Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I consider safety wiring the oil pump pickup to the oil pump too?
It's a tight a** press fit in the pump and it also bolts to the bottom cover, I really don't want to tac weld it.
I'm 3/8 off the bottom of the pan >last pickup (wrong one) was 5/8"

I've used safety wire for other applications, never failed.

·
steelcomp was here
26,526 Posts
It's a tight a** press fit in the pump and it also bolts to the bottom cover, I really don't want to tac weld it.

It's best to take it to a good welder and have it Tig'd. I honestly don't think that's the right application or place for safety wire.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
It's best to take it to a good welder and have it Tig'd. I honestly don't think that's the right application or place for safety wire.
x2 , you'll be hard pressed to find a press in pick up tube that won't break the bracket and fall out, tiggin it is just piece o mind.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

I would rather have the pick up welded, but if you had to, I have seen them with a set screw drilled and tapped into the pump base and Red Loctite a set screw into the pickup tube, safety wire won't keep it from moving, just from out and out falling off....FWFW, welding does not hurt the pump if done correctly.

GT

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohhh ok ...tac welded it is. So much for getting the short block in today.

PS > the cam degreed dead nuts on @ 9.5

·
steelcomp was here
26,526 Posts
Ohhh ok ...tac welded it is. So much for getting the short block in today.

PS > the cam degreed dead nuts on @ 9.5
Ray, put more than a tack weld on it, or it'll break. I'd put a minimum of (2) 3/8" -1/2" beads, 180* from eachother.

·
Some guy
3,620 Posts

If it has a decent bracket that bolts to the pump, I don't see a need to weld the pickup. It then becomes a one time use type thing, and you may not be able to take the pump apart for inspection and cleaning in the future.

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
My first build the dooley oil pickup wouldnt fit into the pump, so i put the pump in the oven at 250* and put the pickup in the freezer. I could then get the pickup into the pump and when both became the same temp it was solid, least it feeled that way. The dooley bolts to a main cap so i also did that. Well during my tear down of my motor i unbolted the dooley pickup from the main and it fell off!! I never noticed oil pressure issues and i tend to watch that gauge alot but still. This time around i drilled out the pump and had the pickup welded to the pump, following the instructions given to me by Stefs/B&B. Lesson learned.

·
Some guy
3,620 Posts
The only thing that bothers me a little bit about that one is the support bracket looks to be fairly light gauge steel, which could possibly crack due to vibration. One of the dirt track engines that I build for a mod had something like that happen, fortunately caught it during an inspection before it broke all the way and I beefed it up some.

It does look like if you welded that pickup, you could still open the pump if necessary, many are not like that.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I have ran the same pick up. First, that brace will fail!! Second, I have never had good luck with milodon pickups. I don't know if it's the perf screen they use or what, but I have never had good, consistent oil pressure with them. At least in a boat. I have completely given up on iron pumps because of the pics below. Miliodon pump, MADE IN THE USA, second iron pump to fail in the past 18 months. I think alot of the problem lies in the fact that the old pumps would not clear the main bolts on the GEN 6 motors, (or a main stud on a MKIV) without modification. It use to be that if I was running main studs, I would either have to grind the stud nut or run a stock bolt on one of the inner mains. So they have changed the pumps and they don't seem as strong as the older units. Have not been able to find a pump that is built off the old blueprints anymore. It also would hurt if the cutter for the hold bolt wasn't quit so big, and if you/they would radius the area where it cuts into the body. This pump broke due to a bad shake from failed drive shaft, unfortunatly, the pump broke in the next race. :)stJMO.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Note...the pic above is my prior pump, I just posted the pic to show it also bolts to the pump.

My new Mellings is their "performance CNC" HV offering.
Same type of PU (also bolts on) but is a 1/4" deeper to give 3/8" off the bottom.

I'm having difficulty making it to a welder after work before they close!!!

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Note...the pic above is my prior pump, I just posted the pic to show it also bolts to the pump.

My new Mellings is their "performance CNC" HV offering.
Same type of PU (also bolts on) but is a 1/4" deeper to give 3/8" off the bottom.

I'm having difficulty making it to a welder after work before they close!!!

Might have to go for a nooner:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts