Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,149 Posts
Can you guys explain "Color Sanding". What are you using? What is the process, I hear about multiple steps. I've never done this and it is all new to me.

Thanks Chris

The term "colorsanding" comes from sanding the final finish (as opposed to sanding the primer).

It's normally done with fine to very fine sandpaper (from 400-1200 grit) and done wet (with water) to keep debris from being recirculated and act as a lubricant, very similar to sharpening or honing a knifes edge.

The reasons for colorsanding are many, but mainly to bring back a faded finish or to eliminate "orange peel" in a painted surface.

I am more than a little sure someone else will pipe in, but I'm close :)devil

GT :)hand

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK I get the basics, thanks. Can you be more specific as to the process.

1 After sanding with, say, 1200 grit. What is used to bring the mirrored wet look back?

2 Is a polisher required/recommended? At what speeds?

3 What brands are recommended for Gel coats?

Thanks I am definitely learning here.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's what I'm working on, it is an 89 Carrera in great shape. Top sides have some oxidation I want to remove and get it back to show room condition. Bottom is in god shape but needs to be buffed out.

Trailer needs to be painted, I am trying to learn how to detrailer the boat so that this winter everything gets gone through and sanitary.

Attachments

· Registered
2,149 Posts
Here's what I'm working on, it is an 89 Carrera in great shape. Top sides have some oxidation I want to remove and get it back to show room condition. Bottom is in god shape but needs to be buffed out.

Trailer needs to be painted, I am trying to learn how to detrailer the boat so that this winter everything gets gone through and sanitary.
Be very careful on that one, that is not gelcoat on the deck and sides that is oxidized, thats clearcoat....(I have a 1991 Elite).

Use some 1200 grit in a very inconspicuos area (or real bad) and use some Finess it (I think 3M) with a polisher and use super light pressure and don't let the surface get hot.
It may not come back if the clear has started to break down....

Maybe get a hold of a detailer to see what they think.

Good luck.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Be very careful on that one, that is not gelcoat on the deck and sides that is oxidized, thats clearcoat....(I have a 1991 Elite).
Wait a minute, Carrera's are clear coated? Not Gel? I'm guessing just the top and sides where it has color? Good to know, I have a few spots on mine to buff a little.

Nice boat btw, now that I have one I'm seeing more and more of these Elites.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.