Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
V-Drive 4 ever
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just currious if anyone else has had a problem with Comp Cams Pro Magnum roller rockers before . my engine has about 8-9 trips out on it so far with maybe 8-10 hrs on it total . motor has never hick-up'd or had any problems before ever . then yesterday at CFW after making a few adjustment tests on the hull . moving motor forward and adj. cav plates .. while checking out how it rode i noticed a slight mis in the engine and within 10 seconds later a pop pop and the motor lost power . i thought i might have had an ignition failure but the popping thru the carb led me to pull tha valve covers and find the rocker arm in this shape in the pic below ... motor is a chevy 454 solid roller cam with a big lift . after talking to an engine builder he seems to think the bearing in the rocker arm on the shaft wasnt getting oiled enough and siezed up . just currious if anyone has run into this before or what . i went with comp cams rockers cause i have heard nothing but good about them .. anyone have any input on this? this happen at around 5000rpm . was running it Hard last week pulling into the 7000rpm range and engine never once showed a sign of a failure bout to happen . this happen when i was babying the motor giving someone a ride . :( ... was no signs of damage to anything else in the motor . valve seems fine (havent pulled head) lash cap shows alil wear due to this happening and push rod is in perfect shape still.. so im wondering put a new rocker on fish the pieces out of oil pan and run it again or what??

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
i'd wanna take a look at that lifter too if it were me;) and take a new look thru the pushrod

·
Distinguished Member
5,775 Posts
Bummer man, that looks bad. I like Comp Cams stuff and never had any issues with any of it. I'd make sure everything in the valve train is right, especially cam timing. Many years ago, back when we degreed cams using bushings, I had a bushing come out of the timing gear. This let the cam timing slip until the exhaust valves hit the pistons, causing a few push rods to bend, drop into the engine and make a bit of a mess. If you're running a big cam, wouldn't take much for it to hit.
However you mentioned you thought the bearing seized. This seems a bit odd since it doesn't take much oil to lubricate the bearing (it doesn't spin really). I'd talk to Comp Cams, although their tech support isn't what it used to be.
Do let us know what you finally find out....

·
Registered
243 Posts
Comp has had some problems that they dont talk about, had one break same way on the dyno, get a hold of them and they will take the whole set back. If you look at your other Rockers they probably look fine no signs of heat. replace the roller lifter and the push rod even if they look goodon that cylinder.:mad:

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
youll get alot of peeps these days say comp stuff is not what it use to be,well wtf is;)

i to have had great luck with anything comp we have used there cams,rockers,pushrods,ect.just looks like bad luck to me call comp talk to them and look over what tom said lifter pushrods,so forth.good luck:D

·
V-Drive 4 ever
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
well the side that still has part of the sleeve still parcially wraped around the pin is the side that got hot and siezed the side thats Broken off and missing was caused from the other side siezing and stressed the broken side out making it break .. i do plan on pulling the intake and digging alil deeper i want to try and retrieve as much of the broken pieces as i can and use a hi power magnet on the pan to try and move the pieces in pan to the oil drain. the wear on the roller tip kinda looks like it has been stressed before and was riding on the edge of the wheel . but geometry wasnt off on the exhuast valve on same cyl and rest all looked fine . motor builder seems to think the bearing failed .. and said he has a motor in same shape in the back with about same amout of run time as mine .. will know more later this week once i get replacement parts and motor torn down alil deeper .. after i posted this more of you rang in . thanks for the advice guys .. i can not afford a motor failure cause of something stoopid like this . i lose a motor it prolly take me another year to afford to build one so thanks for advice guys :D.. im gonna call comp in the moringing and see what they say

·
Registered
243 Posts
Also a week after ours broke on the Dyno I had another engine builder stop by the shop to show me a rocker arm he had, broke it was Identical to ours and nothing else was wrong, thats when we called comp and they wanted the whole set returned no questions asked. And by the way they didnt have any Rocker Arms In Stock to Replace them:(:( other than there new Comp Gold Series. The rest were pulled untill they find out how many defects were out there.

·
Rollin With Fink
583 Posts
well the side that still has part of the sleeve still parcially wraped around the pin is the side that got hot and siezed the side thats Broken off and missing was caused from the other side siezing and stressed the broken side out making it break .. i do plan on pulling the intake and digging alil deeper i want to try and retrieve as much of the broken pieces as i can and use a hi power magnet on the pan to try and move the pieces in pan to the oil drain. the wear on the roller tip kinda looks like it has been stressed before and was riding on the edge of the wheel . but geometry wasnt off on the exhuast valve on same cyl and rest all looked fine . motor builder seems to think the bearing failed .. and said he has a motor in same shape in the back with about same amout of run time as mine .. will know more later this week once i get replacement parts and motor torn down alil deeper .. after i posted this more of you rang in . thanks for the advice guys .. i can not afford a motor failure cause of something stoopid like this . i lose a motor it prolly take me another year to afford to build one so thanks for advice guys :D.. im gonna call comp in the moringing and see what they say
Hey how old are those rockers? I see 8 or 9 hours is that total on new rockers as well. Just trying to get an idea how old they are physically and also run time. Thanks

·
V-Drive 4 ever
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
bought new last april and maybe 8-9 boat trips on them with maybe 8-10 hrs of run time so basically new rockers .. thanks BlownJet13 for the info .

·
Registered
550 Posts
I was made aware of there issue by my engine builder. He said so far the Hi-Tech line has been much better with no failures yet. The Pro Magnums have been breaking but like mentioned above Comp has been taking care of it (hush,hush)

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I was made aware of there issue by my engine builder. He said so far the Hi-Tech line has been much better with no failures yet. The Pro Magnums have been breaking but like mentioned above Comp has been taking care of it (hush,hush)
smokinlowrider will be here in a bit to tell ya why the pro mags are the shiat:D i'll keep runnin my crane golds, they've never let me down;) they's some big biatches, but them big biatches ain't gonna break either:p

·
Registered
243 Posts
I buy several thousand dollars worth of Comps products every month and the only reason I still do is because they took care of me when there was a problem.But Iwill not buy another Pro Magnum untill somebody admits to ,and tells me the problem is fixed, and why it happened in the first place. untill then I will be using the more expensive Crowers.

·
V-Drive 4 ever
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im glad i posted this . i feel more relaxed as to what happen .. juss currious BlownJet13 . you send the set of rockers back they give you a new set or a refund / credit what they do for you???? . i dont have a problem sending them back and i Will not use this style again . while i was at the shop today having the engine checked the builder looked at the rockers and was wondering if they normally have side to side movement and i dont mean slideing on the pin back and forth was more of a pivoting movement like there was slop in the pins on some of the others with no pressure on them .. i think i will order the gold series of rockers crane makes so i at least be on the lake this weekend .

·
Registered
243 Posts
smokinlowrider will be here in a bit to tell ya why the pro mags are the shiat:D i'll keep runnin my crane golds, they've never let me down;) they's some big biatches, but them big biatches ain't gonna break either:p

Been doing this along time and crane golds use to be all we used,
had one break once Rocker was laying inside valve cover bearing broke and couldnt find needle bearings up top so had to pull motor apart to retreave them only to find out there wasnt any in the rocker in the first place. Found 3 others the same way. the differnce is had to fight like hell with crane, and never used them since. that was in 1997 customer support is Important. Not saying there bad, just every body has problems its how you handle them that keeps your customers, Yours.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
I've had no problems with mine.

·
Registered
243 Posts
im glad i posted this . i feel more relaxed as to what happen .. juss currious BlownJet13 . you send the set of rockers back they give you a new set or a refund / credit what they do for you???? . i dont have a problem sending them back and i Will not use this style again . while i was at the shop today having the engine checked the builder looked at the rockers and was wondering if they normally have side to side movement and i dont mean slideing on the pin back and forth was more of a pivoting movement like there was slop in the pins on some of the others with no pressure on them .. i think i will order the gold series of rockers crane makes so i at least be on the lake this weekend .
Billdoe You wont get any cash But they probably will trade you up to there gold series I have used them they are a nice piece, They came out with that series to compete with Crane. Good luck

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Been doing this along time and crane golds use to be all we used,
had one break once Rocker was laying inside valve cover bearing broke and couldnt find needle bearings up top so had to pull motor apart to retreave them only to find out there wasnt any in the rocker in the first place. Found 3 others the same way. the differnce is had to fight like hell with crane, and never used them since. that was in 1997 customer support is Important. Not saying there bad, just every body has problems its how you handle them that keeps your customers, Yours.
sure, i agree with ya. i don't run the spring pressures most guys do either, so i'm fairly easy on em and have never had a failure in 14yrs of using the line on different motors. prob would be turned off of them myself if i got stuck with a set by crane , but so far so good. i do use alot of comp products and its really nice to hear them at least be stand up guys and take care of their customers.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I am by Know means tyring to bash or stick up for any body just stating, personal experience. they all in most part make very good products.
we appreciate peeps stating personal experience here man, that's the best way to judge a product and the customer service attached to it ;)

·
Rollin With Fink
583 Posts
I think we both use MMSS for our machine work. Some of my rockers also have this side movement you mentioned. Mine are much older and have been ran a good long time tho- without failure (for whatever thats worth) Which is not much IMO, as are they just now getting ready to come apart?. I aquired these on a motor I did not buy them per-say. I have always used the Crower Enduro's and have never had a problem in some fairly serious motors. I may just put those away and buy some Crowers for the new motor I am almost done with for my car. In some way I am glad this post came up, not for your trouble, but it makes good sense to shelf those I have for now.....................

1 - 20 of 30 Posts