Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got ahold of comp cams and asked them what cam they recamend for my jet boat. I am looking for a hydrolic roller. The one that they told me to use is #CL456-8, or grind #XM296HR. I am just wondering if any of you have used this cam, and know if it is a good one. (FYI. It is going in to a .030 over 454 with ovalport heads, cast crank, stock rods, and hat .250 domed srp pistions, and a 850 holly carb. The pump is race ready with a ss a/b impeller, dps inducer, loader, and stuffer. The pump has just been gone through and is fresh.) Any and all coments are apreciated.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
U might get ahold of cstraub here on the boards...he grinds cams & has done so for quite a few peeps...he might have a better cam & perhaps cheaper also :)...just my .02 cents

FastRat

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
If it is this one:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-11-456-8/

That is the exact Cam I have in my Miller 454.
I like it, I think you may have slightly more compression than me, My ratio is 9.4:1

I have Brodix 280cc Rect. port, with a TR and 2 660's.

My pump was having issues, so I can't tell you how exactly how it ran very long over 5K, but it showed signs of being able to pull hard well past that with a stainless A impeller.

Idles crisp at 1100 RPM, I had 36* total advance, w/ around 20* initial.

I am no racer, or Dyno expert, but I like how it runs.

You will need much shorter push rods, so don't order any until you have EVERYTHING else mocked up!!

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
i have put that cam in 496 build and it works really well.it also was in a 468 mild build and worked great also.best of luck.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I wanted to get an opinion from someone who used it befor I spent the money. As always, this site Rocks!!!

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I got ahold of comp cams and asked them what cam they recamend for my jet boat. I am looking for a hydrolic roller. The one that they told me to use is #CL456-8, or grind #XM296HR. I am just wondering if any of you have used this cam, and know if it is a good one. (FYI. It is going in to a .030 over 454 with ovalport heads, cast crank, stock rods, and hat .250 domed srp pistions, and a 850 holly carb. The pump is race ready with a ss a/b impeller, dps inducer, loader, and stuffer. The pump has just been gone through and is fresh.) Any and all coments are apreciated.
here's, use this:

http://www.compcams.com/Camquest/

takes the guess work outta it when buyin a comp cam;)

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
this is great example. One engine is a .030 454 and the other is a stroker 496CID but they both get the same Comp camshaft recomendation.

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
You mean you haven't been using camquest Chris?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Ron,
I guess I am going to have too. Hell if 1 cam fits all it will make my life easier and I can replace this dart board!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here is my build with that cam. I am very happy with it.

454 4 bolt Hi Perf block bored .060 over (4.31)
Hi Perf 990 rectangular port heads pocket ported and polished chambers 118 volume
stock rods and crank with ARP bolts (balanced and blue printed)
Keith Black Hyper pistons part#257 25.5cc domes (10.5 cr)
Comp Cams Xtreme Marine xm296hr grind hydraulic roller cam (566 lift 296/302 duration) 112 lobe seperation
Comp Cam roller lifters
Comp Cam one piece push rods
Comp Cams Ultra Pro roller rockers
Comp Cams Springs and retainers
Cloyes Double roller timing chain
Cloyes Timing cover with cam button
Melling high volume high pressure oil pump
14 quart Dooley oil pan
Edelbrock Victor jr 454r manifold
850 Double pumper holley

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here is my build with that cam. I am very happy with it.

454 4 bolt Hi Perf block bored .060 over (4.31)
Hi Perf 990 rectangular port heads pocket ported and polished chambers 118 volume
stock rods and crank with ARP bolts (balanced and blue printed)
Keith Black Hyper pistons part#257 25.5cc domes (10.5 cr)
Comp Cams Xtreme Marine xm296hr grind hydraulic roller cam (566 lift 296/302 duration) 112 lobe seperation
Comp Cam roller lifters
Comp Cam one piece push rods
Comp Cams Ultra Pro roller rockers
Comp Cams Springs and retainers
Cloyes Double roller timing chain
Cloyes Timing cover with cam button
Melling high volume high pressure oil pump
14 quart Dooley oil pan
Edelbrock Victor jr 454r manifold
850 Double pumper holley
What kind of headers are you running? have any videos so i can hear the cam? that would be great! thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes Bassett injected headers and t valve. No problems. Most t valves let water flow around 1500 rpm as designed from Bassett.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I did something for my water setup for my headers! I put a Moroso valve on the header water lines (before the Tee) and added an MSD RPM switch to activate the valve! I can set the RPM just about anywhere to turn on the valve and don't have to worry about reversion at low RPMs!

Now on the other hand water coming back up the pipes on TTs headers is something for you to look into! Starting I think where the issue is with some cams!

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
this is great example. One engine is a .030 454 and the other is a stroker 496CID but they both get the same Comp camshaft recomendation.
LOL...as long as it idles like a dragster, who cares. It's "basd ass". :indifferent0001:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
cams

I love that theory if it sounds nice they are sold, who gives a shit how it runs it can be a dog but as long as it sounds good. Man you have some cam gurus here trying to help you and you dont seam to want to give them a chance i have had some crappy deals with comp cams and will never use them again so good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I love that theory if it sounds nice they are sold, who gives a shit how it runs it can be a dog but as long as it sounds good. Man you have some cam gurus here trying to help you and you dont seam to want to give them a chance i have had some crappy deals with comp cams and will never use them again so good luck.
Look here man. why be like that? This isnt my first rodeo! Isn't just about the sound. this camshaft actually works well with my setup in running. the camshaft profile even gets better if i add a shot of n20! Im running a 12jr pump b impeller with a droop, tuning nozle etc . so why speak if you dont even know my setup smh :no:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
cams

Im not bashing you man its just you see these threads all the time were someone asks for some advice and they dont listen to the guys that do this all the time like chris and scott from what i hear these guys know there shit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts