Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a boat that and it turned out the engine was totally unusable, and not rebuildable. ....ok, we move on.

I have the chance to buy a 454 engine out of a running truck.
I was told not to use an engine from a vehicle because the clearances are too tight and it will have bearing problems most likely.

Is this true?

I really wanted to start buying BBF parts, but there is not as much available for it, so I am thinking just buy a nice used BBC engine and be done with it.

I need an engine for my boat so I can go to the power tour next week.
There is a blown 468 that just came up for sale, but it's 9 hour drive to get it.

Anyone else in San Diego that has a BBC they want to sell?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I recently bought a boat that and it turned out the engine was totally unusable, and not rebuildable. ....ok, we move on.

I have the chance to buy a 454 engine out of a running truck.
I was told not to use an engine from a vehicle because the clearances are too tight and it will have bearing problems most likely.

Is this true?

If it's a used motor, I can just about guarantee the clearances are no longer too tight. :). If' it's just to get the boat runnin, and on the water, go for it. Then you can build a serious motor later.

Darrell.

·
PASO ROBLES CA
672 Posts
Gordon dont want to be biasd because its my motor, but this motor is probably as clean and as built as you would ever want it and its ready to drop in marine wise and you would not have to worry about building another I GUARNTEE IT Greg

·
Just another Wannabe
1,198 Posts
Bearing clearances are not your concern. The difference is the cylinder to piston wall. Since you have ultra cold water coming in to cool the block, the thing does not grow like it would in a car/truck. So there is an extra thousanth or 1.5 in a boat engine.
It is not optimum, but run the thing. And if you are worried, throw a thermostat in your boat so it runs a little hotter.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I agree. Piston clearences are a bigger issue than the main and rod bearing, so long as you don't dump 50 wt in the thing and run it to death. Cast pistons in the truck motor are a little more forgiving that forged piston would be to cold block scenerio.
Stock motors, specially crate motors get a bad rap when used as marine engines, mainly due to the piston issues, but from people trying to run too heavy of an oil in them as well.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Just another Wannabe
1,198 Posts
. . . and don't forget the absolute abuse. Fire it and rev it to the moon with no temp, shut it right off after overheating, and my favorite, not draining the water in the block over the winter.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Most.....

Most, not all, junkyard type vehicle engines in boats are a dismal failure. A boat never coasts, and requires constant loads on the engine. Very few auto type engines ever see that. Look through all the "marine" engine failures and realize how often failures occur..... Greg's stuff is first class, I've been there and if he says it's "boat ready" , it is...... Look, leave right now, and you could be back at this time tomorrow, Paso isn't that far.......

Ray

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Most, not all, junkyard type vehicle engines in boats are a dismal failure. A boat never coasts, and requires constant loads on the engine. Very few auto type engines ever see that. Look through all the "marine" engine failures and realize how often failures occur..... Greg's stuff is first class, I've been there and if he says it's "boat ready" , it is...... Look, leave right now, and you could be back at this time tomorrow, Paso isn't that far.......

Ray
Yeah, your right. Towing a loaded 30 ft fifth wheel trailer, including the truck, the boat, all the tools and spare motor, up thru the grape vine, over Cajon Pass, Or St Georges gorge with the water temp houvering around 240, is a walk in the park compared to trauma a boat could produce:)sphss Never seen a 454 ever have to that. Thank God!:)hand

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Greg, If you were probably a few hours away, I would head over and buy your engine. That engine is really exactly what I want to put in the boat. If there were a way I could get away for a day or two, I would head up there. I think you had a great idea in your PM to bring the boat with me and mount it at your place, but it's just not doable; now the boat is locked in my property till I can move it over the new concrete. This week and next we are Pouring 114 yards of concrete for my driveway--100% stamped too, so I have to be here to help and inspect the work.

I asked a friend of mine if he wanted to go up there for me; I'll know tonight after work if he will do that for me. He's a busy guy, so I'm crossing my fingers.

·
PASO ROBLES CA
672 Posts
lol well hell could of had my boys pour your drive as well. The idea of me dropping the motor for ya and getting it going is something i have no prob of doing its too bad ya cant make it work good luck gordon on your quest let me know if there is anything more i can do thanks greg and ray thanks for the nice words your always a class act despite what i have heard lol:D see ya soon ray

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
Cougar, I hope you are able to sell that thing intact. It would be a shame to bust that package up. The price certainly right. I wish I had the free cash right now. I'd be all over that thing.
we ALL know how bad YOU really want a badass TURBO motor!!!:D:D;):p
just messin' I'd like to have it too:D but I finally have my whippled
509 about ready to assemble, just in time for NEXT year:mad:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Pull it tonight and meet me at the Shakys pizzia on the exit if highway 5 and the 10 tomorrow at 1pm and I'll buy it for 6 grand. that's half way for me.

·
PASO ROBLES CA
672 Posts
I just took my whippled cougar out sat urday naci never looked so good ran that thing until the girlfriend pissed her shorts . Let me tell you fellas that a womens sign to SLOW THE FK DOWN LOL ALSO A TRUST BUILDER

·
PASO ROBLES CA
672 Posts
WELL GORDON CONGRATS ITS YOURS i WANT YOU TO HEAR IT BEFORE I PULL IT TONIGHT. ALSO THIS IS GOING INTO A JET I NEED YOU TO SEND ME YOUR PAN AND PICK UP . I WANT THIS THING COMPLETE BEFORE IT LEAVES HERE ,I WANT YOU TO JUST HAVE TO BOLT IT IN, I DONOT WANT YOU TO HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WHATSO EVER. LETS CHAT LATER

THANKS FOR EVERYONES INPUT MUCH APPREC SOLD

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
I just took my whippled cougar out sat urday naci never looked so good ran that thing until the girlfriend pissed her shorts . Let me tell you fellas that a womens sign to SLOW THE FK DOWN LOL ALSO A TRUST BUILDER
glad to see you got to take the boat out this year-I never even got to
go near the lake this summer:mad: and what about this post summer weather we've had this week! I just wanna go to the lake!

·
PASO ROBLES CA
672 Posts
I am itchen to go again. If you want to roll up in the Cougar for a test and tune that would be great.Looks like motor might have fell through,not sure yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts