Performance Boats Forum banner

Comp Cams MaxJet

7K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  VDRIVERACING 
#1 ·
Comp Cams is making jets called MaxJet where the size is actually the size of the hole (i.e., part number MJ98 is a .098 size hole--none of the Holley secret code sh*t), and they are hex on the outside so you use a nut driver to install/remove (...and not possible gouge the flowing surface).

Seems like a good product... What say the experts???

#4 ·
Totaly different as far as numbers go, but ALLOT nicer jet!
As mentioned above you will have to establish a new baseline and familiarize yourself with them, but I think it is the way to go if you are a serious racer that actually tunes for the weather and expects the change to be right.
We have been using Max jets for as long as I can remember. We made a conversion chart for Holley to Max Jet years ago based on actual flow numbers, but I am sure I have it stashed in the "glory day's" archive and may be a little tough to locate (somewere in the attic!)!

#5 · (Edited)
Totaly different as far as numbers go, but ALLOT nicer jet!
As mentioned above you will have to establish a new baseline and familiarize yourself with them, but I think it is the way to go if you are a serious racer that actually tunes for the weather and expects the change to be right.

Right on!
I think MaxJet is approaching the size/part# issue in a straight forward way. I read some literature that stated Holley's flow rating varied by 1.5% (which could mean you're not even on the size your intended to be), whereas the Maxjet hole size varied by less than .05%.

Thanks for the feedback...

Ps. MaxJet actually supplies a chart like you referred to, BTW.

#8 ·
Holley makes jets that are called tight tolerance that are within .05% if you feel you need them. Each jet number comes in 3 sizes. A #95 will be followed by a letter indicating where in falls inside Holleys tolerance, hi, middle or low. They slightly overlap so a 95L flows almost the same as a 94H. Didn't know you were jetting your deal that nats ass but it's nice to know they are there for you guys that need them. :D
It's kinda like measuring with Plasti-gauge vs. a dial bore gauge. Just depends on what you want to do!!
If the Holley shit was spot on we would just use the carbs right out of the box!
As we have said in the past, for some close is good enough :p, but you have to remember, at some of our tracks 3hp is a tenth of a second in lap time, so you had better be "Nat's Ass" or you may get your's handed to you by the guy in the next garage stall!! :D

#6 ·
Comp Cams is making jets called MaxJet where the size is actually the size of the hole (i.e., part number MJ98 is a .098 size hole--none of the Holley secret code sh*t), and they are hex on the outside so you use a nut driver to install/remove (...and not possible gouge the flowing surface).
Bill, there is no "CODE SHIT" in Holley's jets. Each number represents approx. 2% change in flow. Since most weather stations give you the % in flow change you need to make, if you are useing Max Jets, you are now stuck with the task of figureing out the % change yourself. Do you know the % in flow change between a .098 hole and a .099? And you if can't change a jet without butchering it, leave it to someone who can.

#11 ·
Actually, you're quite incorrect. The Holley part numbers are indeed a code, and not directly related to bore size. I have yet to have someone demonstrate what, exactly, those numbers represent, but it isn't 2% flow. The graph below indicates variance in "volume" from part number to successivley higher part number. They vary from less than 1% to nearly 6%. Consider that the quality control--or lack thereof--multiplies that by a factor of another 1.7%.

Thanks for menting Holley sells a higher quality part, but one has to question Holley's reasoning for not making that a standard for quality; at the least, for the size jets that would be considered for racing.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.