Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
YA, you sucked me in and I looked- your joking right? just the name
screams CHINA! + it looks like mostly small block stuff anyway, still,
you know your not gonna let yourself buy anything from there, so bite the
bullet, and get a SCAT- their not that much $$$ for what you get, and you won't have to say you got it at STAR GALAXY:mad:

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts

·
Distinguished Member
5,772 Posts
If you're making any power at all, buy a decent crank or expect the kind of results you and I both had with the forged Chevy. Yea, some people get away with running junk and it lives, but the odds are against you. The higher end Scat, Callies Compstar series (which I believe are offshore forgings), even Eagle/Ohio Crankshaft are better bets than the ProComp/SGI's.
Regardless, I would mag and check for journal roundness/crank straightness with any "budget" crank. Lots of stories of issues with Ohio and Eagle in this regard. Good luck....

1,011 Posts
If you're looking for a good crank at a reasonable price, check out Callies Comp Star on their site. I have one and think it's a good deal so far. It's forged over seas, but machined here by Callies. I got mine through a machine shop for $733. Summit wanted $795 for an Eagle. The shop said they can use Callies as it comes and almost always has to touch up the Eagle.

Tim

·
Administrator
16,877 Posts
They can't spell it, but they sure can machine it. :)sphss

hey if you are gonna knock off something you can't spell it the same. :)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Notice the title of this thread!!!!!!!

I tried to check out SGI and they are either Chinese or Indian. I am not buying from them!!!

Repeat; CONVERSATION. Don't go aquacraft on me. Just having a little fun.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
hey bob, not to change the subject, but good to meetcha down there. how did the points thing turn out? saw the boat go back out, but didn't know if you got enough laps or not....

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
To continue this conversation; is there anything in the $600.00 to $1000.00 range worth the price?????

This info will be great for a lot of us that are trying to get "edicated"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
To continue this conversation; is there anything in the $600.00 to $1000.00 range worth the price?????

This info will be great for a lot of us that are trying to get "edicated"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Right now for imports the only two I would consider are Scat (white box) or K1. I have no experience with Callies' import, although I hear good things. I'm done with Eagle or Probe. For 1000.00 you can get a 100% American made Howards Track Smart 4340 crank.. The Compstar is designed and finish-machined by Callies and a decent price at about 900.00, but again, nothing I have any experience with.
I was pretty impressed with the K1 I just used in a blower engine.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Fleet, Here are a few to look at:

Scat import- inspected and micro polished in U.S.A.
http://www.flatlanderracing.com/scc-4340std.html

Callies- says made in the U.S.A. but the prices make me think that they must be imported forgings.
http://www.flatlanderracing.com/dragonslayercranks.html

Theese say all domestic and have carrillo's name in their logo
http://www.flatlanderracing.com/K1-cranks.html

It seems that the scat cranks may be a little better than some of the other imports, but I personally know of one person that bought a brand new scat from flatlander racing and it was cracked upon arrival...FWIW.

Good luck,

Chris

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the K1 is an import.

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
like Steel said, Howards track smart is all USA- have seen them myself,
and they look very nice- their Ultimate Billet Rods are also very nice
pieces, but aren't cheap- you get what you pay for tho' been buying quite
a bit of Howard's stuff lately, for customers, and myself! (they have a pretty quick turnaround on custom ground roller cams- and they come in
that neat plastic box:p) just sayin'

1 - 20 of 26 Posts