Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the determining factors for needing a Jetaway or pop-off valve? Seems like a Jetaway would be a good safety feature on just about any jetboat, but I'm guessing speed and hull design are the most improtant. Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, no opinions? Probably should be more direct.
I have an 18' CP with a BBF in the upper 90's. Based on some of the threads I have read, it sounds like this boat should probably have a Jetaway. Any thoughts?

Also, what kind of change in handling and attitude, if any, can be expected with moving the engine forward to allow for the Jetaway?

Just looking for some experienced input here.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
basically, if you're going to race the boat and go 100 or more, you're required to have either a ratchet or a popoff. 98 isn't 100. so technically you aren't required to have either. but going that fast in a gullwing with neither, if the engine dies on ya at speed, odds are you're going to be outside somewhere looking in. unless you hurt yourself.
it's personal choice, and there are going to be differing opinions. you may have to move the engine forward for a jetaway, but you'll spend more modifying the transom, buying and installing a popoff.
personally, i'm fine with a jetaway only. at some point, I may add a popoff. but that will be an add. there have been guys tossed out that had a jetaway, and guys tossed out that had popoffs. but you stand a better chance of a softer boat landing if you have one or the other. because without either, loss of power will be worse.

·
on 3 go.....
846 Posts
Any safety products should be a welcome addition to a 90mph boat. You can't go wrong with a jet-a-way as it adds some safety and allows you to disengage the motor from the pump when desired. Adding the pop-off valve to our 19' made shutdown a dream and is considered by many to be a "true" safety addition.

There's a few experts that can assist you in the engine relocation and hardware adjustments. GS Marine and B1 are the two I'd recommend.

Post some pics and see ya on the river!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Wow, no opinions? Probably should be more direct.
I have an 18' CP with a BBF in the upper 90's. Based on some of the threads I have read, it sounds like this boat should probably have a Jetaway. Any thoughts?

Also, what kind of change in handling and attitude, if any, can be expected with moving the engine forward to allow for the Jetaway?

Just looking for some experienced input here.
When I got my 19' the first thing I did was call Shoemaker..He told me with MY boat to move the engine forward...I've seen most guys with 18's set the pump back...you can check with Shoemaker or Chris Starkweather...there both Good
Or post this in the Wingers For Life section....some off them hicks got it going.....:wink2:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All good input, thanks.
I doubt I can swing it this year, but I'll be looking around a lot at the regatta to get ideas.
Working on the pics, but right now I can't even get an avatar sized right to be accepted.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
With a jetway, you dont have too, but should have the suction drilled and tapped for the extra bolts, you currently have 4 bolts that hold the bearing cover on, it comes off and jet a way goes in it's place with a few extra bolts, but can be mounted with just the 4, (i could be mistaken) don't no if it has ever done, I have always had my suction housing out and drilled to accept all bolts, want all the holding strength

·
Administrator
16,892 Posts
Mount it with 4 while drilling the other 4. :D

It would leak anyway.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have one on my 18' Gullwing.
It's convienient to disengage the driveline without having to unbolt it. As far as safety goes most race gullwings out there right now just have jet aways very few have pop offs. Nothing wrong with pop offs you just have the cut into the transom because of where most gullwings intakes are installed.

Your driveline needs to be shortened 4 and something inches can't say off the top of my head so depending on how long your drive line is (how far forward your engine is) will determine if your engine placement will change.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Safety and the ability to disengage pump. Safety, can there be too much???? Just my opinion based on experience and a gullwing owner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts