Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a link to ALL of the BW S400 series compressor maps. I'm having trouble finding one for the S488, which I think is the one I'd want.

You'd think they would have it right on their website... Am I just overlooking it's location?

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There were 2 S400 series maps on the linked page. Is one of them a S480? I didn't see anything that would indicate that.

Yes, S488 is the map I'm looking for, one for an S480 would be nice too.

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
There were 2 S400 series maps on the linked page. Is one of them a S480? I didn't see anything that would indicate that.

Yes, S488 is the map I'm looking for, one for an S480 would be nice too.
You need to look under gt47-80 or 88.

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Would it really be accurate to use a Garrett Map for a Borg Warner turbo?
I wouldnt call a map excact sience but definatly a very good guide line. Far to many variables in everything around the turbo. Exhaust, heads, cam, cubes, intercooler exc.........even intake and engine temps can play roles when you get to the nitty gritty. Your best bet is when you have decided on a certain turbo is call the manufacture. You are not limited to "of the shelf" they can do changes that suit you better and help tune it for your application.

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Originally Posted by ______
I am going with a S488 turbo on my 408 build. From my understanding the S488 is a damn good turbo and I am going with a 1.1 A/R. You can not beat the price @ 1350.00 shipped out the door.

Problem with that turbo is your just buying a PT88. Same compressor wheel....old 7 blade TV series. No extended tip, no new 6 blade design....

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
that doesn't look like the s480 map i have at home printed off:)sphss i've got a s480 sitting on the bench waiting for the build, have 2 s475's coming in tommorrow. big difference in the maps between the s475 and s480, amazing what 5mm difference in the compressor will do.

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
that doesn't look like the s480 map i have at home printed off:)sphss i've got a s480 sitting on the bench waiting for the build, have 2 s475's coming in tomorrow. big difference in the maps between the s475 and s480, amazing what 5mm difference in the compressor will do.

Too lazy to do the conversion, but that map is for the Britt's. Kg/s vs. lbs/min... WTF :|err :D

So, instead of pretending I know everything, let me run this by you guys and maybe you'll have a better recommendation.

I'm planning a 0.060 over 427 with stock 049 heads (which I'll probably take the time to clean up the ports casting flash, but wouldn't call them ported), thinking around 8:1 CR, aiming for peak power around 6000 rpm, hydraulic flat tappet cam w/appropriate valve springs. Just in theory, I'm thinking this would be about a 400hp N/A motor. I'm also thinking, in an intercooled blow-through application, I should be able to run 15psi safely with the possibility of more, but 15 safely and reliably. So, that puts the theoretical power around 800hp.

I want to run a single turbo, don't ask why, I just do. It's the way I have it in my head. Aluminum watercooled logs to a crossover pipe connecting in the middle behind the engine.

This will be a low budget build, I've been intrigued by some of the "Junk Yard" builds on the turbo forums.

So, which turbo would provide good response and be able to also provide an efficient 80-100 lbs/min at a 2ish pressure ratio?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
single 88mm otta cover that, look for a 1.32 a.r. so it spools up mid to upper rpms, instead of spoolling up to soon and coming outta the peak. the s480 bullseye turbo i bought will even handle that;)

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally Posted by ______
I am going with a S488 turbo on my 408 build. From my understanding the S488 is a damn good turbo and I am going with a 1.1 A/R. You can not beat the price @ 1350.00 shipped out the door.

Problem with that turbo is your just buying a PT88. Same compressor wheel....old 7 blade TV series. No extended tip, no new 6 blade design....
So is this an issue? Better off with something else?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts