Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about installing an ice machine at the havi place, anybody done this and if so what are do's and don'ts. just lookin for some info and also a machine if it all works out.
thanks

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
I have one and it works great. What I do is make the ice and then bag it and put it a coffin type freezer that I bought at Home Depot. This way you can store 2-3 trips worth of ice and not have to run the ice machine every trip and waste what you don't use. It also makes the ice more frozen then a wet ice.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have one and it works great. What I do is make the ice and then bag it and put it a coffin type freezer that I bought at Home Depot. This way you can store 2-3 trips worth of ice and not have to run the ice machine every trip and waste what you don't use. It also makes the ice more frozen then a wet ice.
That makes really good sense. I had one, and my water bill went up $ 200.00 a month with the ice machine on. People don't seem to realize that an Ice machine is not a freezer, and that the ice melts very fast.

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
It would only make sense if you could make your own beer and liquor too. Otherwise you're still going to the store anyway, and you'd may as well pick up some ice while you're there.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
That makes really good sense. I had one, and my water bill went up $ 200.00 a month with the ice machine on. People don't seem to realize that an Ice machine is not a freezer, and that the ice melts very fast.
Yep.. I used to run the ice machine all weekend and let what we didn't use melt away. Using the freezer has helped alot, and they are cheap to buy. Haven't seen a big differnce in the utility either. It will take some time for it to pay off, but not having to go to the store and loading the ice chests in the parking lot has soom value to me. Its so easy to load in the garage and not make any stops on the way to the launch ramp. :)hand

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How fast can they generate ice? can you turn on the machine friday night and have enough ice for sat. and also sunday morning?
What do you do about the drain?
It will already be like 300 degrees in the garage, will the machine make it that much worse?
Sorry for all the questions, I know it is easy to stop and get ice in the morning but thought it might be nice to have the machine at home.

·
Registered
953 Posts
How fast can they generate ice? can you turn on the machine friday night and have enough ice for sat. and also sunday morning?
What do you do about the drain?
It will already be like 300 degrees in the garage, will the machine make it that much worse?
Sorry for all the questions, I know it is easy to stop and get ice in the morning but thought it might be nice to have the machine at home.
Depending on the model, I would not recommend the garage...just too hot to try and make ice...buddy has his in the house and it worked great where temp was controlled. I went through two commercial ice makers in the garage..just worked overtime and could barely keep up.

The coffin freezer / ice machine is a good idea, but when I add up a 600 freezer plus 1000 ice machine that can buy a lot of bags of ice..

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
Depending on the model, I would not recommend the garage...just too hot to try and make ice...buddy has his in the house and it worked great where temp was controlled. I went through two commercial ice makers in the garage..just worked overtime and could barely keep up.

The coffin freezer / ice machine is a good idea, but when I add up a 600 freezer plus 1000 ice machine that can buy a lot of bags of ice..
I have had mine in my garage for 6 years and never had a problem. My freezer from Home Depot was only about $200 and you can get a used ice maker at a restaraunt auction for $ 5-600.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I have a 200 pond machine, and I have purchased repaired some in the past and sold a few on the boards. I would suggest keeping them outside in a well ventelated area in the shade.

Most have insulated bins, so the ice will stay for days, even at 100 degrees outside. In the Havasu summer, the ratings are about one half of specs, so a 100 pound unit will make 50 pounds every 24 hours. Specs are at 70 degree water, and 75 degree outside temp, NOT Havasu in summer. they need pleanty of air and expess plenty of HOT air, so outside in best. Also they can be noisy with generating cycles.

If they break, parts can be expensive too, depending if it is a timer, or a float, that is cheap. Compressors are expensive, and changing a coil of it blows a leak costs too. Most are well built, but i would stay away from Chinese new units, stick to american units or Hozaki. Remember the bin is storage only, so you might see a few on e bay, or at rest. supply auctions or resale locations. Expect to pay $500-750 for a nice unit that will last years. ALWAYS look for rust inside and have the unit demoed for at least 2 cycles before purchasing a unit. Even the pumps are expensive at about $200, so ALWAYS use a filter and clean in internally yearly. They work great and do not use much power. I can get perhaps 100 pounds for $1 electrical costs

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
I sold and installed and serviced Hoshizaki for decades.
If you can afford one of their units it's money well spent.

Roadrunner has Hoshizakis with no trouble for over 8 years,, that's a BFD.

The trick to the Hoshizaki is at least a 1/2" water inlet line, bigger if you can do it.
The incoming water is what harvests the previous batch by flowing across the back of the super ultra thin freeze plate. So plenty of it is the key.

And a clean well flowing drain on the storage bin is essential.

Hoshisaki are rated hard ice or chewable.
Their hard ice is so clear and tough it'll rip up the stainless blades in your blender. So hold that thought.
The machines are so good fishing boats make saltwater ice with them with no modifications at all.

You have to run a seperate neutral on some of their units.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
It would only make sense if you could make your own beer and liquor too. Otherwise you're still going to the store anyway, and you'd may as well pick up some ice while you're there.
I'm trying to use this kind of logic to many things, less to worry about, less to go wrong.:)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts