Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Large Member
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
455 Olds motor. Need to replace the camshaft due to a sticking lifter which caused a lobe to go bad. What size is the head of the crank bolt holding on the harmonic balancer?

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
455 Olds motor. Need to replace the camshaft due to a sticking lifter which caused a lobe to go bad. What size is the head of the crank bolt holding on the harmonic balancer?
Mine WAS 1/16 bigger than the biggest socket i had....knocked it loose with a hammer and chisel and ground it to fit the socket i had...And ya, i really did that, and no, you can't tell i did it.
As for the size.....i guess it was easier to start a thread than it would be to find a measuring tape:)bulb

And you do have that special puller to get the balancer off, right?

·
Blown, OHBA Member
2,811 Posts
I hope your going through the whole motor. A cam making metal is not good. I would do a complete tear down, inspect and CLEAN everything and then rebuild. Let a good machine shop inspect the block and crank. Also new bearings and rings. Know when it goes back in the boat it's right. It takes less time and money than doing it again. Just my 02

Also a good time to go chevy :)hand You have all winter to switch.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
At Home headed to the shop in a bit and will double check and can't double check but I belive you'll find its 1 1/8 , re the failed cam/lifter like already suggested time to strip it down , this scenario is like the "Sneeze in the theater" in the movie Virus, once the metal part degrades to generate particulate everything oiled is contaminated/infected , Tom

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I just called Websters. Because you just totally re-defined the definition of "cheap, tight ass screw"
Aw come on, you have never heard of rotational mass reduction?:p

And that stuff from the cam lobe....on an olds that is bearing lapping compound. That is how you get proper bearing clearances to make the really big hp numbers. You run straight 30wt walmart oil till the cam goes flat....that is how you tell when it right. Replace the cam, use 50wt val racing oil and 2 bottles of GM eos and it's good to go.

Don't believe me...ask him how much better it runs after he replaces the cam:p:p:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts