard and the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

The Coast Guard Auxiliary are volunteers that have no Law Enforcement authority. They usually patrol in their own private boats and offer tows, courtesy safety inspections and teach Safety Classes. Their boats will be marked with small signs identifying them as a Coast Guard Auxiliary Safety Patrol.

The Coast Guard itself will be on officially marked Coast Guard Law Enforcement vessels. Officers will usually be armed and have full Federal Law Enforcement Powers.

The CG Auxiliary in Havasu are locals and patrol nearly every weekend.

The Coast Guard comes in from San Diego occasionally for holiday weekends or for special events.
good info there...

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Watch out for the Havasu CG auxiliary, a friend of mine used to have an on water food boat and this one CG aug. boat with a bunch of really old guys used to come to his boat to buy hamburgers. Every time they came we would have to get ready for them because they would come in too hot and slam into the hamburger boat and think nothing of it. We used to laugh and say, "oh no here they come again" they were oblivious to ramming into the hamburger boat and always seemed relieved once they got tied up.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some station guys are gung ho about law enforcement and get a little carried away, but for the most part we are all fairly understanding. And if they drive at you like pissed off sailors it's just the way we are trained. What's more intimidating, a boat coming at you clutch ahead or a boat coming at you full speed? And the boats at havasu come from San Diego where they deal with immigrants and drug running so they don't **** around. And even I'm scared when I see the cg aux on the water haha

·
27 Victory 800efi
433 Posts
Yeah watch out for those Auxiliarists! Since they do not have LE authority, they like to throw their weight around in other areas. I saw a group of auxiliarists pull up to a dock in a 30' sport fishing boat with 2 outboards...the owner thought he was driving a 270' cutter. They were supposed to haul some of us out to get hoisted by a Jayhawk and this guy proceeds to tell us that when we enter the water, he's going to turn the boat toward us to get the stern away so we don't get sucked into the props. And when we board, make sure that his engines are off so that the "props aren't cavitating" when we swim up to the boat.

Every once in a while the Aux have seminars or something at school and we see them walking around...I've come to the conclusion that in order to be cg aux you have to be over 65yo and at least 50lbs overweight lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.