Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
i got skiillllzzzz....
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking at my prop shaft where it meets the coupler.the prop shaft and the shaft that comes out of my v-drive are touching together.should there be a gap?all the other ones that i have looked at had a gap between them.is this caused be adding a whirlaway without shorting the shaft?my prop shaft is a 1/2" out from the end of the strut.is this ok? or do i need to do something.maybe cut the prop shaft so the prop is closer to the strut?just trying to get all the stuff right before i move my motor forward.its only at 32" and im going to 34".and is the cupler that i have good for the hp that i have or do i need the heavy duty one?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
i was looking at my prop shaft where it meets the coupler.the prop shaft and the shaft that comes out of my v-drive are touching together.should there be a gap?all the other ones that i have looked at had a gap between them.is this caused be adding a whirlaway without shorting the shaft?my prop shaft is a 1/2" out from the end of the strut.is this ok? or do i need to do something.maybe cut the prop shaft so the prop is closer to the strut?just trying to get all the stuff right before i move my motor forward.its only at 32" and im going to 34".and is the cupler that i have good for the hp that i have or do i need the heavy duty one?
The prop. shaft should be tight against the output shaft of the v-drive. This is where all the forward push comes from. If you install it tight & then end up with a gap, that is a bad thing.

Replace the coupler for a HD 6 bolt.

If a whirlaway was added & the shaft not cut your prop. would be to far from the strut. It should be within 3/8" if not closer.

·
i got skiillllzzzz....
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The prop. shaft should be tight against the output shaft of the v-drive. This is where all the forward push comes from. If you install it tight & then end up with a gap, that is a bad thing.

Replace the coupler for a HD 6 bolt.

If a whirlaway was added & the shaft not cut your prop. would be to far from the strut. It should be within 3/8" if not closer.
in the pics of my second post you can see where the shaft was at before the wirlaway install.should it be moved back?

·
i got skiillllzzzz....
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say too much. Like Morg said 3/8 or less. Cut the shaft and you could always put a couple nickles in if you need to space back out.
i thought it was to far back.i need to replace the prop shaft anyway.its been on since 74 and its had a 1000hp ran in the boat.thanks for the word.im just trying to fix all the little stuff that matters alot.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
in the pics of my second post you can see where the shaft was at before the wirlaway install.should it be moved back?
Like Morg said NO GAP!!! If the boat handled well before the whirl away was installed I would use that mark as a starting point (cut approximately that amount off if necessary). The further the prop is away from the strut the harder it is on things, prop shaft, strut bushings, etc...

Maybe its the angle of the photo but I think to prop shaft safety collar should be spaced away for the shaft log seal (3/8" to 1/2" or so). Just my .02 :)
x 2!!!

·
i got skiillllzzzz....
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe its the angle of the photo but I think to prop shaft safety collar should be spaced away for the shaft log seal (3/8" to 1/2" or so). Just my .02 :)
just looked at it and there is a mark where the set screw was a 1/2 " in front of the log seal.the guy that i got the boat from didnt know what he was doing.he had the whirlaway installed and just bolted the box back in without checking anything.looks like i got some work to do.

·
i got skiillllzzzz....
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like Morg said NO GAP!!! If the boat handled well before the whirl away was installed I would use that mark as a starting point (cut approximately that amount off if necessary). The further the prop is away from the strut the harder it is on things, prop shaft, strut bushings, etc...

x 2!!!
thats the thing.im trying to get it to handle better.i want everything to be right before i ad more power.i got it to run good but i know its far from perfect.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You need enough between the prop and the strut to get a prop puller in, that pretty much determines the distance. If you need to pull the shaft off of the coupler you can put a shim in between the two to eliminate any space. I don't see anything wrong with the distance you have between the prop and strut but you don't have any room to play around with, ie no way to shorten it up or lengthen it. A nickles worth can make a difference.

·
Purple headed member
7,170 Posts
As far as your prop and strut distance goes, I would remove the keyway and then put the prop back on. See if it's any closer without the key in. It could be that the previous owner didn't fit the key properly to the shaft/prop.

·
i got skiillllzzzz....
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As far as your prop and strut distance goes, I would remove the keyway and then put the prop back on. See if it's any closer without the key in. It could be that the previous owner didn't fit the key properly to the shaft/prop.
the props been on this boat since 74:mad:.the guy had a whirlaway installed and just put it back together.it needs a shorter shaft.

·
Purple headed member
7,170 Posts
the props been on this boat since 74:mad:.the guy had a whirlaway installed and just put it back together.it needs a shorter shaft.
So did he mount the v-drive in the same position or redrill the holes and move it forward 2 inches to make up for the whirlaway. If he put the V-drive back in the same place it was before the whirlaway the your prop should be nearly 2 inches from your strut barrel. If it's only 1/2 inch then something else has been changed. Unless he did that, your 1/2 inch gap has nothing to do with the installation of the whirlaway.
I could be totally lost and confused (wouldn't be the first time) but this is how I am reading it.

·
i got skiillllzzzz....
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So did he mount the v-drive in the same position or redrill the holes and move it forward 2 inches to make up for the whirlaway. If he put the V-drive back in the same place it was before the whirlaway the your prop should be nearly 2 inches from your strut barrel. If it's only 1/2 inch then something else has been changed. Unless he did that, your 1/2 inch gap has nothing to do with the installation of the whirlaway.
I could be totally lost and confused (wouldn't be the first time) but this is how I am reading it.
the v-drive is in the old spot.i dont think the shaft has been shortened.as far as the 1/2" gap it just seems to far from the strut.this is the fun of buying someones mess.we get to fix it all.the we can say we know our sh*t.the boat runs good right now but i want to ad some hp.so everythings got to be right.im still young.

·
Purple headed member
7,170 Posts
the v-drive is in the old spot.i dont think the shaft has been shortened.as far as the 1/2" gap it just seems to far from the strut.this is the fun of buying someones mess.we get to fix it all.the we can say we know our sh*t.the boat runs good right now but i want to ad some hp.so everythings got to be right.im still young.
If the V-drive is in the "Old spot" then the shaft was sortend at one time to make up for the whirlaway.
I understand your reasonings for wanting a new shaft, however to get the right length, I would remove the key and see how far up the prop wants to go "naturally". Your shaft might be the right length already it's just that the prop is not on all the way. If it wants to sit in the same spot on the shaft that it is now, then yes you could take and 1/8 or 3/16 off of it then play with a nickle to get it where you want it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just a question, why are you moving the motor forward? Did someone tell you to? And 1/2 in. between the prop and strut barrel is borderline but ok IMO. I thought the boat was set up as a blown gas deal and ran 114 or something?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Run at least enough space between the prop and the rear of the strut barrel for a puller. Remember all props the depth are not all the same, if you change often put them all on and judge the distant for the puller. Assuming you use a puller and not heat and beat, there are a lot of them out there.

·
i got skiillllzzzz....
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a question, why are you moving the motor forward? Did someone tell you to? And 1/2 in. between the prop and strut barrel is borderline but ok IMO. I thought the boat was set up as a blown gas deal and ran 114 or something?
im moving the motor because it is at 32".i have talked to the original owner and when the boat was set up with the hemi.it was at 34". it ran great.but ever the years of owners that dont know sh*t things got screwed up.it might be all different because i know the chevy doesnt wiegh as much.like i said before the boat rides good now,i just know it could be better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.