Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to go to Catalina or just cruise the pacific on my Howard 25' Bullet but its open bow.

1. Has anyone gone on a deep V 25' boat? Would my Howard be ok?

2. Is it a problem that its open bow? I'm afraid of ruining the interior from the salt water

3. Should I just forget about it?

Thanks for the input.

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
I ran my 27 Dana there a few weeks back during the rum run. No water came over the bow at all. Just depends on how you run it and what the weather is like that day.

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
Swell reports will be your best friend. The rule of thumb has always been don't plan on going over without the possibility of not coming back until the next morning as the afternoons can really get brutal. I've seen it both ways though and come back in 8'+ seas in the afternoon, which was fun for the first couple miles but got really old after that, and I've come back in the afternoon where the water was smoother than my local lake on a weekday. Just a roll of the dice I suppose. :)

Other than that, trim it high and let it fly!!! :)devil

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
i go there in my 23 laser. salt away is your friend and a good washdown. my boat is also open bow with less freeboard than your boat:)sphss:)devil:)devil

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I ran my 27 Dana there a few weeks back during the rum run. No water came over the bow at all. Just depends on how you run it and what the weather is like that day.
Swell reports will be your best friend. The rule of thumb has always been don't plan on going over without the possibility of not coming back until the next morning as the afternoons can really get brutal. I've seen it both ways though and come back in 8'+ seas in the afternoon, which was fun for the first couple miles but got really old after that, and I've come back in the afternoon where the water was smoother than my local lake on a weekday. Just a roll of the dice I suppose. :)

Other than that, trim it high and let it fly!!! :)devil
good advice ... i have been wanting to do it for a while as well.

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
ive been out there in 7ft seas with 2ft wind chop:))eek:)):))eek:)):))eek:)):))eek:)):))eek:)) and i think there was a small craft advisory on the way back. got a little wet but nothing to be afraid of. ask around here to some of the lavey and shockwave guys they will till you.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
You can still run in 8' seas and 2' wind chop without issue.
It all depends on where your headed in the afternoon once the trade winds kick.

If you launch in San Pedro or up the line somewhere and have to run uphill from the east end of the island to get home in the afternoon, rest assured your taking water over the top. Sometimes the best thing to do here is run up the face of the island to the west end up around Eagle rock and try to 1/4er it or run downhill as much as you can. This is sometimes needed to get back to Long Beach as well.

If you launch in Dana and your headed home from the east end of the island, your running almost completely downhill to the chop and wind, you'll be fine.

Huntington Harbor is mostly downhill to 1/4ering it. Not a bad run in the afternoon, wind definately at your back.

So the answer is yes, you can make it no problem, just pay attention to the seas and wind. I used to fish Clemente in a 16' whaler montauk with no problems and Clemente is twice as far as Catalina. Catalina was a walk in the park.

I Grew up in Long Beach and have made that run to Catalina no less then 500 times. You'll be fine.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I've been wanting to go to Catalina or just cruise the pacific on my Howard 25' Bullet but its open bow.

2. Is it a problem that its open bow? I'm afraid of ruining the interior from the salt water

Thanks for the input.
If you really value your trailer, I would suggest having the boat lifted off and set in the water. Lots of my friends want to do a Cat run sometime in my 30. I told them if they would all pitch in and pay to have it set in the water, I have no problem with it. That salt gets into welds and such and never comes out. If my trailer wasn't nice, closed tubing, I wouldn't worry TOO much about it. Being closed, other than light openings and rear drain holes, there is not much way to effectively wash it completely out.

The drivetrain should be just fine with a good flushing afterward.

If you are worried about water over the bow, just run your bow cover. I understand this is what they were originally designed for anyhow. We all use them as sun protection and whatnot, but I HEAR the snap-on bow covers were originally for keeping water out in ocean conditions.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
You can still run in 8' seas and 2' wind chop without issue.
going at idle speed up and down between the crests;)

Sea swells are measured from the highest point to the lowest point of a wave , not between the crests. I wouldn't want to be in a bowrider going into 8'waves. In decent weather you could take a 18' Bayliner to Catalina :)hand
Shintoooo, go with other boaters and like Jordy said , stay overnight if you have to to ride safely next morning.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
going at idle speed up and down between the crests;)

Sea swells are measured from the highest point to the lowest point of a wave , not between the crests. I wouldn't want to be in a bowrider going into 8'waves. In decent weather you could take a 18' Bayliner to Catalina :)hand
Shintoooo, go with other boaters and like Jordy said , stay overnight if you have to to ride safely next morning.
Keep in mind, swells are a lot different then wind chop.
8' swells 10 seconds apart is like riding your bike up and down hills.
You can run 8' swells at 40 knots if the conditions are right. Hell, we've run 20' swells 15 seconds apart in a 16' boat of the coast of souther cal (yes it does happen) and thought nothing of it. That same boat, I had on the butterfly and the 43 in the same day. It's all about knowing your conditions.

Trade winds in the afternoon play such a big part. If you've got 8' swell and 2' chop against current, you've got to plan your run and think about what your doing.

Don't let the size of the swell scare you. If the wind is going to blow hard that day, chances are the swells tighten and with the added chop, it can make for a long ride. This is why you plan your launch accordingly.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Keep in mind, swells are a lot different then wind chop.
8' swells 10 seconds apart is like riding your bike up and down hills.
You can run 8' swells at 40 knots if the conditions are right. Hell, we've run 20' swells 15 seconds apart in a 16' boat of the coast of souther cal (yes it does happen) and thought nothing of it. That same boat, I had on the butterfly and the 43 in the same day. It's all about knowing your conditions.

Trade winds in the afternoon play such a big part. If you've got 8' swell and 2' chop against current, you've got to plan your run and think about what your doing.

Don't let the size of the swell scare you. If the wind is going to blow hard that day, chances are the swells tighten and with the added chop, it can make for a long ride. This is why you plan your launch accordingly.

Read this guy's posts - He knows what he's talking about.... Big swells spaced far apart are easy and fun... 2' wind waves spaced close together can make for a slow and wet ride across the channel...

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm pretty much aware of what the different conditions are in the ocean . I was caught in a 1974 22' Searay weekender a few times in gail conditions with swells far spaced apart. In early mornings I even ran my low freeboard 20' Spectra jetboat across Georgia Strait in wide spaced rollers, still don't recommend a 23' bowrider in 8' seas.

This 33 Donzi wasn't up to task in 25 knts wind condition to get back to the Fraser Delta [ taking on water over the windshield] and had to turn back to the Island.

When real offshore races were on in the late 70's and 80's most agreed to run any speed in big rollers one needed a 40' boat to span the crests.Otherwise a smaller boat [ less than 24'] bobbing up and down was safe to run.

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
No problem in the ocean.

The one thing most people aren't used to is that the ocean will dictate your speed, not the HP in your boat. I've made it in the dark, whitecaps, big swells, and even rain.

If it gets windy with mixed whitecaps, you'll still make it...it will just be very slow going and wet (and not much fun).

Open bow just means that if you accidentally stuff the nose, the water will need to be pumped out...but you'll still float (unless you are in a 18' bubbledeck with an open bow...lol).

Like everyone mentioned, just be prepared to be flexible. If you're not having fun, you'll want to turn in somewhere.

Here's a pretty good forecast:

http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/fmtbltn.pl?file=forecasts/marine/coastal/pz/pzz655.txt

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts

Thanks for the input.
I suggest you be more afraid of losing your life, the salt water will have no effect on your interior as long as you wash it down after.
Plenty of 25' open fishing boats go on the ocean all the time. But they use twin outboards.
Use your head, check the weather, use the bowcover, test your bilge pump, have a bailing device, check your radio, have your cell phone charged, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I think the best time to go would be in the morning, spend the night there and come back the next day.

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
So I think the best time to go would be in the morning, spend the night there and come back the next day.

That would be the easiest, but like Jordy said, if you're mechanically prepared, don't be afraid of the afternoons. If it kicks up, you'll just have to slow down...but you'll make it.

·
8anned
4,154 Posts

The SCOPE run is coming up next month sometime.....I would try going that day. Good day to see other hardware and they'll be plenty of other boats out there if you go all Force26 out there.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The SCOPE run is coming up next month sometime.....I would try going that day. Good day to see other hardware and they'll be plenty of other boats out there if you go all Force26 out there.

We're not doing the PR this year. This run is put on by Poker Runs West.

http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=43270

It would still be a good one to do though. They are going to run up and down the coast, not over to Catalina but it will give you some good ocean running time.

If you are going to enter the PR you may want to hang back at the start because the water can get pretty stirred up from the big boats taking off.

We're going to do some kind of lunch run on Friday and that would be a good day to get some time in. I'll be there Friday and Saturday and will be running around a lot (taking clients out for rides) so if you want to run just flag me down.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts