Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe there have been threads regarding this. Anyone have links to any? Or can you spell out specifically what you have done?

I have done :

1) Cleaning the drives. Disk Cleanup and CC Cleaner

2) Defrag.

3) Anti Virus

4) Adaware

Believe me. I added memory. That sped it up and a few months later I am bogged down again. It's running on Windows XP.

Help!!!

G

·
I believe there have been threads regarding this. Anyone have links to any? Or can you spell out specifically what you have done?

I have done :

1) Cleaning the drives. Disk Cleanup and CC Cleaner

2) Defrag.

3) Anti Virus

4) Adaware

Believe me. I added memory. That sped it up and a few months later I am bogged down again. It's running on Windows XP.

Help!!!
Rob,

Your hard drive may be on the verge of failure. I would suggest getting an external HD and create a ghost of your drive. This way if it fails, you can restore it with a new drive.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Pending Windows updates (downloaded but not installed) seem to slow donw my computers.

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.

Registry errors can cripple your speed.
Today I am renewing my subscription to Iolo System Mechanic (for the 5th year), their maintenance tools are awesome. Sometimes you download a new windows update and end up with hundreds, if not thousands of registry errors - registry errors that would go otherwise undetected. Iolo also has a really cool memory defrag when your RAm gets all sucked up due to workig with graphics.

I also use Iolo for their antivirus updates, but not their firewall.

I just clicked on my Iolo settings and found I still have 1.33 TB of free disk space. Rock on!

You might also consider running Malwarebytes, the live version. Malwarebytes looks for malware and not viruses....which are getting smarter and smarter and many now turn off software based firewalls like ZoneAlarm. With live Malware bytes though, you would still catch that known trojan from coming thru.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I do clean my registry as well.

I am going to back up this computer today.

I do have two laptops. This is my one at the office. A little old but it still worked up to about a week ago.

Damn!

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Someone posted up how to clear the cookies from adobe flashplayer. I usually stay on top of keeping things clean but I had been noticing a difference lately. I went to the adobe website posted http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html

You actually adjust the settings via the webpage.. It really sped surfing up.
Yup, I posted that trick over at RDP :D I stumbled on that info and even some PC security guys I know weren't aware of it.

·
R U or U R?
1,829 Posts
I was slow as well, so I looked at my disk ant the plate was full.

Available was 18.6 GB
Used is 18 GB

Glad U posted this, I got some cleanup to do.

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
I was slow as well, so I looked at my disk ant the plate was full.

Available was 18.6 GB
Used is 18 GB

Glad U posted this, I got some cleanup to do.
If you have a lot of large image files (or a shitload of small ones) taking up your space move em off to an external. large external drives are relatively cheap these days. Everyone should be backing up their data anyway.

I recently got an ibook 500gb mirrored external, works awesome for I think only around $200. There are a myriad available cheaper also.

·
MAMA TRIED
1,661 Posts
If you have a lot of large image files (or a shitload of small ones) taking up your space move em off to an external. large external drives are relatively cheap these days. Everyone should be backing up their data anyway.

I recently got an ibook 500gb mirrored external, works awesome for I think only around $200. There are a myriad available cheaper also.
Is it a mybook and you should be able to get a 2tb one for less then that. A 500gb is about 60-70 bucks or so, and a 1tb about 100-115. :D

If your PC is hammered, may be easier to backup and reinstall. You may want a XP disc with service packs built in or your will be downloading updates for a while. Sometimes this is easier then fighting serious malware spyware and gives you a chance to clean up un-wanted programs. I've been running windows 7 on a desktop and laptop at work for a while and it seems to run a lot better then Vista. Although it shuts down background apps and isn't a resource hog like Vista.

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
Is it a mybook and you should be able to get a 2tb one for less then that. A 500gb is about 60-70 bucks or so, and a 1tb about 100-115. :D
my bad. :D

The one I got is actually a 2tb (1 + 1 mirrored). Hell I can't remember all this shit. :D

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Available drive space is key...XP actually uses it on a temp basis for memory needs...

Coupla things to consider:

1. MS Outlook is a system hog...don't leave it open all the time....no need to keep more than 2-3 apps running...you can only do ONE...:p

2. Dump all the third-party software....get AVG or AVAST and that's it. Nortorn and McAffee are real hogs. Ad stuff is crap IMO...

3. Move not essential data files, especially pictures, to an external USB drive. Re-connect as needed.

4. If your slow across the 'net, run a Speedtest. Might be time to upgrade your account, if available.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Glary Utiilities is what I use for cleaning the registry, it's freeware. Malwarebytes as mentioned above is another good program.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
And if you reformat or get a new hard drive, partion it into at least two "drives". Move your MyDocuments to the other drive, i.e. "D" instead of your root "C". Most laptops are pre-configured this way.

·
R U or U R?
1,829 Posts
I was thinking about getting a new system soon anyhow. I've only got one usb port and its broke so I had to buy a double and hook it into the wireless card slot.
Plus I hate having an external CD drive.

·
Box Pimp
2,260 Posts
Get a Mac. :p

I would back up all the files you want to keep and wipe it clean, then put a clean copy of XP back on it and just the essential programs you need. If it's an old laptop chances are over the years you have installed and uninstalled a lot of programs.

Sometimes you just need to start fresh and you would be surprised how fast it is again.

And I mean operating system only install not the restore disc with all the junk they add to a new laptop.

Or get a Mac. :D

·
Faster, Stronger, Bionic
626 Posts
Here's what I'm running at home, and based on specs alone it should be a total POS by todays standards but it sure dosn't run like it is...

I haven't updated windows XP-pro for over a year, I have no permanent anti-virus software whatsoever (run AVG every now and then), I exclusively use Mozzilla for web browsing. I'm Running two mostly empty 80gig drives in SATA RAID configuration and mostly use a large external for data storage. Asus a78nx dual channel mother board with 3GB of Crucial memory in it an, overclocked AMD Barton 3300+ processor I don't recall what speed it's running, but it was fast as hell back in the day and it's been stable since it was built...and then there are a few hardware and software mods to make this stuff all work. The only thing I've upgraded since I built it was the video card recently so I could run a widescreen monitor. I bought one used for like $10 since it's old tech now.

I shopped around online lot for deals when I built it and it probably cost around $600-700 back in 2004. The total setup is probably worth less than $200 now, but it's 5+years old now and something really cool that I've noticed is that it still runs, much, much, faster than a lot peoples brand new, store bought computers with all the extra crap they pile on. When I get on other peoples machines, or new computers at work, I'm asking: "Seriously, this slow pile of crap is brand new? Really?"

Even though I don't really know much about computer hardware, I really enjoyed everything about building this thing. To me the process was similar to building a hot rod. Satisfied some inner need to do it myself I guess. I would recommend it to anybody. Of course it helps that I know and work with a bunch of geeky electronics computer engineer types, because I mostly have no idea what I'm doing, but I did a bit of research, asked a lot of questions, and got a fantastic result IMO. I plan on running this thing for a while yet even if it's only as backup to whatever monster I build in the future.:D

·
Junior Camper
58 Posts
...I would back up all the files you want to keep and wipe it clean, then put a clean copy of XP back on it and just the essential programs you need...

Sometimes you just need to start fresh and you would be surprised how fast it is again.

And I mean operating system only install not the restore disc with all the junk they add to a new laptop...
If you do this it will work faster than the day it was new! It's amazing how much crap they put on new computers. They crawl from the start and people think it's normal.

If you wipe and just load XP, office, and whatever other programs YOU need, you will be amazed how fast the thing will start, shut down, open programs, etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts