Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Impeller sizes. Can one of you guys explain, in general, larger impeller sizes. I have heard of AA, 3A and 4A. Diameters of 9, 9 and 1/4,9 and 1/2 inches. Do these relate to the AA,3A and 4A? I am hoping to put more power to the pump soon. Hoping to dyno in 2 weeks. Where do high helix impellers fit into the mix? Thanks, DEL.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Impeller sizes. Can one of you guys explain, in general, larger impeller sizes. I have heard of AA, 3A and 4A. Diameters of 9, 9 and 1/4,9 and 1/2 inches. Do these relate to the AA,3A and 4A? I am hoping to put more power to the pump soon. Hoping to dyno in 2 weeks. Where do high helix impellers fit into the mix? Thanks, DEL.
Del, there are impellers available up to 5A from AMT. The 5A will need a bowl modification because its so large, the 4A and below do not. You will be limited to what size impeller you can run if your running the smaller suction housing and bowl which only has a bowl register of 9.125, you cant run anything bigger than basically a "AA" with that housing and bowl, in order to the run the larger impellers you will need the more modern suction housing with the larger bowl register and a newer larger bowl. Your other option is to run the adapter ring which is basically a piece of welding rod and it will allow you to run the larger impellers while still using the smaller suction, you would need to bore the bowl ID to accept those parts and so it would fit onto the adapter piece (welding rod) as well.

The high helix offers the same sizes but you will find them harder to turn in the larger cuts. A non hi helix AA thats done right in a good working boat that is loaded properly will require some substantial HP to turn it up to 7000.

Hope that helps a little.

Chris

·
Members only
4,518 Posts
Del, there are impellers available up to 5A from AMT. The 5A will need a bowl modification because its so large, the 4A and below do not. You will be limited to what size impeller you can run if your running the smaller suction housing and bowl which only has a bowl register of 9.125, you cant run anything bigger than basically a "AA" with that housing and bowl, in order to the run the larger impellers you will need the more modern suction housing with the larger bowl register and a newer larger bowl. Your other option is to run the adapter ring which is basically a piece of welding rod and it will allow you to run the larger impellers while still using the smaller suction, you would need to bore the bowl ID to accept those parts and so it would fit onto the adapter piece (welding rod) as well.

The high helix offers the same sizes but you will find them harder to turn in the larger cuts. A non hi helix AA thats done right in a good working boat that is loaded properly will require some substantial HP to turn it up to 7000.

Chris

Chris what hp does it take to spin a hopped up panther pump to 7k?:hmmm:

·
"BOATLESS"
3,468 Posts

Chris
1000hp? More?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Not to thread jack but i have been wondering this myself. I am running a B/C stainless right now turning it to 7200. What would I expect out of a AA or a Hi Helix A? Would it hurt the top end? How much hole shot or et would I gain?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts