Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you guru's. Was the closest clearance you guys would run prior to coil bind? I've been told in the past you want a minimum of .050" and others say they won't go below .100". What's your take? I'm sure it depends on application so let use the Manley 48s and 47s valve springs as an example, installed at 2.100" and 2.000" respectively.

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
The closer the better.
Now, of course the benefit directly correlates with how aggressive of a set-up your working with. The more aggressive the cam/lift/engine speed, the more beneficial it is.

.050 is a good target if you really need all you can get. When getting this close you have to really measure each springs actual coil bind and set-up accordingly. A high end springs wire diameter will vary .005. depending on the number of coils this can greatly change the "advertised" coil bind height. That is why if pressing to the max, measuring each spring is important. Of course, this diameter tolerance will go up depending on the quality of the spring used. Lesser quality springs will have a huge difference between them so you really need to start being careful at this point.
Also when getting close you really need to be precise measuring and shimming installed height.

On a good performance deal I would try to stay at .100 max and .060 min.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Warp Speed!!! Curious on what everyones thoughts are!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts