Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our water pipe froze at the well last night. Anyone got any ideas on how to thaw it out before I put the insulation on it??

·
skiing Parker since 1960
645 Posts
Back your truck/car CLOSE to the frozen area an leave the engine running. Get a 55 gallon drum, plastic type, cut it to fit as a cover an insulate that.

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts
Our water pipe froze at the well last night. Anyone got any ideas on how to thaw it out before I put the insulation on it??
Can you get at it? If you can wrap it in heat trace and hook it to a GFI then let it thaw.
A ice fishing tent with a propane forced hot air heater will thaw it out quick as well. Just make sure the heater is positioned so it doesnt catch the tent on fire. Flexible canvass conduit is available and keeps the direct heat off the tent.

·
1,278 Posts
?

Before thawing be sure that the piping didn't rupture,other wise as it melts your going to have a flood. Is the frozen pipe Inside a wall or exsposed???

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
I used to soak a rag in gear oil, wrap it around the offending pipe, pour isopropyl alcohol over it, and set that mess on fire. The alcohol will ignite the gear oil, which will slow burn using the rag as a wick. Not for indoor use:D

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to soak a rag in gear oil, wrap it around the offending pipe, pour isopropyl alcohol over it, and set that mess on fire. The alcohol will ignite the gear oil, which will slow burn using the rag as a wick. Not for indoor use:D
That's what I'm talking about!:D:D

Actually, I pulled the plug on the check valve/anti-backflow and the diaphram was frozen shut. A little wiggle with a screwdriver and I was back in business! Thanks for the input guys.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts