Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are pics or two rods I have had for quite some time. A BIG cap Carrillo and an Oliver Parabolic Beam Billet. Both were bought NEW from the same guy along with 2 sets of Crower Billet. All were $500 a set NEW except the Carrillo's which were $350.00 NEW W/ Carrbolts. The carillo's have never been in a motor (although they might not look it). and they never will be The point of this thread is to see if any one knows what is wrong with Carrillo's or why I would buy them, knowing full well I would never use them, and don't really care to sell them. At least not to anybody I know or could ever find me. Don't let the looks in the pic fool you, they were perfect when I bought them, in fact the other 7 are if I could remember where I put them:)sphss. I know Wannabe knows the problem with these POS's

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Attachments

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
gn7,

Not sure what I should be looking for here but right of the bat I'm having a hard time seeing a big end chamfer...

·
Registered
785 Posts
how bout the surface area for side clearance..
kind of like a very large brake pad.

oh.. uh.. the bolts are rusty ?

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
Ok ,
let the cat out :) I had a chance to buy carrillos or an old set of M/t and i liked the m/t rod better what do i want to look for and why I always thought carrillos had a good rep

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
gn7,

Not sure what I should be looking for here but right of the bat I'm having a hard time seeing a big end chamfer...
how bout the surface area for side clearance..
kind of like a very large brake pad.

oh.. uh.. the bolts are rusty ?
It has nothing to do with the condition of them now, I mostly use this one for a door stop:D. They have a chamfer, it's on the other side. The reason they look like this on this side is to NOT remove any more material than needed from the big end so that they can be strongerhil:) This rod is a morfidite, I actually believe that Carrillo is no longer making this POS. Don't miss the bigger picture here, I bought these rods knowing that anyone of them would be used as a door stop and nothing else. I have better things to do with my money than use $350.00 rods for door stops

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
what is the best alloy composition for an aluminum rod

·
Just another Wannabe
1,193 Posts
I have parts littered around the shop from the Carillo "Tapered" H beams that all broke at the small end right underneath the wrist pin. I am not really sure who O.K.d this design for production. It is flawed in it's design from word go. I was told to steer clear of the tapered version many moons ago when carillo came out with them, even before I saw one, and I did. But some of the great engines that I knew of back in the day died completely when these babies went boom! Every set I know of went boom! (Er wait- I do know of one engine that lived with them.) I did get to save one set of heads from one engine that went boom. The rest were total losses. Hey, even my pen holder is a piston with a tapered carillo on it. I almost forgot about that one.

Now, here is the thing that I can't wrap my mind around. Those babies were a cancer of biblical proportions. Carillo found that out and stopped making them, and made their standard H beams - that are great rods. But now some of the really trick rods in the Nascar scene have this tapered profile. How? Is it that they take them out after one race and pitch them so they don't have to live that long? I just can't figure it. I know the rod has to weigh a certain amount, so you want the least amount away from the centerline of the engine, so it makes sense to keep the weight off the pin end, but how do they get them to live a weekend in a NASCAR?
I say have your set zinc coated, chromed or something and make paperweights, clocks, or a really cool glass coffee table.
But save the Carr bolts for something else.

·
Just another Wannabe
1,193 Posts
You guys just made my day with those steel comments!
I knew there was a reason to come on this morning. Just the pick-me-up I needed!:D

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
BINGO thanks wannabe, that exactly whats wrong with these POS's. Whats more they are Super Cap Rods which makes the whole thing even funnier to me, the strongest big end, with strongest bolts in the industry with the weakest small end of anyrod out there. When one of these pieces of shit lets go it breaks just below the small end and turns itself into a buzz saw that can cut a motor in half before you can turn off the key. The reason I bought these rods was to put the Carr-bolts in another set of rods and the bolts are more expensive the price I paid for these rods. The bolts sell for about 35.00 ea and are virtually indestructable, Someday I may sell them with ARP 8740 bolts (which are stronger than POS rod) to someone I really don't care for :|err

·
Administrator
11,646 Posts
Maybe sell them to the guy in the spam section that's been rippin everyone off. Just get paid up front. :D

I've never run tapered Carrillos but have had excellent luck with std H beams. I have a couple here in my flower pot that survived crank broken in half explosion several years ago in a turbo motor going flat out. Their tweeked a bit but never broke at all. I have the 2 pc crank here somewhere too. Those rods are Strong mf'ers.

·
Just another Wannabe
1,193 Posts
Yes, they are strong. Just put a set in my turbo Schiada. But I wouldn't put a tapered carillo in my lawn mower.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
The tapered pieces may be POS es as you guys say. I can not and will not argue with that.
The standard H beam that has been around forever is a great piece! I would put them in anything short of real BA applications (PM or up).
I ran a set for 10 years (got them used out of an east coast modified) (PE blown application) and retired them after I broke a piston. Rod still in one piece.
This design may suck. Bad move I guess by them.
They (with the exception of this design obviously) are a great pieces.
Wags
BTW, the reason I did not buy another set was only $$$. I think 1600 a set with bad ass bolts...my cost.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts