Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We went on vacation and came back to a shutdown computer. Push the button to turn it on and get nothing. Won't power up at all. We went ahead and bit the bullet and bought a new computer given this one was 5 years old and slow by todays standards.

Now the problem is, how can I copy the files (pictures and documents) off the old hard drive and onto the new computer?

Years ago I did this by removing the DVD player and plugging in the old harddrive temporarily into the new computer but I'm not sure if that's still possible or if there is a better way.

Seems that there could be a market for some do hickey that would allow this without opening up the case on the new computer.

Could you guys please give me some ideas of what I can do?

Thanks a bunch...........john

2,056 Posts
Hi,
We went on vacation and came back to a shutdown computer. Push the button to turn it on and get nothing. Won't power up at all. We went ahead and bit the bullet and bought a new computer given this one was 5 years old and slow by todays standards.

Now the problem is, how can I copy the files (pictures and documents) off the old hard drive and onto the new computer?

Years ago I did this by removing the DVD player and plugging in the old harddrive temporarily into the new computer but I'm not sure if that's still possible or if there is a better way.

Seems that there could be a market for some do hickey that would allow this without opening up the case on the new computer.

Could you guys please give me some ideas of what I can do?

Thanks a bunch...........john

This will work still if you know what youre doing. You can run into trouble with master / slave settings but for the most part you should be okay since any primary hard drive on a newer computer will be SATA (different) it should leave the IDE wide open for your drive. You may need to buy the cable because the CD drive might be SATA too. Why dont you just burn your data on a dvd and move it that way? or better yet, but an external drive and keep it on there in case your main drive dies..

2,056 Posts
No need to buy anything if you pop the case open and you have an IDE cable ready to use (either open or take it from the cd drive).

Seriously though, back that data up on a dvd, or an external hard drive so that you don't have to bring it to me for data recovery when your only hard drive dies with all your data on it ;)

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. That cable dealio looks like just the ticket for me!

Monster, I wish I could burn it onto some DVDs, but the old computer wont turn on period so the only way I can think to save all the pics is to transfer them from the old harddrive.

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions............john

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
And just adding to the general topic, as others have said, it's always a good idea to keep a 2nd external hard drive around, or 3 or 4. They're really cheap, you can get a 1T for $125 or less.

I have about 2T spread out with 4 different drives - 3 of them back up. I'm a bit paranoid about equipment failure. :D

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay guys. After fighting off the crud I finally had a chance to dig into our old computer and see what HD I'm working with.

It's a Western Digital

WD Caviar
Serial ATA hard Drive

Given this, does the cable/enclosure seem like still the right setup to order??

Thanks again for the help..............john

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
No problem.... and just fyi, in case you run into it when you hook the drive up throught the usb. Sometimes the drive won't show up after it's recognized. You might have to go into "Disk Management" (Right click my computer, click on manage) and activate the new disk. Some times I have to do this, sometimes I don't. So if it doesn't work right away look for this. It's pretty straight forward, just right click on the drive with the yellow bang and activate it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
And just adding to the general topic, as others have said, it's always a good idea to keep a 2nd external hard drive around, or 3 or 4. They're really cheap, you can get a 1T for $125 or less.

I have about 2T spread out with 4 different drives - 3 of them back up. I'm a bit paranoid about equipment failure. :D
The simplest way is to subscribe to Carbonite. Only $50-$60 bucks for a year and they back up all your date, photos, etc on a daily basis in the backround. When my HD crashed I bought a new one, installed it, went to Carbonite web and reinstalled all my data with no problems.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, I picked up a setup for the old harddrive and plugged it in to my new computer through the USB port and it worked perfectly......but.....

I can see the names of folders and files (like pictures) but when i try to access them or copy them it says I dont have sufficently priviledges.

Any thoughts on my next step?

Thanks again for the help guys......john

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hmm.... check the security settings for the hard drive. Right click on the drive > Properties > Security and check the permissions.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, for some reason it won't let me take global ownership of the old harddrive, but, it will let me assume ownership of folders and copy them over that way so that's doable.

Thanks again guys for the help. I was able to save all the grandkids pictures so my wife is damn proud of me.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Right on, glad it worked out. :))THumbsUp

After you get everything all tranfered over you can wipe out your old hard drive and just use it for backup. I've been doing this for years, just transfer stuff on a hard drive, unplug it and put it somewhere safe.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
The simplest way is to subscribe to Carbonite. Only $50-$60 bucks for a year and they back up all your date, photos, etc on a daily basis in the backround. When my HD crashed I bought a new one, installed it, went to Carbonite web and reinstalled all my data with no problems.
Cool if it works for you, but I would never trust a web based backup or storage solution. You realize how much info they, or any of thier corrupt azz employees have access to? Ther ehave been tons of companies that went POOF, gone overnight. Where did all the data go?

Besides, I can sync all those drives in under 30 minutes, I do it twice per month, or on a selective basis if I just finished a big project. Those are just my business computer drives; I also keep additional copies of personal photos on the wifey's and kid computer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts