Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rules say I need a catch can. I've always used a breather in each valve cover. How much ventilation does an engine need?
NA BBC 468 7500 RPM.

My questions
Do I run a hose to a can and plug the hole in the other cover?
Run a hose from each cover to the same can?
If I ran a hose from each cover to 1 can, should it have 2 breathers?
Use a separate can for each cover?
What size of hose should I use?
Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
The rules say I need a catch can. I've always used a breather in each valve cover. How much ventilation does an engine need?
NA BBC 468 7500 RPM.

My questions
Thanks

Tim

Marine parts suppliers sell puke tanks.
I made mine, I took the breathers from my valve covers and had them welded onto a tank I made, then I bought the new part to take the place of the breathers (not sure what there called) on my valve covers from a H/P parts place, they bolt right up to replace the breathers, then run 2 lines to the tank. It can be simple or as high tech as you want to make it.
If your running in a sanctioned event, check the rule book.

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
you can make your own tank like I did! everyone that saw it thought it was one of those IMCO 200.00 dollar jobs, but all I did was scrounge up
2 old chevy pickup A/C driers, cut them in half, used the two smooth halves, welded them together w/ a piece of 1"x2"sq. tube in the top, and
an 1/8" drain in the bottom, and a -16 fitting in each end, and a piece
of 2" strap on top(milled out in the center to drop fit in the sq. tube)
works like a charm! don't even need the drain valve in the bottom.
never so much as had even a drop of oil come out!

·
Registered
877 Posts
NA BBC 468 7500 RPM.

My questions
Thanks

Tim
Jegs has 2 sizes of vertical puke tanks. comes with #10 or #12 fitting and a plug. get an extra # 10 or 12 fitting and then run lines from each valve cover to eac h side of tank. They also have weld on # 10 and 12 fittings if you have aluminum valve covers. You can get it done for under $200

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
you can make your own tank like I did! everyone that saw it thought it was one of those IMCO 200.00 dollar jobs, but all I did was scrounge up
2 old chevy pickup A/C driers, cut them in half, used the two smooth halves, welded them together w/ a piece of 1"x2"sq. tube in the top, and
an 1/8" drain in the bottom, and a -16 fitting in each end, and a piece
of 2" strap on top(milled out in the center to drop fit in the sq. tube)
works like a charm! don't even need the drain valve in the bottom.
never so much as had even a drop of oil come out!

Nice!

1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try again

Since I didn't really get an answer to this, I'll ask it this way.

NA BBC 468 turning 7500 rpm race only.

Will a puke tank with one capped breather like Rex has be enough?
What would be the smallest diameter hose that should be used?
Thanks

Tim

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
I run 3/4 clear hose to my puke tank. Most of the drag boats run the same setup as I run. You can see if your pushing oil thru the hose. Thats a cool lil tattle tale feature to help acknowledge b lowby or valvetrain issues.

I run inco adapters bolted to my v/c's then I have a flare fitting screwed into them. The fitting is a 1"NPT to a -12 male flare. I then have a -12 straight fitting(for push-on clear hose) screwed on to the fitting. The hose runs to the puke tank mounted on my transom. I have 2 breathers on top and a 1/8 drain on the bottom.

·
2,925 Posts
Here is a pic....

Attachments

·
2,925 Posts

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
Here's ours, -12 lines to the tank. The valve cover adaptors are from Rex. Would have liked to have it up higher, but no place to mount it... Fuel tank goes behind it, not pictured in this view

·
Registered
269 Posts
Here is mine. I made mine. I have baffles welded in the inside of the tank as well so if there is oil, it hits the "baffle" and falls to the bottom of the puke tank. I also welded fittings to the valve covers. It also has a drain fitting at the bottom.
T.J.

·
2,925 Posts
Thanks 396, nice looking set up. I think that should work. What size tubes are the filters on?

Tim
Thanks Tim, I would have to measure them. I am guessing that they are roughly 1". You can run a single breather. That tank came with my hull when I purchased it from a guy here on the boards.

·
2,925 Posts
Here's ours, -12 lines to the tank. The valve cover adaptors are from Rex. Would have liked to have it up higher, but no place to mount it... Fuel tank goes behind it, not pictured in this view
Why dont you make a bracket and put the tank right above the top pulley? You can use a simple "L" bracket or a "Z" bracket and bolt it to the front blower cover.

Beautiful Setup David :)

·
2,925 Posts
I "took" the idea of using clear lines from the Top Fuel and Top Alcohol boats. I figured they are using clear lines to see blowby as thier rings dont really "seat" do to not running very long.

The adapters from immco have baffles built in them to keep oil from climbing and out of the tank.

1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys for the pics. Sure helps.

My guess was they were probably 1". I was thinking with 2 breathers on the tank because I have one in each valve cover. That would give the same volume of breathing in the tank. I don't know if it needs that much. The covered breather looks good, but I want to be sure it ventilates all it has to.

Tim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts