Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
40' of Skater
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gary Smith, (Predator), and Larry Peto ran 164 and ended up 4th overall. Dave Scott ran 196, CMS ran 177, Pyburn ran 169. They were a touch off on setup, still having another 600rpm left, but it was a good run.

Not to bad considering they were against canopy boats that are
about 10-12mph faster because of the aero.:)sphss

Also heard Kap owned it with his bad ass Howard!!!:)devil

Congrats guys!!!:D

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
Would like to see what that boat can do with a good 2 mile run!!!:)devil
You want pics or video? :p

p.s. Congrats Gary and crew. :)

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
Congrats, Gary! Nice to see someone on the boards wringing their boat out every chance they get.

How close was the radar to the GPS?

·
Registered
234 Posts
LOTO was a blast.They had 123 entries of which we were 4th fastest at 164.We left 500 rpm by not having the lower gear ratio that we should have had.
Unfortunatly the good ole boy network is alive and still showing favoretism for a local-cms racing.The mti canopied boat was allowed to make a pass thru the starting line at 70 mph and ran a 177mph which they allowed.Every body else was held to 30 mph at the start with a deduction of 1 mile per hour off of your top speed for every mile over 30.So in the CMS case they should have logged him in at 137mph.That sucked.
When i made my run, they gave the credit for the run to Dirty Duck-a local 40 skater who was still tied up to the dock and hadnt even run that day.I protested it over the vhs radio and had one of our crew go over to tech to get it straightened out.It was straightened out.
Last years shootout winner was given a 90 mph run thru the starting line to go 178 mph and crowned the winner while everybody else was held to 30 mph.That sucks.

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
Gary Smith, (Predator), and Larry Peto ran 164 and ended up 4th overall. Dave Scott ran 196, CMS ran 177, Pyburn ran 169. They were a touch off on setup, still having another 600rpm left, but it was a good run.

Not to bad considering they were against canopy boats that are
about 10-12mph faster because of the aero.:)sphss

Also heard Kap owned it with his bad ass Howard!!!:)devil

Congrats guys!!!:D
Dave has never run that fast. What motors did he have? I thought CMS is a canopy boat?? The new 48MTI?

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
I was part of a group that made the journey out to loto (pix to follow).
The entire 4 days we were there absolutely flew by. The boats were amazing as well. "All the best hardware in town", a truly sick display.

However, the truly amazing thing about the weekend was the 50,000 boat (plus or minuse a few) raft-up starting at Hurricane brige heading down course. That was f'ing amazing.

All in all, a fantastic time.

·
The Dog Catcher
476 Posts
LOTO was a blast.They had 123 entries of which we were 4th fastest at 164.We left 500 rpm by not having the lower gear ratio that we should have had.
Unfortunatly the good ole boy network is alive and still showing favoretism for a local-cms racing.The mti canopied boat was allowed to make a pass thru the starting line at 70 mph and ran a 177mph which they allowed.Every body else was held to 30 mph at the start with a deduction of 1 mile per hour off of your top speed for every mile over 30.So in the CMS case they should have logged him in at 137mph.That sucked.
When i made my run, they gave the credit for the run to Dirty Duck-a local 40 skater who was still tied up to the dock and hadnt even run that day.I protested it over the vhs radio and had one of our crew go over to tech to get it straightened out.It was straightened out.
Last years shootout winner was given a 90 mph run thru the starting line to go 178 mph and crowned the winner while everybody else was held to 30 mph.That sucks.
Nice job Gary! Thanks for representing us West Coast peeps. We were a few boats down when you pulled up to talk with one of the official boats. Didn't think you were making dinner plans.

Back at Captain Ron's

·
Registered
386 Posts
I hope some of this fast equipment shows up at Salton Sea Speed Week, December 4-6. With below sea level altitude, extra heavy on the salt water, likely less than 60 degree air temp and a limitless run-up area on both ends of the kilo course, the numbers could get really large! Last year, Teague's 36 Skater with a pair of stock 525s ran in the 131-132 mph range -- pretty incredible.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Congrats Larry....regardless of the politics...great numbers on your part and great to see someone really pushing their pleasure boat to the maximum potential such as yourself and Kap.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Politics SUCK, :|err

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gary or anyone planning on attending that weeknd. That event is really a good time to see what everyones boat has, hands down . Went last year was fun hope to see more big cats out there this year

I hope some of this fast equipment shows up at Salton Sea Speed Week, December 4-6. With below sea level altitude, extra heavy on the salt water, likely less than 60 degree air temp and a limitless run-up area on both ends of the kilo course, the numbers could get really large! Last year, Teague's 36 Skater with a pair of stock 525s ran in the 131-132 mph range -- pretty incredible.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am considering the salton sea kilo run.I just need reassurance my pretty tilt trailer dosent have to launch me in that nasty water.Hopefully they will have a crane there.
Then again that is in the middle of my dune season.:)

·
32 DW X-CAT
2,271 Posts
LOTO 2009

Comments:

Well I just rolled in from driving 1800 miles one way and let me tell you it was worth it.

What an amazing event the spectator numbers were estimated at 62,000 plus. The fleet of boats was estimated this year to be about 5000 boats and I can honestly say it was about right on Saturday.

I saw the Predator boat in the starting area waiting his turn---yeah! that was me in the silver little boat:D.

I hit the course five times and no run was under 112MPH in our single engine 28 Ft. Howard Sportdeck. I hit 118MPH [two GPS units in the boat] and the radar trap had me at 116MPH. Let's just say the biggest wheel aka prop I had was a 34 and I need a 35-36 pitch prop. to keep from hitting the rev limiter:D. The boat definitely has more to give and the last run was solid and aired out perfectly.

I ran in the professional class this year and it was a lot of fun----the boat ran flawlessly---no bullshit it was some of my best driving to date. Since were commenting on best's--- the Nautimarine boat which laid down the 196MPH---was an awesome sight and I knew when that boat took off it was going to hit a HUGE NUMBER.

FYI---They yanked the alcohol motors and put in two fresh gas ones overnight---that is wrenching to the extreme:)bulb.

We had a lot of fun and made a lot of friends the best part of the trip for me was the commentators were simply just calling me KAP when I took the course and started my runs it made me feel right at home:D.

2009 LOTO Shootout is a top notch event and the largest unsanctioned boating event in the country---it is very Superbowl like in terms of overall spectators at the event.

I will have more details but I am burnt from driving back:)sphss.

KAP

1 - 20 of 21 Posts