1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Pro Crap head?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Seen a crack in the same area before on some 990's that had been slightly ported.had a weird misfire that was tough to figure out till we saw water on a plug.must be a thin area to the coolant passage wether its alum or cast.btw congrats on the newborn led! Hope mom and baby are doin well.

·
BTC cardcarrying member
1,075 Posts
I have seen an intake port crack due to a rocker stud being flexed. I noticed a slight misfire at idle, pulled rocker cover to discover crack. These heads were old O.E. Chevy aluminum castings, heavily ported. This was years ago bracket racing.I dont know if this helps or not, just experience.

·
Bostick Racing Engines
1,063 Posts
Thin casting... or rather, thin in that area... whether it be from a bit heavy on the porting, thin (overall) casting to begin with, or core shift.

Seen procomp heads bust the rocker studs right off taking a chunk of the intake port roof with it... also seen the spring area cut deeper and had it start cracking there.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trick Flow 320 aluminum heads, I like them, flow good, plan is to grind out the crack and weld up them smooth, guessing thin casting, seems to be water on the other side, no signs on water in the cylinder, with an open water system with hardly any pressure and 7lbs of boost may have kept the water out, pulled heads for exhaust valve issue and found this during reassembly, just puzzling and financially scary,
Thanks Impatient family doing great!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't have a set of Pro Comps even set in the floor in shop, but they can be okay with good hardware, I would rather put good hardware on decent castings, as I did, these trick flows are not top of the line, but I think (as of today) they are up to the job for me, one more set back and I will go another route

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
There used to be a fella here in So Cal that could get great numbers out of any head, you just couldn't put water to them. More than likely they are just a bit thin, have seen this more times than not. When people had me weld a pin hole and I had to put a spot the size of a silver dollar, had to explain that I need material that is at least .080 to get the leak stopped. This is just one of the many problems that could be causing your problem.....BBD

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info, be anxious to see the repair, probably be better than new, Atleast I hope

·
Ain't Right Racin
1,706 Posts
Thanks for the info, be anxious to see the repair, probably be better than new, Atleast I hope
Have Don's neighbor Repair it. He's good....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts