Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am asking a seemingly EASY question (sorry about that) but i have always had this done at the dealer prior to storage and this year I want to do it myself. I need to drain the engine completely because it going into my warehouse which is not heated, the reason I had the dealers do it is because I wanted them responsible for Spring issues. OK with that said I have found drain valves on each side of the engines for the exhaust and opened them and in the front of the engine it looks to be for the block and I opened that, I got water out of all of them. OK thats all good! I have looked as good as I can and the only drain for the block is the one I already opened and drained, is this normal to only have one drain for the block? The engine is a Mercury 502 CI with that little Wieand supercharger Any confirmations are greatly appreciated!

Karl

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey guys I am asking a seemingly EASY question (sorry about that) but i have always had this done at the dealer prior to storage and this year I want to do it myself. I need to drain the engine completely because it going into my warehouse which is not heated, the reason I had the dealers do it is because I wanted them responsible for Spring issues. OK with that said I have found drain valves on each side of the engines for the exhaust and opened them and in the front of the engine it looks to be for the block and I opened that, I got water out of all of them. OK thats all good! I have looked as good as I can and the only drain for the block is the one I already opened and drained, is this normal to only have one drain for the block? The engine is a Mercury 502 CI with that little Wieand supercharger Any confirmations are greatly appreciated!

Karl
There should be one drain plug on each side of the block. Sometimes there is something attached to put water elsewhere, like a heater or shower.

·
Administrator
16,894 Posts
Drain everything and add antifreeze in case there is some residual. Good time to do an oil change and fog the cylinders also.

There's a pipe plug each side of the block toward the center just above the oil pan rail.

If possible you can mix 5 gal of antifreeze and water and run the engine and drive on a muff until antifreeze comes out the exhaust.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Look at all the coolant hoses for low spots where water can get trapped . I always pull a couple of the hoses off and fill them and the block with RV aintfresse

·
$BLOWNNYS
3 Posts

Karl
What is the setup, standard Mercruser exhaust with top exit? Oil / power steering cooler?
I dont have a 502, but a mark 4 454. Have to drain both exhaust manifolds , some of the older ones have a drain at the elbows as well as the at the bottom.
(2) Block plugs, If you have a standard automotive circulation pump at the front of the engine I remove the hose in not equipped with a petcock on the hose, otherwise the pump holds water and will crack. The 1/8" pipe plug on the bottom of the oil cooler. I also disconnect the main raw water pump hoses off the pump and drain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts