Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to really use my new "mini" bore cam on this "oil burning" 460 Ford today , saved a lot of time and tear down Owner says "yeah its running a little rough , lacks power and she's blowin some oil out"

the last pic is thru the Piston hole lookin at the con rod ;)

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Where can you get one of those and how much to they "run roughly" (pun intended :D )?

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
here's what mine was (stolen along with some other items)

It came in very useful for looking into walls before the sawzall came out of the box ;)
The nice thing was the flexible cable was only about 1/4" in diameter....probably the same as what yours is. Very handy tool to have around! Very cool that yours has the vid line to hook up to the computer!

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here's what mine was (stolen along with some other items)

It came in very useful for looking into walls before the sawzall came out of the box ;)
The nice thing was the flexible cable was only about 1/4" in diameter....probably the same as what yours is. Very handy tool to have around! Very cool that yours has the vid line to hook up to the computer!

Probably works for a "multitude" of both "professional" and non professional applications :D we use it for jet drive and cylinder "explorations" :D

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Jon and Cas this one has "Vid out" jack (no audio:D) will actually go live to Computer or Tele, About $300 from Oriellys etc (checck the net) Tom
No audio!? What a ripoff! :D

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
We use one from Snap-On tools with the screen hook up too. They are so handy. Last week, we went in through a pushrod hole and took a look at a cam lobe. Saves a lot of time. Looked in a Ford cylinder a while back and determined that a valve seat had come loose in the head before we ever pulled it down. Great tools.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
We use one from Snap-On tools with the screen hook up too. They are so handy. Last week, we went in through a pushrod hole and took a look at a cam lobe. Saves a lot of time. Looked in a Ford cylinder a while back and determined that a valve seat had come loose in the head before we ever pulled it down. Great tools.
Duane, wou mean to tell me that you haven't designed a better one yet? :D :)hand

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed in this case and with season "short",it save an generous amount of diag and tear down This motor is "done" the one shot looks all the way thru the piston "hole" to the top of the rod and into the crank case , (in the past) we have used them for combustion chamber inspections , oil pick up depth checks and cam inspections too .

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
Probably works for a "multitude" of both "professional" and non professional applications :D we use it for jet drive and cylinder "explorations" :D
Yea, just have a talk with the Dr I had to see a couple of months ago :)sphss :D

I also used it to check the clearance between the oil pan and front intake bolts when I installed the engine. Definitely a handy tool.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, just have a talk with the Dr I had to see a couple of months ago :)sphss :D

I also used it to check the clearance between the oil pan and front intake bolts when I installed the engine. Definitely a handy tool.

Steve next Dr visit let me know I'll ups it to you with some a$$embly lube its got a six foot stinger ;)

but seriously folks gonna try it today on a Berk jet the cust says sucked a trash bag , wonder what I might see behind the rear edge of the Impy

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Like I mentioned in a thread several weeks ago, these things can prove to be valuable time savers for many industries. The newest digital video versions no longer have the display connected to the camera cable but, instead, use a wireless link. This allows you far more versatility in placement/movement of camera while being able to place the display in a convenient location. One of those is currently on my "wish list",to augment the fiber optic version I have now. Just waiting for prices to drop a bit.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like I mentioned in a thread several weeks ago, these things can prove to be valuable time savers for many industries. The newest digital video versions no longer have the display connected to the camera cable but, instead, use a wireless link. This allows you far more versatility in placement/movement of camera while being able to place the display in a convenient location. One of those is currently on my "wish list",to augment the fiber optic version I have now. Just waiting for prices to drop a bit.
Oldsquirt, I'd be interested in the new stuff as well , the work mine does is "OK" but the views with the various little mirrors is marginal at best this one works well for example to view a piston top but to look at valve and combustion chambers is "confusing" and difficult Tom

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Tom, from the pics, I'm guessing you have the "VideoStik" from "Visual Optics". I have one of their early fiber optic units. Mine has a small flashlight as the light source and I have purchased another company's UV light which just happens to fit. Makes for a nice tool for a/c leak detection work(inside evaporator housings).

So far, the clearest images have come from our rather expensive fixed-tube fiber optic unit. Too bad it lacks any versatility. Was great for the old inline engines. Not so great for transverse V-6 engines.

I can't remember which tool guy brought the wireless borescope by the shop. Since most sell the VideoStik, perhaps it is a product of the same company(an American company with products made in America, BTW). I'll check with the guys I see next week.

I'm kind of hoping the shop will buy one of the video units. We have an increasing demand from the vehicle manufacturer for images of internal damage. Sure would be nice not to have to tear everything down for those shots.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts