Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question, what would be the approx cost ratio between the 2 for a simple straight driveway to a freestanding garage, one car wide about 70 feet long. Myself and MB manage a rental house in Claremont and the existing asphalt driveway is in bad shape.

If anyone is interesting in quoting it, taking quotes this week. It would require removal of the old asphalt also and haul off. The old driveway is lifted by roots so there may be some root removal required (likely). There was a tree that was recently removed that died close by.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Rex,
I would definitely go with concrete, it'll outlast the asphalt. It may be more money now, but you won't have to do this again, or any type of maintenance for a looooooooooong time.
Just my $.02

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
If concrete is not cost prohibitive, the return on investment will be exponentially better.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand the benefits of concrete but its not my house. If it was mine it would get concrete or pavers. We manage it for an older lady who owns it and doesn't have tons of dough to spend on the house (its a rental). So back to my question on cost of asphalt vs concrete. ....

Figure a 10 x 70 area just for approximation. It is an old house (early 1900's) with only a one car garage too.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
If it is a renal and you have root or soil problems I would just replace with asphalt. I cant find the number right now, but Western States Paving out of Monrovia could give an estimate on the asphalt. Marty is the owner, a fellow boater and I believe a Rex marine customer. Sight unseen I would give an estimate of $6650 removal and replace with 4 " concrete with fiber mesh.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
If it is a renal and you have root or soil problems I would just replace with asphalt. I cant find the number right now, but Western States Paving out of Monrovia could give an estimate on the asphalt. Marty is the owner, a fellow boater and I believe a Rex marine customer. Sight unseen I would give an estimate of $6650 removal and replace with 4 " concrete with fiber mesh.
DAMN DUDE. That is cheap.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its Sunday maybe someone else is looking, can anyone give me the cost relationship between concrete and asphalt? Atlas I'll be contacting you re your PM also. Thanks

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Mike... Ive been in the Asphalt paving Industry ...Now 5th generation.My familyhas production/laid down OH/FL/NV/LA/MI I personally have Made and Laid Asphalt for 35+ years Mostly State and Federal Projects Including FAA Projects in Ohio Cleve Hopkins As well as BukelakeFront Airport Wayne County/Detroit Metro Airport and Ohio TurnPike and Interstate 90 from the Ohio/PA Line to Ohio/MI interchange As well as other MAJOR Interstate Highway Projects.....Asphalt is Cheaper Then Concrete and when Done right will last a 10 years Plus before Maint.
Let me know if I can help in any way.
AJ

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
We just had the same situation with our rental in Glendora. Redo the asphalt or put in concrete. The concrete was actually cheaper and looks so much better. Have a couple of contacts that I will get to you when I get into the office tomorrow.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys. If concrete turns out anywhere close to price of asphalt she might go for it, otherwise it will be asphalt cause as I said the owner doesn't have a lot of $$ to spend.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Asphalt use to be way cheaper. Now that work is slow concrete prices have come down. 700 sq ft is less than a load from a mixer truck. Asphalt $2-3 a sq ft $1400-2100 concrete $5-6 a ft $3500-4200. Root removal and compaction will raise the price a little. Depending on base after removal you might have to add base and compact before asphalt can be installed correctly. Asphalt is soft and requires road base to keep from sinking. Depending on your soil you will want atleast 4" of base under asphalt.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok getting back to this gathering quotes and info will likely release this work in the next week.

Some refined info. Driveway is 9 ft wide by 63 feet long. Existing asphalt appears thin (old and probably not more than 2" thick) and raised by roots. House is early 1900's and it wouldn't surprise me if this driveway is many decades old. There is also a concrete curb on both sides that my guess is will be hard to save with excavation of roots and existing asphalt down to acceptable grade for asphalt base or 4" concrete slab. If torn up the curb will have to be replaced also. Either way its going to have to go deeper than present grade

If we go with concrete I want wire or fiber mesh, not just concrete. I don't want it breaking up again anytime soon.

I'm going to post some pics also of it that I took earlier today so can get better idea. Anyone interested in quoting please contact.

SconA I will attempt to contact Marty also tomorrow, thank you.

·
"BOUGHT NOT BUILT"
8,077 Posts
Ok getting back to this gathering quotes and info will likely release this work in the next week.

Some refined info. Driveway is 9 ft wide by 63 feet long. Existing asphalt appears thin (old and probably not more than 2" thick) and raised by roots. House is early 1900's and it wouldn't surprise me if this driveway is many decades old. There is also a concrete curb on both sides that my guess is will be hard to save with excavation of roots and existing asphalt down to acceptable grade for asphalt base or 4" concrete slab. If torn up the curb will have to be replaced also. Either way its going to have to go deeper than present grade

If we go with concrete I want wire or fiber mesh, not just concrete. I don't want it breaking up again anytime soon.

I'm going to post some pics also of it that I took earlier today so can get better idea. Anyone interested in quoting please contact.

SconA I will attempt to contact Marty also tomorrow, thank you.
you can get flat work done in vegas for 2.25 a ft all day long... at 10 bucks a ft, I'm going back in the concrete business..

·
Head Janitor
690 Posts
What is below the current asphalt? Soil, road base, or something different?

Depending on what it is, you could also do CTB (cement treated base) to basically create a low strength grout type base (really helps stabilize the subgrade) for the asphalt - THAT will last a LONG time. Also, instead of hauling off the old asphalt, can you not till it in (environmental issues)? It should create a better base (and if you CTB at the same time the oils help). We are typically able to treat 12" @ 5% for $4.50/SY (but I'm sure the large quantity helps). Instead of using a reclaimer, you could disk it in.

We use 12" of 5% CTB with 6" of road base on top to support out 1.3 million pound crawler with minimal rutting...

Regarding concrete, I have you figured at 10.5 CY at a 6" depth and 21 CY at a 2" depth - that shouldn't cost over $750/$1500 for concrete alone. If you go 6" you could probably get by with just one heavily loaded mixer to keep the cost down. You'd just need bar and some guys to PFC. Don't forget the expansion joints!

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you can get flat work done in vegas for 2.25 a ft all day long... at 10 bucks a ft, I'm going back in the concrete business..
Steve I'm assuming that is labor + materials (mud, grid, removal of old asphalt, etc) ??

Concrete is sounding like the way to go based on several comments and pms at 600 sq feet it is a little job for most. I does have the little curbs which if broken out will need to be replaced.

I have one quote in the mid 3K range so far but not sure if includes grid or mesh at all.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a follow up and thanks to all who offered help in the thread and by pm.

We poured it Sat and came out great. I found several guys on CL who quoted and feel I got a real good guy and crew that I'd recommend to anyone doing this type of work. We poured 3000# pea gravel with wire, he even threw in redoing the walkway which was cracked and around 42" x 20', all for $3450. Great work, great guys to deal with. I had quotes over 5K so pays to not be in a hurry and shop it a bit. We ended up about 13 yards too as had to raise the level a bit to get enough fall from the garage to the street and it ended up 6" in spots towards the high end. Drains perfectly though now though. Not a cent more was requested either and I know he didn't plan on using that much mud in the orig quote.

If anyone want a good referral I'll be happy to pass this one along to you.

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
Of course, there will be photos of the finished product, right? A post like this from you without a photo is somehow incomplete.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts