Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
come confess your boat sins to me my son...

I will start.

I got my boat some time after college, after going on a buying spree that included a truck, a vette, and a TV, my uncle said he was selling his boat. I couldn't resist.

I didn't have a lot of money at the time, so I built it up, little by little. We started with a 454, and after a while I put some turbos on it. When it came to wiring though...oh man was I a hack.

Wire not long enough? Grab that piece of wire sitting in the driveway and butt connect it. Still not long enough? grab another! I found my oil pressure sending unit wire that had 3 colors!

One day, in a rush, I messed up my battery install. I had the neg to pos on one battery and hooked up correctly on the other. When I flipped the dual switch...BZZZZZTTTTT!

I caught it quickly, thank goodness! But 2 of my little wires were fried. So what did I do? created new insulation...with electric tape.

So now, I am trying to redo some of this stuff the right way, but man...part of me is laughing at me...part of me is just disgusted :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dude, Glad to see your part of the human race. My nickname is "two time," That's the usual # of times I have to go back to the store to get the right part.
Still haven't learned my dads fovorite saying.
"Why is there time to do it the second time, but never enough time to do it right the first time."
Good Luck!

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
I confess, tail light problem, used a wire nut from the house to keep the wires together..with some tape...forgot about it for about 8 years..noticed it last week while messing with the wiring. Did i replace the wiring? NOPE, was butt splicing MO FO!

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
My trailer was wired with speaker wire :)sphss I know it's not right, finaly gave up this year after 2 year in storage.

·
....like warm apple pie
1,681 Posts
Ok, how many times have ZIP TIES bailed you out in a pinch......and then you forgot about them?? Trust me!! I speak from experience on that one!! LOL!!!

Better than duct tape sometimes!!! ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
wires expensive! mines still got 3 colors from the deck to the back =)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I've seemed to take my time and do it right the first time, but then again thats probably why I haven't hit the water in 3 years cause my damned boat is in pieces still. Now my hack jobs on my various 4x4's oh boy!

Had a dash fire in a truck once in the middle of the forest. Put it out, taped the wires drove it the rest of the summer that way. Cracked the frame, welded it up and sold the truck for 500 more than I paid for it... LoL

~Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts