Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Looks like there is quite the disparity from one to the other......

Federal law now has what lawyers call a "100-to-1" ratio for cocaine sentences, in which a person selling five grams of crack faces the same five-year mandatory minimum sentence as someone selling 500 grams of powder cocaine.
So the question is tuffer sentences for cocaine to match crack or lighter sentences for crack to match cocaine? Maybe somewhere in the middle?

·
Registered
334 Posts
This is Federal time, most Federal agents go after larger amount dealers. However this is a great tool to combat gang members slanging rock that come and go through the state system, which they may get 2 years minus 50% on the state side. 2nd offense federal, add anouther 5 years or more depending on quantity. Powder is more often sold at a larger quanity to convert to base (crack/rock), which have stiff penalties on the federal side.

Looks like there is quite the disparity from one to the other......

So the question is tuffer sentences for cocaine to match crack or lighter sentences for crack to match cocaine? Maybe somewhere in the middle?

·
Registered
483 Posts
How the hell does this unfairly punish blacks?

Critics of the law say it unfairly punishes black offenders, pointing to statistics showing 82% of federal crack cocaine convicts were black, while nine percent were white.

·
Banned
4,957 Posts

Because most crack heads are black. Cocaine is a white man's drug. How many black people do you recall seeing in "Less Than Zero"? :D

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts
This is ridiculous. I knew it was going now where good when in the first sentance it said its unfair to blacks... Give me a big phucking break. I cant believe that.

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts
Well Clinton said " yeah i smoked it but didn't inhale: Obama is gonna be " yeah I smoked a rock but didn't hold it on long enough to get the full ringer..." :p

·
The Man
1,788 Posts
Yea that's a bunch of sh!t. That's like saying meth busts are unfair to white people. I've heard people saying that law enforcement in some neighborhoods etc. arrest more blacks than whites, etc. when in fact the majority of people in those areas are....guess what? Black. No shit, you have more black people in one area, sure the % of blacks to whomever else will be higher. More blacks smoke crack than do coke. No surprise there.

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts
Poor people buy crack, rich people buy cocaine. If the laws aren't the same, ounce for ounce, then there is a bias against the poor.

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Poor people buy crack, rich people buy cocaine. If the laws aren't the same, ounce for ounce, then there is a bias against the poor.

No, there isn't.

The disparity in sentencing was DEMANDED by the communities over run with the violence and shattered lives caused by the much more devastating effects of crack cocaine.

End result was, just like when the same communties demand more policing, that it was racism.:)sphss:)sphss:)sphss:)hand

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts

Crack is linked to more violence, robberies, rapes etc etc... than cocain is. I think the current punishment plan goes along just fine. those people who do crack are usually invloved in other crimes to get their crack and or money to feed their habbit, unfortunately the majority of those people happen to be black. There is no bias against the poor- they're trying to target crack head losers and get rid of not only crack but the violence its linked to.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
must be a liberal lefty thing:)coffee
Not at all. Just common sense. What is crack made from..cocaine. Same drug why not the same penalty? I'm not saying lessen the charges for crack but why not have the same penalty even if that means stiffining the penalty for possesing cocaine or would that be unfair to whites and we can't have that? How much crack be made from 500 grams of cocaine? I don't know but I bet it's more than 5 grams.

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Not at all. Just common sense. What is crack made from..cocaine. Same drug why not the same penalty? I'm not saying lessen the charges for crack but why not have the same penalty even if that means stiffining the penalty for possesing cocaine or would that be unfair to whites and we can't have that? How much crack be made from 500 grams of cocaine? I don't know but I bet it's more than 5 grams.
Im not saying they shouldnt be a closer penalty imposed between the two, but rather just because black people do more of the cheaper stuff doesnt mean there is some diabolical plot against them, that mentality is just plain idiotic to me

·
Registered
127 Posts
The penalty for Cocaine base (rock/crack) was enhanced in the middle 80's when crack/rock was out of control in the inner-city. The likes of Feinstein, Boxer, Brathway-Burke, Molina, and othe CA law makers pushed hard for it.

Depending on what you are cooking, 500 grams of cocaine can make between 1500 and 2000 grams of crack or rock. It is either 3 to one or 4 to 1 depending on what you cook. So if you spend $25,000 to $30,000 on your kilo of powder you can cut it into upwards of $120,000. Very few have the means to buy a kilo of powder but an cluck can steal $30 to $40 bucks to get high. I bet the dude buying weight isn't out stealing your rims or stereo but the clucks spend all night engaging cluckerie for a few bucks to smoke away. This why the difference.

In CA it don't matter anyhow. Prop 36 gives the smoker 3 to 4 tryies before they even go to jail, so whatever.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts