Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Steve
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start by saying, this is my first time around learning to drive and set up a vdrive. I have no problem doing the "trial and error" thing to learn to launch a boat. But when it starts to porpoise at 60mph+, I want to figure out safely how to deal with it. Basically, I know my boat can be set up to not hop around at speed. Ha, I just don't know how to do it. For now, I can keep it stable by using what seems to me like a lot of down pedal. About the time she starts to take a set, it starts to porpoise, which I've read is fairly typical (until time is put in to the setup). I'm looking to be able to run around the 90 mph mark without being on the down pedal and plowing with the nose.

I know all this won't happen over night. For now my plan is seat time, seat time, seat time, seat time. Just don't want to get spit out learning WTF I'm doing. I'll list as much info as I can about what I have. If anyone has any questions or suggestions on how to get this thing to settle down, please throw 'em out there. Thanks.

19' Sanger Family Ski
Stock 427 BBC (guessing around 375-400 hp)
10* Casale Box (with whirl away & 9% gears)
Don't know shaft angle
11 3/8 X 16 prop
Motor is 31" from transom
Vdrive is 97" from transom
Back of strut barrel is 25" in front of end of plates
Plates stick out 10" off back of boat

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'll start by saying, this is my first time around learning to drive and set up a vdrive. I have no problem doing the "trial and error" thing to learn to launch a boat. But when it starts to porpoise at 60mph+, I want to figure out safely how to deal with it. Basically, I know my boat can be set up to not hop around at speed. Ha, I just don't know how to do it. For now, I can keep it stable by using what seems to me like a lot of down pedal. About the time she starts to take a set, it starts to porpoise, which I've read is fairly typical (until time is put in to the setup). I'm looking to be able to run around the 90 mph mark without being on the down pedal and plowing with the nose.

I know all this won't happen over night. For now my plan is seat time, seat time, seat time, seat time. Just don't want to get spit out learning WTF I'm doing. I'll list as much info as I can about what I have. If anyone has any questions or suggestions on how to get this thing to settle down, please throw 'em out there. Thanks.

19' Sanger Family Ski
Don't know shaft angle
11 3/8 X 16 prop
To begin with there are Sharper guys on here that can help a great deal on setup BUT, That speed will not be seen with that HP! I'm guessing that on a 19 footer the engine is setup for skiing and is to far back for speed /control. I will watch this thread with interest for the setups and additional info, Good Luck

·
Steve
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The HP of the motor was just a guess. Right now I'm more or less just trying to get her settled down. Then see where I'm at speed wise.

·
Registered
80 Posts
S&S

I have the same haul you have, get ahold of Racerick here. Mine did the same thing, power or no power, and you can drive it all you want, it won't help, only make you mad, and it's no fun!! Change the down pedel spring to a dragrace spring, have Racerick work on the prop! Your not learning anything with it bouncing up and down. When I got my boat it all the down pedal all the time, now I am 3 from the top! Now I need more seat time to get it up more. Moved the engine foward 3". Was 7300rpm with 18 gears in 1000' @ Lake McSwain:))THumbsUp​

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Prop shaft angle isn't impossible to figure out. Find somebody with a smart level. Place it up against the bottom near the strut and have somebody crank the trailer jack up or down until its at 0 level. Then reset the smart level and place it against the prop shaft, read the level agin...done!

·
Steve
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the same haul you have, get ahold of Racerick here. Mine did the same thing, power or no power, and you can drive it all you want, it won't help, only make you mad, and it's no fun!! Change the down pedel spring to a dragrace spring, have Racerick work on the prop! Your not learning anything with it bouncing up and down. When I got my boat it all the down pedal all the time, now I am 3 from the top! Now I need more seat time to get it up more. Moved the engine foward 3". Was 7300rpm with 18 gears in 1000' @ Lake McSwain:))THumbsUp​
I'll shoot him a PM. I believe he lives close to me. Looked at your pics and yes same hull. Do you remember what your final motor placement ended up being and/or what prop worked best? I'll try to get shaft angle figured out this weekend. Thanks.

·
Bass Lake Dream'n
3,082 Posts
My Barron Sprint was like that. Anything over 65mph and it was crap. Check your running gear. If it's not drop through or you have any water pickups through the hull you're going to be upsetting your hull. I sold it due to other major problems, but I had a unused water pickup next to the strut. Shaved it down flush and it helped immensely.

·
Steve
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks man. I'm hoping to get this figured out before I start getting any bad driving habits. I can just feel that something is not set up correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
Steve,
I have the exact same boat and started out the same way (with much frustration from too many cooks in the kitchen). Find someone... either Rick or Andy (The Bandit) and use their expertise only to get it set right.

Also it is BEST to have somebody who knows how to drive a flat to give you a lesson on what is going on and how best to drive YOUR boat, every boat will have some differences that you need to learn what they are and react to them to drive them best.

I had Dave Kiker (TFH, BGF Driver) drive my flat and it turned out that it was me.... not the boat setup that was screwing everything up!

So get somebody to drive it, check it out, and if it needs setup get 1 guy to help you.... :))THumbsUp

Good luck - and YES SKI Sangers can take a set and run flat and nice!

·
Distinguished Member
5,786 Posts
Paul (PTC) some good advise regarding having only one knowledgeable guy help you out. Rick and Andy are good choices assuming you're NorCal/Sac area. A couple more points. Paul has about the same boat, but his set up will likely be different as he has a couple hundred more HP than you. Also, rolling into the throttle takes a bit different set up than standing on the throttle hard from a stop, or very slow roll so how you want to use it comes into play too. The Ski Sangers are bitchen all around fun boats. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
Paul (PTC) some good advise regarding having only one knowledgeable guy help you out. Rick and Andy are good choices assuming you're NorCal/Sac area. A couple more points. Paul has about the same boat, but his set up will likely be different as he has a couple hundred more HP than you. Also, rolling into the throttle takes a bit different set up than standing on the throttle hard from a stop, or very slow roll so how you want to use it comes into play too. The Ski Sangers are bitchen all around fun boats. Good luck.
tanks dave! - yea the video above was Kiker driving it and trying to figure out the porpoise on roll on starts, dead stop starts were pretty good but you could never come off the pedal all the way. The roll ons seemed to be tougher. We did find out during those runs that my pedal springs were too loose and he actually had to roll his foot over onto the up-pedal to keep the plates from sucking down. After the springs were tightened the setup done by Andy & George (Finishline) worked out perfect.

But Kikers final comment to me was "Yea you gotta F$%$^en WOOD IT!!!" ;)

·
V-Drive 4 ever
1,810 Posts
Rick has helped me set every boat I've had up that didn't ride well.. Right now tho he is working More the 8 hr days doing hardwood flooring and coming home at night and working on my engine so we can get the boat back together for NYD. I know he doesn't have time between now and NYD to really look at it but on NYD he would prolly take a look and see whats going on.. im sure the Busy lil Beaver will chime in .. Btw this rain sure is Bitchin.. Lakes about full im guessing :)

·
Steve
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea. Thanks for all the replies. Rick is a good guy. I already got a hold of him. He said he would give me a hand with it. My plan as of right now is to take the camera on NYD (let the people that know how to drive have the lake). Then maybe take my deal out on friday the 2nd and hope somebody will take her for a spin with me.

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
Yea. Thanks for all the replies. Rick is a good guy. I already got a hold of him. He said he would give me a hand with it. My plan as of right now is to take the camera on NYD (let the people that know how to drive have the lake). Then maybe take my deal out on friday the 2nd and hope somebody will take her for a spin with me.

Its gonna be a BIG lake with all this rain.... and you dont need to learn how to drive it in 1/4 mile cove! - just sayin' ;) I'd like to take a look at your boat if your gonna be there on NYD - if you see mine come say Hi and take a ride!

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
. If anyone has any questions or suggestions on how to get this thing to settle down, please throw 'em out there. Thanks.

19' Sanger Family Ski
Don't know shaft angle
11 3/8 X 16 prop
I normally do the Outboard set ups with their own language much like the Jet boaters.
Over the years you learn a little of each others language.

It seems that we all want that magic carpet feel under us, a running surface free from defects i,e, a hook helps !

The proper prop selection of pitch, diameter and prop shaft spacing, the gearing ratio,the correct motor placement c.g. setting are the real keys to the problem

It's a real game best left to the pro's to pick the lock

1 - 20 of 38 Posts