Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a torque spec on the adjuster nut? Cam is a solid roller.

·
steelcomp was here
26,527 Posts
Is there a torque spec on the adjuster nut? Cam is a solid roller.
I think the nut and adjuster are like all other shaft rockers, so I'd say 30-35 ft lbs. Be sure and turn the adjuster and the nut together and "jamb" the two. Just tightening the nut might allow it to come loose. Obviously you have to allow for that in your lash, too.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks steel, is this able to be converted into half turn, 1/4 turn terms, etc? I dont have a torque wrench that will allow the allen wrenh to pass through it.

·
steelcomp was here
26,527 Posts
Thanks steel, is this able to be converted into half turn, 1/4 turn terms, etc? I dont have a torque wrench that will allow the allen wrenh to pass through it.
Honestly, if you use an end wrench on the nut, and it's 6" long, you have to put 60 to 70 lbs of force on that little wrench. Not much chance of overtightening it. Use your feel and just get the nut good and tight, remembering to tighten them both together like I siad above. You should be all right.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Honestly, if you use an end wrench on the nut, and it's 6" long, you have to put 60 to 70 lbs of force on that little wrench. Not much chance of overtightening it. Use your feel and just get the nut good and tight, remembering to tighten them both together like I siad above. You should be all right.
Ditto what he said. I set my gap using the feeler gauge, then back the wrench off some... say 20-30 degrees, tighten the allen as tight as I can with a t-handle wrench, then pull the wrench back to where my adjustment was, at the same time trying to turn the allen wrench too. That gets everything good and tight. You will have to play with how far to back the wrench off, but will quickly get the feel for it.

·
688 Posts
How much drag(or pressure) should you feel on the feeler guage. Is there a rule of thumb or is this just a feel thing?:)coffee

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
How much drag(or pressure) should you feel on the feeler guage. Is there a rule of thumb or is this just a feel thing?:)coffee

It is mostly a "Feel" thing.
One way to narrow down the "Feel" window is to set them as loose as you can without being able to slide the feeler gauge out side ways. In other words (assuming you are using roller tip rockers) you can slide the feeler gauge in with the roller (coming in from the front) but just can't quite slide it out the side.

Did I make any sense there?!? :)sphss

·
688 Posts
Perfect sense, I work with machinists and was one at one time but micing against a solid object is different. Going sideways would give somewhat the same feel. :)coffee

·
steelcomp was here
26,527 Posts
Warp is right. Definitely a feel thing. The difference between tight and loose is barely a thou...maybe two...most important is you do all the same.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help guys!

Ran the valves today. Went through a few times and was impressed with how well these rockers held the lash. Out of 16 I think I adjusted 3, which I probably could have left as is, but I was being anal. Ill keep an eye on them(and an ear), but after 20 hours of my right foot, Im impressed.

These are not mine but a pic just to show em off.

As they were, most were "tight". I could get the gauge in with a a little effort, but getting it out the side took much more attention.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts