Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how often do you guys change your oil and fuel filter?

Im figuring oil and oil filter every 5000

Fuel filter 10000

Chevron 15w-40.....

Sound about right???

I know, I know..... Im opening a can of worms....:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
I change my oil and fuel filter every 3000 miles if you dont you will lose a injector and it could cost you a turbo and a engine if it is a diesel been there done that just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I don't have the 5.9, I actually have the ISM in my coach. But I change the oil every 10k or once a year. I have big rig fuel filter set ups on it, so that only gets changed every couple of years or so (20k?????).

Darrell.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I change my engine oil every 3,000 to 5,000 depending on how much around town & pulling I do.
Fuel Filter every 15,000
Trans flush every 15,000 just cus it a Dodge
Diff's & Transfer case every 30,000.

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
go synthetic and you can go 15 to 20 thousand. ive been a diesel owner for about 15 years and will only use syn oil in my engine. i even have a drain plug with a little on off ball valve to pull samples to have tested and every time i do it at 15000 i dont need to change it but i do anyways. fuel filters every 10 to 12 thousand which is over kill IMO

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a 7.3 ford that i do every 5000, so far no problems 109,000 miles. I would just think that 12 quarts could easily go 5000 with simple everyday driving, not towing... About 2000 miles of the 5000 will be highway, not towing as well......

Personally, i have never had any luck with synthetic in diesels.

Anybody use any additives when they change their oil, lucas, prolong, etc..

How about fuel additives????

If you cant tell it is my first dodge....

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
i have a 7.3 ford that i do every 5000, so far no problems 109,000 miles. I would just think that 12 quarts could easily go 5000 with simple everyday driving, not towing... About 2000 miles of the 5000 will be highway, not towing as well......

Personally, i have never had any luck with synthetic in diesels.

Anybody use any additives when they change their oil, lucas, prolong, etc..

How about fuel additives????

If you cant tell it is my first dodge....
What year is it? Auto or manual trans? Why did you not just swap a Cummins into the Ford?

www.fordcummins.com

Does your 7.3 not run well on synthetic oil? I've been using Rotella syn for almost 40,000 miles in my 06 Dodge with no problems.

I use Opti-Lube XPD fuel and oil additives. Opti-lube is second only to biodiesel in lubricity;

http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What year is it? Auto or manual trans? Why did you not just swap a Cummins into the Ford?

www.fordcummins.com

Does your 7.3 not run well on synthetic oil? I've been using Rotella syn for almost 40,000 miles in my 06 Dodge with no problems.

I use Opti-Lube XPD fuel and oil additives. Opti-lube is second only to biodiesel in lubricity;

http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf
my dad owns the 06 dodge with a auto trans.

ran synthetic in a h1 and had all kinds of issues, weird...

thanks for the info....

·
Country Boy
56 Posts
I've put 220,000 on my 98 12 valve cummins, I would be closer to 7500 per oil change with no issues and she is still stong and running like a top. :D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I mostly used the Chevron 15-40W, I've used the Rotella non synthetic also. The Cummins is a pretty tough motor!!
i use the same stuff in my ford and have had no problems.

my dad just picked the truck up with 45,000 miles on it, real clean. Gonna do a full service for him on saturday and wanted a few tips before i busted some knuckles, thanks...

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
my dad owns the 06 dodge with a auto trans.

ran synthetic in a h1 and had all kinds of issues, weird...

thanks for the info....
H1? Hummer? Never know what you're gonna get with a GM product, plus they have major issues with fog lights and parking lights going out. I would say 98% of the GM trucks and SUVs I see have a fog or parking light out. I've never owned a GM and never will. It's killing me what's happening to Chrysler. :|err :(

Oh and I change oil every 7500 miles and the fuel filter every 10,000.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
H1? Hummer? Never know what you're gonna get with a GM product, plus they have major issues with fog lights and parking lights going out. I would say 98% of the GM trucks and SUVs I see have a fog or parking light out. I've never owned a GM and never will. It's killing me what's happening to Chrysler. :|err :(

Oh and I change oil every 7500 miles and the fuel filter every 10,000.
thanks for the info.

Personally, i think chrysler is gonna be fine.

what oil do you use?

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
Rotella synthetic 5w40

·
Nordic 35' Flame
529 Posts
Rotella synthetic 5w40
Same here - and Fuel Filter every 7,000 - along with tire rotation. Oil I usually let go to 10,000. Just a side note, I am currently driving over 1,000 miles / week. So oil changes add up quick.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i have the 5.9 and left it pertty stock (k&n air filter and a bigger flowmaster) its a 1995 with 397,000 regular oil changes 3-5000 miles fuel filther 10-20K depending where i buy fuel. i run a fuel additive now for addl. lubracation. just rebuilt the tranny the 2nd time. and it would not have needed it if the right tourque converter would have been put in.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have the 5.9 and left it pertty stock (k&n air filter and a bigger flowmaster) its a 1995 with 397,000 regular oil changes 3-5000 miles fuel filther 10-20K depending where i buy fuel. i run a fuel additive now for addl. lubracation. just rebuilt the tranny the 2nd time. and it would not have needed it if the right tourque converter would have been put in.
i heard that the stock torque convertor is a big problem with these trucks...:mad:

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
The last oil test that I had done on mine (2004 Dodge Diesel Auto) the oil had 10,000 miles on it and they said that I could go at least another 2,000 miles before changing again. I don't know if they are accurate or not but I like the oil tests.

Steve

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The last oil test that I had done on mine (2004 Dodge Diesel Auto) the oil had 10,000 miles on it and they said that I could go at least another 2,000 miles before changing again. I don't know if they are accurate or not but I like the oil tests.

Steve
what kind of oil are you using?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts