Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found what looks to be a small crack in the suction of my 12JG. It is hard to tell if it is just in the coating. This is on the port side only. Starboard side looks fine. No evidence of the crack on the inside. Is this a typical place for a crack to develop? Is it safe to use or should I start looking for a new suction housing. This is in my 21' Daytona with a full set back and basically stock 454.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Yep, That's where they usually break. Get rid of it and find a new one. I've seen people try to weld them and they usually get the bearing out of alignment from the heat distrotion. The Dominator suction housing is a lot stronger in that area and they will interchange.

Duane HTP

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
not disagreeing with duane. but before i junked it, i'd get a bunch of that hi-tech stuff they call sandpaper, sand it down to bare metal and d/p it to be sure. especially if i can't see daylight through the other side.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Not disagreeing with anyone, but thats where mine broke many years ago before i had ever pulled it out of the boat. When I dug into it - it had been welded and broke a half inch or so above the repair. Damn near sunk the boat, happened right after hitting a good sized wake and hitting the water at idle.:mad:

·
1,814 Posts
I'm convinced. The hunt begins.
post how much you find one for , i am curious. i have two spares but i only need one / the funny thing is that the older one i have is thicker it seems, i dont know if the metal is better & its thicker which would be good ,or if the older one which is not as good as the new one. ..so i am gonna keep both untill i find out. ......:)bulb oh i know one that is at a race shop in sacramento for sale, $300 something 325-350 can't remember, but it is new, unfortunately it is older new meaning it has been probably getting scuffed up in a garrage for a while & was spray canned but never used.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
In total agreement, sand it down see what you really have, IF YOU DONT LIKE WHAT YOU SEE, for a few hundred bucks you can have another suction and sleep at night with your boat dry on the inside.

Seen them bust on the water, turns a good time into total chaos

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Performed a DP test today. I sanded it down, cleaned it with the cleaner, sprayed it with penetrant. I let that sit for 15 minutes. I sprayed cleaner on a clean towel and wiped the excess dye off in one pass. Sprayed the developer and the pics below show the results. Much to my surprise the larger crack on the foot of the rope seal housing appears to have been 100% in the powder coat and not the casting. The foot of the bearing housing shows some porosity but I am not convinced there is a crack there. Comments????

Sanded

Dyed

Developed

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
My first thought was just the powdercoat or paint.

The crack by the packing clamp is not normal, the one by the bearing gusset is but you dont have the horsepower to be cracking the suction like that.

You did the right thing, your good. Run it.

·
1,814 Posts
i just painted my pump & there are parts where it has paint that would not come off with paint remover & after sanding it had a raise area in about the same spots as your concerned area. if you look close it is very smooth & shiny above the so called crack area & below it is poarse....the hard to get area never got stipped all the way & left a raise paint edge is what it looks like to me. either way no crack!!!! rock & roll!:bananadance:

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheap way to test ain't it. Good find, glad you showed the process for others
Was definitely worth the effort. I had seen it done before but I have never done it myself. Super easy process. For the benefit of those who might read this the materials can be bought at any welding supply. It is ~$15 a can for the dye and developer and ~$10 for the cleaner. For a total of $40 you can check for a whole bunch of small cracks. I was fortunate enough to have a buddy that owns a welding shop so it cost me zippo. :)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Also just tell the welding shop that you're a welding student at the local college and you'll get a discount. If the college has welding

1 - 18 of 18 Posts