Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever made anything from scratch? I'm limited on space because the engine is so far back. I did cobble some stuff together but really don't like the end results. The tips are holding together but I don't think this is a long term solution. I can barely get one clamp on each side of exhaust coupling. Anyone have ideas besides switching over to a riser style exhaust?
Gas Bell Machine Kitchen appliance Glass
White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Engineering
Gas Bell Machine Kitchen appliance Glass
White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Engineering

Thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Do you need to run the Snails?
What hull is this and where is your waterline in comparison to your exhaust ports?
I have seen several Campbell day cruisers with no snails but just the 30 degree down turn elbows like you would see on a flat, I believe they rigged them like that originally. I had gone with the log manifolds and snails on my Spectra as I like the old school look, I found some smaller snails that looked really clean. Full disclosure, I had issues with them, and I Hydrauliced my engine and destroyed the block and crank. I did not have flappers on the exhaust and I believe the water did push up over the snails when I was teaching a young man to ski and got into some big waves. I gave the headers to a buddy, let me see if I can get some measurements on them. The set up you have should work as well, the engine is solid mounted you should have limited flex at the transom, anyway to sneak a couple inches of space moving that engine forward or change to a center rise exhaust...I dropped a couple pics of the snails, I never measured them front to back may not be as big of difference as I was thinking, also a look at the center rise, I really didn't want to change but I sure didn't want to build another engine and I am water free for sure with the new exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure the waterline is dang close to the exhaust ports. I have seen the turn downs but I think they are just too low. The original (second rigging of this boat) had cast iron manifolds that were the riser style. I switched to logs to try and gain some space but just ended up shooting myself in the foot. I could move the engine forward but I just restored everything and that would be a freakin pain to do. Like I said they are working like this but everything is so close. I was thinking of making some different risers and moving the exhaust about the water line.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Here are some pics and measurement of the old snails, my buddy still has them on his bench. If you look at one of the pics I loaded earlier you can see that I clocked these on the header to match the valve cover angle, that dropped them lower which is what I believe caused my water issues...

Automotive tire Aircraft Motor vehicle Fender Automotive design
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
300 Posts
Typically the snails are straight up, I rolled them as I thought it looked better, but by doing that I did lower the water line... i went with Dana Headers or the new name is Marine Industries West. A little pricy but full stainless headers and double wall stainless water cooled pipes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts