Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Past owner and driver Steve Westerfield of a TAF gave up his Boat racing around 4 years ago. They bought a TOP ALCOHOL FUNNY CAR and started racing NHRA. Last weekend the Westerfields got a their 1st win! Shane Westerfield is the son of Steve that drives the car. Congrats to Steve and Shane for the start of many more wins to come!

·
"Need For Speed"
1,210 Posts
Yes, we pitted next to them with our A/FD (TAD). Seemed to be nice folks and we both won. I think we must have been good luck to each other:)

Bye the way, this was at the NHRA, Houston Royal Purple Raceway, Lucas Oil Regional race.

Gear

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Little Lil' John Lombardo Jr...

Back in the late 70s, early 80s I worked for Lil' John Lombardo the AAFC racer... His Son, whom I called "Little Lil John" was in his early teens and hung around the funny car shop and the parts store during the summer. Over time, I taught him how to cut drums and rotors, press axle bearings and bang u joints, as well as stocking shelves cutting oil cases, (they were still in cardboard cans back then, 24 to a case that we cut down to 12 packs) etc etc....

NOW, all grown up, he's running his own NAPA sponsored Alcohol Funny Car..... He won the World Finals, AND the Winter Nationals, back to back at Pomona in 2012-2013..... And yes, that is one tough class of dedicated racers, the subject of this thread included.... I'm really glad to see Jr. "stepping up" in his famous father's footsteps, and am reminded of the AA/FC match races of the late 60s through the mid 80s...Who can forget the "64 Funny Cars" nights at Orange County??? That is where Jr. got his "roots" in the company of Gazan, Gillis, Adolph, Beadle, Emery, Armstrong, Bernstein, Leong, and yes, even Force, ("Brute Force" in those days).... It's kinda weird watching the alcohol cars of today run the ETs the fuel cars of the 80s ran, aint modern technology grand? Of course the AA/FCs of the 80s didn't have any data recorders or clutch timers, only had one MAG, and believe it or not, WATER in the motors!!!
So...Here's an "atta boy" for my friend "Little Lil John Lombardo Jr." I guess I'll have to get to an NHRA event and tell him in person how proud I am of what he has done with his life....

Ray

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Way to go Steve & Shane, was just a matter of when, but i knew you would get there.....So when i see you guys at Los Cabos next time the first round is on me...again Congrats on a great weekend and WIN!!!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thank you guys very much...Didn't think anyone was following the car stuff over here. We had a lot of fun last weekend maybe we can even get a couple more wins. Hopefully we will see everybody at Irvine in May. We will be hanging out with our buddy Cole Thurston.

Shane

1 - 10 of 10 Posts