Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gathering parts for the Charity case motor . I Have a nice Two bolt block that will be linehoned with splayed caps , I have a nice set of Crower rods ,My next piece will be the Crank. I am on the look out for a steal crank and i am wondering if there are better castings ( forged ) or better years of forged castings . typicaly the earlier the year the better the metal. What is the optimum crank for a blown alky set up. i want a conservitive motor - so i believe a this will fit the bill . any help or input would be appreciated !

·
Gone
1,833 Posts
What is the optimum crank for a blown alky set up?

It sure isn't anything Chevrolet made.
Callies, Lunati, Crower.
Below that.....Scat 4340.
Maybe Eagle....but given choice Scat.
Howard I dunno.

Not what you wanted to hear.

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the optimum crank for a blown alky set up?

It sure isn't anything Chevrolet made.
Callies, Lunati, Crower.
Below that.....Scat 4340.
Maybe Eagle....but given choice Scat.
Howard I dunno.

Not what you wanted to hear.
ya not -

I wanted to run around a 9oo-1000 hp . I still beleive old cranks better than the china crap .. this is my premis ..

·
Gone
1,833 Posts
No love for China here but still stiffer than the Chevrolet. I have got 2 scats out there in Blown Gas and they are living good. Not flexing and taking main bearings. The Chevy cranks just flex too damn bad especially the last ones they did. The best Chevy crank was the "purple" LS6....still way shy of Scat. Just stay away from the Chevy cranks as it isn't worth it.
Cstraub has deals on Scat. I have bought a couple.
I suggest you fit the mains at .0035 on blown alcohol.

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No love for China here but still stiffer than the Chevrolet. I have got 2 scats out there in Blown Gas and they are living good. Not flexing and taking main bearings. The Chevy cranks just flex too damn bad especially the last ones they did. The best Chevy crank was the "purple" LS6....still way shy of Scat. Just stay away from the Chevy cranks as it isn't worth it.
Cstraub has deals on Scat. I have bought a couple.
I suggest you fit the mains at .0035 on blown alcohol.
Thank you for the input , dooly noted ,

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thank you for the input , dooly noted ,
Hey Lucky
aftermarket would be better,, I think the order of importance is ( in blown alk motor is ), rod's , wrist pin , piston , crank , ( and this just general ),
I have seen gm crank's take a lot of punishment but you know,,,:)st I think fiat know's more than I , that's my .02 worth ,, :)hand ....Eric

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Lucky
aftermarket would be better,, I think the order of importance is ( in blown alk motor is ), rod's , wrist pin , piston , crank , ( and this just general ),
I have seen gm crank's take a lot of punishment but you know,,,:)st I think fiat know's more than I , that's my .02 worth ,, :)hand ....Eric
Yes - I kinda knew it , didn't want to believe it ( china cranks ) So i gues the only right thing to do is save up and buy a good crank ..

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes - I kinda knew it , didn't want to believe it ( china cranks ) So i gues the only right thing to do is save up and buy a good crank ..
Oh btw Mine has burped before and if I had lesser wrist pin's I would have had problem's , ( it flexed the pin but didn't break , took out the bushing thou ) ,,,I run the Feria heavy duty ( well worth their price ) ,, :)hand...Eric

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh btw Mine has burped before and if I had lesser wrist pin's I would have had problem's , ( it flexed the pin but didn't break , took out the bushing thou ) ,,,I run the Feria heavy duty ( well worth their price ) ,, :)hand...Eric
I like the Feria stuff $$$$ but nice

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
I know it's probably too late, but alum. rods help soften the blow to the crank on blown alky.
Sent you a PM. I've got a good deal on Scat stuff as well.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Distinguished Member
5,780 Posts
Waddya guys talking about, Chevy cranks are the BOMB:

Seriously, anything that actually came from Cheverolet has no business in a blown alcohol engine....

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
just get a compstar callies:)devil we're beating the hell outta 1 with majorrrrrrr cylinder pressures and it loved it. well over the 1600hp/tq mark;)

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I got a 4.375 Bryant Billet that would work perfect for him.....double keyed and all!! ;)
4.5 stroke cola in perfect shape would work too, also double keyed:D not spamming or anything lol build a alky 540:)devil:)grn

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For blown alcohol? I don't think so! Here's what I use.

View attachment 61944

Keith Black oldsmobile, cross bolted Y block, Lunati crank
Some day - Till that day - I have a old heavy lake boat that i want to run a honest buck with .

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Some day - Till that day - I have a old heavy lake boat that i want to run a honest buck with .
callies compstar would be my obvious choice if i were building that, ya know they're right and they're cheap, will handle some power too! better quality than scat or eagle, and barely a 100bucks more:)bulb

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
callies compstar would be my obvious choice if i were building that, ya know they're right and they're cheap, will handle some power too! better quality than scat or eagle, and barely a 100bucks more:)bulb
In what way?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts